What do people actually wear on Vista European cruise - 2023-2024

question221

Most of the posts on this subject seem older, and things have gotten more casual.

OK I see the rules for dress code.  We are trying to decide on a cruise and looking at Oceania Vista for a June 2024 cruise.  Seems to say country club casual or resort casual - but also no jeans/shorts/tshirts.

We are lazy packers and it is a 2 week cruise - also after a shore excursion that I would likely do wearing jeans I hate to have to rush to get changed before dinner if I don't have to.  I read that jeans were not permitted "in public areas" after 6 PM and the same with shorts. 

What are the hours for the pool?  Can I not wear a swimsuit and robe to/from the pool even after 6 PM?

We are trying to decide if this cruise is for us.  We love the itinerary.  I like to use a pool to do water aerobics (I have a tape) so I do a lot of jumping around in the pool and want to make sure that facility is there - but I also want to take advantage of the shore excursions.

Several years ago we did a land tour and we were told the dress code was resort casual.  So, this was in Istanbul, we had done a long day of touring and we went back to the room before dinner and cleaned up and "dressed for dinner".  When we went downstairs - we were the ONLY ones that had changed out of their touring clothes and that meant jeans and shorts and whatever.  We are not trying to impress anyone, so would frankly prefer to just dress very casually sometimes involving jeans.

Please let me know the ACTUAL restrictions.  And please don't say eat in your room or in the coffee shop.  We would want to enjoy the amenities of the ship.

Thanks in advance.

We are on a b2b summer cruise and did one this past summer. If you eat in Terrace Cafe, you can wear shorts, jeans, etc. in the evening.

Other venues require men to wear a collared shirt with pants. Women can wear pants, dresses, etc. A few men ear jackets to dinner.

Which cruise are you interested in taking and on which ship?

Rhea

Dinner  starts at 6:30 pm  so you  can change to slacks  for  dining rooms or  wear your jeans in the Terrace  or Pizzaria

I wore jeans a couple of evenings   after 6pm   no one  told me  not to sit  in the bar  area with jeans on

Not sure about the pool hours but  the aft elevators  will take you through  WAVES & Aquamar in the evening   though Aquamar is not open  but  if going for  a swim in the evening I would use the forward elevators  to avoid  the diners

We are looking at the Vista ship and the cruise is from Athens to Trieste.  On some other ships, I have worn nice white jeans with a very nice plain long sleeve t-shirt and a shawl to dinner.  This is so easy for packing to just change t shirts and shawls - and have not had a problem.  But technically they are jeans and technically this is a tshirt.   Our last cruise we brought a pair of khakis for my husband to wear and he wore them the first night, and realized that about half the people were  in "nice" jeans. 

I am also concerned about being able to use the pool at night for aerobics - after 6 PM - as that would require going through public areas.

We are from Arizona and AZ is incredibly casual - you can go anywhere in jeans.  So, this is a departure for us. 

This cruise would be 17 days - so that is a lot of packing if we have to worry about wearing the "right" thing.

33 minutes ago, question221 said:

Most of the posts on this subject seem older, and things have gotten more casual.

OK I see the rules for dress code.  We are trying to decide on a cruise and looking at Oceania Vista for a June 2024 cruise.  Seems to say country club casual or resort casual - but also no jeans/shorts/tshirts.

We are lazy packers and it is a 2 week cruise - also after a shore excursion that I would likely do wearing jeans I hate to have to rush to get changed before dinner if I don't have to.  I read that jeans were not permitted "in public areas" after 6 PM and the same with shorts. 

What are the hours for the pool?  Can I not wear a swimsuit and robe to/from the pool even after 6 PM?

We are trying to decide if this cruise is for us.  We love the itinerary.  I like to use a pool to do water aerobics (I have a tape) so I do a lot of jumping around in the pool and want to make sure that facility is there - but I also want to take advantage of the shore excursions.

Several years ago we did a land tour and we were told the dress code was resort casual.  So, this was in Istanbul, we had done a long day of touring and we went back to the room before dinner and cleaned up and "dressed for dinner".  When we went downstairs - we were the ONLY ones that had changed out of their touring clothes and that meant jeans and shorts and whatever.  We are not trying to impress anyone, so would frankly prefer to just dress very casually sometimes involving jeans.

Please let me know the ACTUAL restrictions.  And please don't say eat in your room or in the coffee shop.  We would want to enjoy the amenities of the ship.

Thanks in advance.

Please- no jeans, shorts, tee shirts in GDR and specialty restaurants for dinner. No bathing suits only in any dining venue at anytime.

O truly is “country club casual.” No need for suits, gowns, etc. 

On my two cruises with O, I wore chinos and polo shirt (as did many other men) which is what I'd generally wear at a "nice" restaurant at home. And that's what I'll be wearing on our 2024 cruise. 

Edited by Harters

16 minutes ago, question221 said:

we also trying to decide between concierge and regular veranda rooms.  All the penthouse suites are wait list only.

the cabin space is the same  but with Concierge you can use  the spa deck Terrace  which have hot tubs & T pool +

Some photos on the Preismans blog   scroll down the page

https://www.thepreismans.com/vista23_2.htm

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Please- no jeans, shorts, tee shirts in GDR and specialty restaurants for dinner. No bathing suits only in any dining venue at anytime.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And we haven't been on Vista (yet?) but Terrace Cafe has had really, really good food. (Steak, lobster, etc.) so it's not like you're depriving yourself of some really good food. And a very attractive venue.

I'm not sure where the OP was reading, but this is O's dress code: https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005474533-Is-there-a-dress-code-

Jeans are a hot topic since the wording changed from "no jeans" to "no casual jeans". If the wearer does not know the difference, the safe choice is not to wear jeans.

Sandals and tennis shoes = athletic sandals and athletic tennis shoes (ladies wear sandals all the time and others black leather New Balance shoes).

Here's the dress code in more detail from a November 2023 Currents:

image.png.acf31a47928d08534bc7f73246bb196f.png

Edited by AMHuntFerry
added Currents pic

If you need to pack light there are laundry facilities so you can wear the right things. The specialty and MDR are not formal but casual clothing like jeans are for the terrace cafe and waves.  Both have great food. I have never seen people using the pool in the evening.  

@question221

You are starting to get some very good answers to your questions so I will add my 2 cents to the mix. You are probably new to Oceania but all Country Club Casual means is you are NOT on a mass market, mega ship with young families and kids in Denny’s, please do not take offense here, using it only as a description folks might visually understand. They would prefer to not see you in “holy” blue jeans and T shirts, nor do you need Sport Coats or Suits or a Tux.  Might you see any of these on your trip, maybe. 
Ladies always know how to dress and look lovely, especially in the GDR and Specialty restaurants. I prefer khaki’s or slacks and a button down L/S shirt as I can be comfortable if the restaurant is a bit cool and maybe a second or third night in that shirt I just add a sweater, no more wrinkles 😇👍. After cocktail hour as people are heading for dinner, most golf shirts are replaced by SS or LS shirts or sweaters, but not always. The last night of any cruise, you will see anything worn as people have packed for their trip home.

The Terrace Cafe is an excellent Buffet and will serve many of the same items you will find that evening in the GDR.  The Aquamar Kitchen will be closed as will Waves but Waves will become a Pizzaria in the evening. That said, since it is adjacent to the TC, you can get items from the buffet and dress up your pizza dinner, lots of available deserts in TC. If we are coming off a long tour, the TC would be our restaurant of choice, especially if we just wanted food and not to shower/clean up for a longer dinner experience. You will be in Europe in June so it will be warming up so you make the call about where to go and what to wear.

I saw a Q about Verandas and a Waitlisted PH asked.  It’s all about real estate; location, location, location when it comes to the veranda staterooms, both the same size but different deck or possibly forward or farther aft. Concierge means more amenities and for the “light/lazy packer” you get three bags of laundry done for you for Free. The Concierge Lounge is nice as well for a little grab and go close by your room and you can get assistance from the assigned Concierge.  There are laundry rooms available on each deck and they too are Free. If interested in a PH but not currently available, book the Veranda of choice and get on the Waitlist for any of the PH levels. A PH is 50% larger than a Veranda stateroom and does come with an additional list of amenities including a Butler AND at a cost.  You decide what you want or need but for us it has evolved into, “Happy wife, happy life” so you can decide what works for you. Yes they are nice and my DW now balks at Veranda rooms, so I created a monster 😇🤪🤬👍

As I recall, the pools are open until 9:00 or 10:00 p.m.  and the Concierge level gives you access to the Spa Deck facilities and pool without charge. 

Have a fantastic cruise and you will enjoy Vista.

Mauibabes

From your description it sounds like you live in a very casual area.  From years of reading posts here and our ten days on Riviera earlier in the year I would say that while Oceania is not dressy, it is also for the most part not that casual either.  As stated above Terrace Grille and waves pizzeria are casual even at night and jeans or shorts are ok.  The GDR and specialties are not that casual.  You can read dozens of posts where jeans were ok, not okay, you name it. The only conclusions I have come to are that dressier jeans may well be okay while sloppy jeans might have them ask you to change.  for what its worth I probably saw more sport coats than jeans although both were in the minority on our cruise.  The night I wore a tie to Jacques certainly had me amongst the most formally dressed on the ship.  I would not hesitate to pack jeans but I would also make sure to take the next level up if you planned to eat in the venues listed. On the plus side, for men at least, khakis take up less room and are lighter than jeans.  Have a great cruise whatever you choose.

• Like 2

North Americans will be dressed very casually. If there are any Europeans, even in their most casual clothing - will look like they are walking down the catwalk at Fashion Week in Paris. 

It is very easy to distinguish between Italians, French, Germans, Spaniards, and those from the Benelux countries. Each is quite distinctive - sadly -we North Americans are slovenly in comparison.

Edited by RD64
Additional
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

If you need to pack light there are laundry facilities so you can wear the right things. The specialty and MDR are not formal but casual clothing like jeans are for the terrace cafe and waves.  Both have great food. I have never seen people using the pool in the evening.  

We ate most of our non-specialty dinners at Terrace Cafe. So, so good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shepherd really said:

" I read that jeans were not permitted "in public areas" after 6 PM and the same with shorts. "

You read wrong, this isn't Cunard in the '90s.

Glad you pointed this out, as I was going to comment that the OP should disregard the source where they read this. There is no general after 6 dress code like you see on some cruise lines. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ORV said:

Oh, and about that tape for aerobics, do you mean that you are playing your own music? If so hopefully you have a set of waterproof Bluetooth headphones. 

HI - LOL - I play loud hip hop at the pool.   just kidding.

Yes - I have headphones and no one can hear anything but me.

I have a WONDERFUL water aerobics workout that I have used for years.  I have waterproof headphones and a waterproof mp3 player with the audio.  I am lucky enough to have a private pool at home and I use it daily.  As a matter of fact, I have 2 mp3 players that I switch off so that they can be fully charged.

The only difficulty I have at public pools is that it involves jumping around and splashing - so frankly - if the pool is empty in the evening - I would pay extra for that:)

When the pool area is crowded - I tend to just skip the workout and frankly, it is so great for my joints to do it that my body truly misses it.  If I don't feel like I can do it  - I guess I can at least use the t-pool to help make up for the loss.

The comments are largely encouraging.  This particular cruise has no sea days so we would be on excursion every day.  Casual dining would work for us if we don't meet the standards for MDR.  I am talking about jeans that meet the "business casual" standard.  We can bring other pants.  I would probably try to use the pool  before eating dinner - especially if it the pool is not crowded.  So casual dining would probably be more flexible for schedule as well.

Just remember,  the written rules are what you should follow.   You don't need to listen to a grumpy old man telling you to wear what they're comfortable with.   You're the one  that needs to be comfortable with your choices.  And that applies for both over and under dressing. 

Edited by Yesimapirate

dont see why vista would be any diff than the other O ships...

just got off 20 days on Marina, TA, Spain, Portugal, Carib

jeans, shorts...

in dining room, casual pants, even jeans with collar shirt.....in specialties also...

love O how casual it is...we travel with carry ons and do laundry....