Any advice for Westerdam?

Vicki'sMom

Westerdam is a great ship.  However, we found when the ship is moving the sound of the engine/propeller (?not sure what causes the noise) is quite loud in the Dining Room, especially in the aft section on the lower dining room floor.  Hopefully it has been fixed by now.

There will be some activities for solo travelers.  Be sure to check them out and ENJOY!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vicki'sMom said:

Can any of you experienced HAL cruisers offer any advice?  TIA!  

We cruised (a transAtlantic) on the Westerdam's sister, the Zuiderdam, in cabin 10021 -- an inside with a window! It was surprisingly roomy. The window looks on to a walkway that circles the opening to the Lido pool below; the door to the walkway is right outside the cabin door if you like to take a walk!

Negatives: no sofa, no drawers (other than under the bed and one in each nightstand). We knew about this thanks to a mini-review on HalFacts.com, and I brought closet organizer tray-boxes from the Dollar Tree, that fold flat in the luggage. There were plenty of shelves in the closet nearest the living area to use these trays.

Positives: besides the outside walking area, it was also steps from the Crows Nest and one floor down plus the length of the pool led to the Lido Market buffet. The Crows Nest is a 180-degree viewing lounge with the Exploration Cafe (upcharge espresso drinks), the Crows Nest bar, and plenty of comfy seating; rumor has it that it is also the home of a newly recharged library setting, I think that's true on the Vista ships which Westerdam is one of four. No bathtub, a positive for us, although the single-width shower had a curtain, not glass, we still prefer that to stepping over the side of a tub.

We only ever felt motion that was like being rocked to sleep, not seasick making and my husband has a history of Mal de Mer.

Here is that review and gallery

https://halfacts.com/vista-class/10024-zuiderdam/

The two cabins are 10021 starboard and 10024 port. 10021 would be right-left mirror image. If you click "Vista Class" at the top, you can scroll down to see 10024 on the other two sister ships.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, REOVA said:

What do you like about the other cruise lines? Then we can answer better about Westerdam. 

That's a good question!  On Norwegian, Celebrity and MSC (which I forgot to mention in my original post!), I love their "private" area (Haven, Retreat, Yacht Club).  I get overwhelmed in crowds so I've found these areas to be perfect and relaxing for me, although pricey.  I think Westerdam being a smaller ship (under 2,000 passengers I believe), I would be okay!  I have never cruised "solo", but since losing my husband a year ago, this is becoming my reality.  

I'm not sure how dining would work, but I have no problem sharing a table - in fact, I prefer that to eating alone.  Do they assign dining times?  I am used to dining on my own time schedule. 

Thank you for any information!  😊

12 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

We sailed on the Westerdam from Seattle to Japan two months ago (October 2023).

The ship was in great shape, very clean, fantastic crew, engaged & visible captain....did not experience any engine noise.

That's encouraging!  👍  The reviews I read were far from "glowing" and that concerned me.  I know I shouldn't put much faith in reviews as those who are unhappy will post more often than those who loved something!  

• Like 2

I have to say that Westerdam was our best cruise with HAL out of the last 5 HAL cruises. I personally love the Vista Class ships. Had by far the best service and thought food was so much better. I have rebooked her for Alaska this coming August.

• Like 4

Have sailed Westerdam three times, the last in July. The crew is great and the ship is wonderful. I am also sailing alone now and my suggestion would be that you avoid the dining room the first night. Consider one of the other dining venues. 

The line is awful! You can choose your time to dine when you book. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Sailed on Westerdam transpacific in 2022.

If booking a verandah on Vista class (like Westerdam is), suggest avoiding Deck 5 (although the true amidship cabins are only on Deck 5) as these have balconies with about 18 inches of less depth - hard to stretch legs out IMO.  Balconies forward and aft of teh "lifeboat cut out" don't have these issues....The "V" Cabins near amidship elevators on Deck 6 have privacy issues due to glass sided elevators adjacent.  Suggest you consider 6047-to 6053 (all Deck 6).  6053 is a great V cabin! We try to avoid Deck 8 at all costs....noisy above. 

Good luck.  One good thing about Westerdam is that ship has a large number of Signature Suites. Opportunities for upsells are better than most ships.  We snagged a Signature Suite (from Verandah) on Deck 6 for only $599 a person on a 36 day cruise.  Amazing deal. 

2 hours ago, Vicki'sMom said:

That's a good question!  On Norwegian, Celebrity and MSC (which I forgot to mention in my original post!), I love their "private" area (Haven, Retreat, Yacht Club).  I get overwhelmed in crowds so I've found these areas to be perfect and relaxing for me, although pricey.  I think Westerdam being a smaller ship (under 2,000 passengers I believe), I would be okay!  I have never cruised "solo", but since losing my husband a year ago, this is becoming my reality.  

I'm not sure how dining would work, but I have no problem sharing a table - in fact, I prefer that to eating alone.  Do they assign dining times?  I am used to dining on my own time schedule. 

Thank you for any information!  😊

We are sold on "SWAS" concept and especially Yacht Club. It's the best value for us. HAL doesn't have that or come close to the amenities they offer via private area, restaurant, pool, butler, entertainment etc. But those ships are too big once you step outside the suite area. HAL is more of a relaxed sailing overall with much smaller ships, which we prefer and on the older ships, a full wide wrap around promenade walking deck with lounge chairs to read a book, watch the seas or chat with new friends. The entertainment is much less than the other lines but the food is good (hit or miss on any line) and the crew is wonderful if you interact and get to know them (some are new and shy at first but open up when you smile 😃 ). The larger Pinnacle Class ships have more options for food and some more music but are bigger and you lose the wide promenade seating and crew and dining can be more chaotic. Westerdam, as with many of HALs older ships, will show its age and many people will point everything out but most overlook them and enjoy being on the water or the itinerary. You won't have the production shows compared to the other lines but there will always be something to do, if not just reading a good book in the sea air or meeting with other solos. The cabin choices are key as others said these ships have exterior elevators on the sides which lessens the balcony privacy for cabins closest as the car moves up and down. Choose a cabin between other cabin decks and not deck 4 (above music) or deck 8 (below the Lido).  We usually book midship Veranda or Signature Suite staterooms on deck 6 or 7. Signature Suites are larger than Verandas but neither are true suite experiences like the other lines (nor priced like them).  Neptune suites are much larger than Yacht Club but more pricier. You get a separate lounge area (small interior space) but nothing like Haven, Yacht Club, etc. The lounge area has 2 person concierge  crew that handle all guest services and excursions for Neptune Suites (and above) and also has small selection of snacks and drinks. Again, not up to other line Suite experience. We find the Neptune cost/reward no longer benefits us (we have sailed from 7 days to 113 days in Neptune) and enjoy Signature "suites" or Verandas just fine (neither have concierge service and amenities.) Our next cruise on Westerdam is 53 nights and we can't wait to get back to her. 

• Like 3

Love the comments to "avoid Deck 8", because this might explain why the entire deck 8 cabin choice is  cheaper, when "choosing your own cabin".

We always choose Deck 8 when we can, because we  love being only one stairway away from the upper Lido deck. No waiting for elevators to enjoy most of what we like about  the ship. Just when we want to get back to our cabin from the lower MDR/ShowRoom decks. 

Some occasional daytime noise, (chair scraping) but never a deal killer. Pay attention to what is directly above you, and you can do very well on Deck 8.

We were even directly under the Dive In on our last cruise and there was zero noise in our cabin with only some muffled scarping when on the verandah. Great location. Think about the hours of any Lido deck activities above you, most of them have shut down at night so they would not disrupt sleep. 

Being under the carpeted Lido seating sections would have been even better. We have never heard noise drifting over from the above the outdoor pool area, since glass walls encircle it so any noise goes more up, rather than around and down to the Deck 8 verandahs.

I'd better quit, or else these Deck 8 secrets may be ruined for us forever. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

REOVA and OlsSalt:  Thank you both for your detailed information.  It's really helpful!  I'm thinking of booking the Sydney to Auckland 14-day (my son & daughter-in-law live in Wellington NZ) so the ship's entertainment, having a suite with lots of amenities, etc isn't as important to me for this cruise.  I love the itinerary!  I haven't been to AU/NZ since 2017 (2020 was canceled) and I'm anxious to get back!

Thanks again!  🥰

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vicki'sMom said:

I would definitely book a Veranda.  

Well, then -- you can ignore my description of cheaping it out in the "inside with a window"! There are verandahs on the Observation Deck (we have one booked on two 35-day Vista cruises: the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam B2B2B) BUT the balconies are very shallow!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vicki'sMom said:

REOVA and OlsSalt:  Thank you both for your detailed information.  It's really helpful!  I'm thinking of booking the Sydney to Auckland 14-day (my son & daughter-in-law live in Wellington NZ) so the ship's entertainment, having a suite with lots of amenities, etc isn't as important to me for this cruise.  I love the itinerary!  I haven't been to AU/NZ since 2017 (2020 was canceled) and I'm anxious to get back!

Thanks again!  🥰

You will enjoy it. Its a beautiful itinerary. Mind the Tasman Sea. Take ginger candies just in case (my DW's best choice). 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vicki'sMom said:

On Norwegian, Celebrity and MSC (which I forgot to mention in my original post!), I love their "private" area (Haven, Retreat, Yacht Club).  I get overwhelmed in crowds so I've found these areas to be perfect and relaxing for me, although pricey.  I think Westerdam being a smaller ship (under 2,000 passengers I believe), I would be okay!  I have never cruised "solo", but since losing my husband a year ago, this is becoming my reality.  

My understanding is that HAL has deliberately configured the layout of its ships to provide a looser "pack" than the other cruise lines. As a result, it's easy to find relatively quiet nooks for reading and/or daydreaming. I think it contributes to a mellower atmosphere.

Condolences on the loss of your husband. My he rest in peace.

DW and I have had many pleasant mealtimes in the Lido Market sharing a table for four with another couple. If you ask, "May I join you?" you can gauge from the reaction how receptive your would-be tablemates are. Almost invariably we are welcomed, and when we are already occupying a table for four, awe are always welcoming to others who come to join us. Sometimes you end up sharing cabin numbers and make arrangements to dine together in the MDR. And you can always present yourself to the MDR maitre d' and tell her/him that you would be happy to join with others in forming a table.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Petronillus said:

you can always present yourself to the MDR maitre d' and tell her/him that you would be happy to join with others in forming a table.

The host/hostess will give you such a smile when you tell them "shared table" or "wherever is easiest for you". 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Petronillus said:

My understanding is that HAL has deliberately configured the layout of its ships to provide a looser "pack" than the other cruise lines. As a result, it's easy to find relatively quiet nooks for reading and/or daydreaming. I think it contributes to a mellower atmosphere.

Condolences on the loss of your husband. My he rest in peace.

DW and I have had many pleasant mealtimes in the Lido Market sharing a table for four with another couple. If you ask, "May I join you?" you can gauge from the reaction how receptive your would-be tablemates are. Almost invariably we are welcomed, and when we are already occupying a table for four, awe are always welcoming to others who come to join us. Sometimes you end up sharing cabin numbers and make arrangements to dine together in the MDR. And you can always present yourself to the MDR maitre d' and tell her/him that you would be happy to join with others in forming a table.

Thank you for your kind words and the great information!  

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The host/hostess will give you such a smile when you tell them "shared table" or "wherever is easiest for you". 

My husband and I had so many fun experiences requesting "shared table" in the main dining room on NCL Gem.  I was hoping Covid didn't ruin that!  

I just booked the cruise - it's not until March 2025, but that will give me plenty of time to prepare!

I did book a Signature Suite on Deck 6,  😊

• Like 3

On 12/10/2023 at 3:43 PM, Vicki'sMom said:

Thank you for your kind words and the great information!  

My husband and I had so many fun experiences requesting "shared table" in the main dining room on NCL Gem.  I was hoping Covid didn't ruin that!  

I just booked the cruise - it's not until March 2025, but that will give me plenty of time to prepare!

I did book a Signature Suite on Deck 6,  😊

Congrats on the booking; we quite enjoyed the Sign Suite deck 6 on Eurodam. Hope to see pictures and read your feedback in a year+.

Condolences on the loss of your husband - I hope you find peace  during your cruise. You will have a lovely balcony for reflection and rejuvenation. 🙏

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Congrats on the booking; we quite enjoyed the Sign Suite deck 6 on Eurodam. Hope to see pictures and read your feedback in a year+.

Condolences on the loss of your husband - I hope you find peace  during your cruise. You will have a lovely balcony for reflection and rejuvenation. 🙏

Thank you!  I am looking forward to relaxing, reflecting, and rejuvenating.  ❤️‍🩹