We went "overboard" for our first cruise, and probably wont do that again..

D_And_K_gocruising

For our first cruise we did a spa club balcony, with vibe pass, did the upgrade for the unllimited inet / extra dining / p+ beverage package.  We also planned on spending 99.9% of the time on the ship.  Out of all of those things probably the only thing I would do again, is the vibe.. I did really enjoy that when available (of course that's the chance you take)    Not saying others would not enjoy the other stuff, but for us, I went to the spa 1 time, it was nice, but just dont think we'd ever use it.  Wife never stepped foot into it.  As far as the prem plus beverage.  Again, others may find that a great value, and I had planned on "experiencing" some "higher end" spirits.. Nope, I found out that I just really, really like my long island iced teas.. They make me happy lol.. The specialty dining, we actually left with one credit unused.    Was super disappointed in teppenyaki and also moderno.  Cagneys though.. LOVED it.   At teppenyaki, somehow the food was just bland.. we watched them put like butter and soy sauce and other stuff on the chicken and steak.. But when it came time.. 😞   Moderno, all the meats just seemed dried out and just not good.  Salad bar was nice though.  The filet and the special Brazilian meat was good.  So on our next cruise, we are focusing on more minimal and just taking advantage of what is included with the FAS and complimentary dining.    Except the unlimited internet, I will get that as I like to post way too much stuff lol.   Why did I make this post?  No clue, just wanted to share how we really enjoyed our first cruise, but dont need all that "stuff" to enjoy it..   What are your thoughts on "going cheap"?  

• Like 16

Seems like you got it out of your system and now understand what you consider a useful value to you when cruising.  Dropping what you suggest you are going to drop sounds smart, not "cheap".

Me? When we cruise, as former Haven regulars who used to buy spa passes, we pivoted: we get a club balcony, buy the Vibe, and don't bother with anything higher than the standard FAS.  That continues to be our sweet spot.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That's the only way I know how to cruise.😎

We (I) went overboard because I wanted my wife to have the most options to her.. But afterwards, she's like I'd be fine in a small room and deal with the transporter tube shower to be able to spend lots less money.. Her fun was watching "Live TV" as she called it.. She would find a nice comfortable chair in the atrium, get her drink and just... watch the trivia or game shows, or contests, or music, or.... whatever.. She 100% thoroughly enjoyed herself doing that lol.. Granted we did get to watch the bonus deal or no deal where a 10 year old boy and his grandma cleared the board and won $1000.. The place went crazy! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Seems like you got it out of your system and now understand what you consider a useful value to you when cruising.  Dropping what you suggest you are going to drop sounds smart, not "cheap".

Me? When we cruise, as former Haven regulars who used to buy spa passes, we pivoted: we get a club balcony, buy the Vibe, and don't bother with anything higher than the standard FAS.  That continues to be our sweet spot.

The vibe, while it is a crap shoot, I just dont see use NOT getting it IF the ship has it.. Not that it was horrible to get a drink normally, even busy times IF you didnt mind looking for that "sweet spot" that wasnt busy.. The vibe... just cant say enough lol.. After we do an interior (yes we are wanting to try that) that will tell us for sure if that "economical" is for us or if we would at least need a balcony.. Or we'll start interior and just see if we get lucky on an upgrade offer.. /shrug lol.. 

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed your cruise and happy to read you appreciated the Vibe.   

We are more than happy with our club balcony suite (for the bathroom), Vibe passes and four specialty meals (two as platinum).    As I stated many, many times, we will not cruise without the Vibe passes if the ship has a Vibe.   

• Like 6

We price up the basic cruise, inside GTY no FAS.

Then review the add-ons for value

Pick a cabin,

FAS (don't need FAS+)

OV

Balcony and higher options

Extra dinners(going off those get latitude ones)

Etc.

Not bothered with Vibe never had a big problem with getting drinks(except when they run out of stuff) and don't do lounging in the sun.(if reasonable will consider)

It's a numbers game more days for the same  money.

If we were more time constrained then it changes the value proposition.

We value cabin space over a balcony when available handy for longer trips.

When sleeping or just watching a bit of TV does not matter how big the cabin is.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with going cheap. We have done that for years. By booking an inside cabin and only getting the promo (drinks and dining package) we are able to cruise a month out of a year. If we went hog wild and booked everything and Haven then we might go one week a year. No thanks, I prefer my month or more a year of cruising.

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 6

I cruise solo and have to pay double for the privialge, so I always ways book the cheapest inside cabin, I just sleep and shower in it. The Free at Sea package is great value, thats my drinks covered , 150 minutes wifi, just enough to message home and do Facebook posts, $50 per cabin per Excursion credit which makes some excursions great value or some of the cheaper ones free and one speciality meal free . Plus I’m now Sapphire Latitudes with the extra perks that brings. Great Value without breaking the bank

Edited by GLYNAGP
  • Like 7

I used to always go cheap.  That's why I can now cruise in the Haven. 

As you get closer to your sunset, you will recognize the truth in these sayings:

"Life is too short to drink cheap wines." 

"If you don't fly first class, your grand kids will."

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

New to NCL, what is "Vibe"?

Vibe Beach Club is the pay to use outside deck.  It is less crowded and you can get a lounger since they don't sell more passes than they have loungers.  They also usually have hot tubs.  

I usually don't do any upgrades other than internet but went with the FAS+ this time.  Was already planning to upgrade the internets to unlimited, I have 3 restaurants currently booked and going to add a fourth when on the ship and booking two excursions that are the same or less than third party so I can take advantage of the extra $50 credits.  Once everything was considered, it made sense to upgrade everything and get the higher priced wines and whiskeys.  

4 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@D_And_K_gocruising

What are your thoughts on "going cheap"?  

That is the only way to go!!   How else can a retired teacher and retired pharmacist afford 100+ days a year cruising?   Inside cabin and nothing put on the ship account!!   Just take what is available "free".

Sell the house and go ALL IN!!

😲

• Haha 2

Thanks for walking us through it.  You kind of reflect my feelings about Moderno and Tepenyaki.  I do like Modernos's salad bar.  The meats?  I am like you....not my fave.  Teppanyaki....have eaten at those types of restaurants many times.  They're all about the same.  You pay for the show.  Although, they do a nice "non fried" calamari.

I vacillate....sometimes I'll go all out if I find a deal on the Haven ($4,500 or less).  But, I've been known to cheap out, too.  A year ago last Fall I found a New England/Canada cruise.  ~$800 all in with FAS.

Never found the value in the VIBE.  I can always find a bar that's not crowded and am always able to find a seat somewhere outdoors, particularly on the -Away and Away plus ships.  But, I know I'm in the minority.

My good friend @ChiefMateJRK is a pro at finding $100 (or less)/nite cruises.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

What are your thoughts on "going cheap"?  

Medium.

We generally stick to the FAS, plus we are now sapphire and get a couple extra specialty dining meals.  We do not do spa, extra internet, or high-end liquors.

We do like a nice cabin, now a days always a balcony or better.  Suites when they are not too pricey.

We do spend on excursions.  After the $50 off, and now 15% sapphire discount, they are mostly not too bad.  But at certain ports we are good to go it alone to save $..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I used to always go cheap.  That's why I can now cruise in the Haven. 

As you get closer to your sunset, you will recognize the truth in these sayings:

"Life is too short to drink cheap wines." 

"If you don't fly first class, your grand kids will."

Great quote. Love it and try to live by it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

Great quote. Love it and try to live by it. 

Warning!  Contrarian opinion ahead.......

I would rather risk my Grandkids throwing away money than throwing it away myself.  If they grow up to be idiots (they won't), I'm sure I can find a charity that can provide more benefit to someone in need than I would derive from an expensive first class seat that I don't need.  Of course, there are other ways to provide for grandkid's real needs without handing them the keys.

Cheap wine is fine regardless of how long my life is.  I am 100% certain that I enjoy my cruises with cheap wine and inside rooms than some with the premium plus plus plus packages and a butler.  Easy to prove.  Just review the numerous threads on the forum posted by people that were miserable because their Haven room was noisy, or their butler was not attending constantly to their various "needs."  Life is fun in steerage.  Just watch that movie with Rose and Jack.🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2