LIVE from the Viking Neptune World Cruise includes FTL and LA

BobCatter

4 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Sounds like an inauspicious start. Hopefully things will improve shortly. If not, maybe you could grab a ride to Clay’s ship instead. (Sounds like their food is better, at least.)

It would have to be. I’ll get into some detail tomorrow.

Yes we had tv and now it seems to be on the blink again.  

I have not been very active so far.  Trying not to come across to negative.

Any opinions I might put out are mine alone and are coming from this being our third Viking World Cruise. 

I know food is very subjective and I am basing my observations on lots of Viking food consumed.  The food overall is just not that good.  Repeatedly beef in things like stir fry, stews, etc. has been very tough.  I had a pretty good NY strip in the Restaurant but, to echo several others on other threads, the bistecca in Manfredi's was thinnish and not very tasty.  The meal in Manfredi's was the worst we have ever had.  Plain, under seasoned and Lois's clams and mussels were like none ever seen before on a plate.  Very small.  I mean very small.  The clams shells were approximately 1" long.  And soups.  In all venues, especially Manfredi's, soups are very watery and not flavorful .  Even new england clam chowder was watery.  I have met Chef Willy and spoken with him and he seems very nice and very accomplished.  Somewhere between Chef and the ones actually preparing the dishes there is a management/training problem.  Again, this has never been the problem on Viking before.  Heck, even I can make soup.....

Previously on Viking the wood rails were always maintained impeccably.  Lots of places around the ship, including our balcony, where the varnish appears to have not been touched since the ship left Fincantieri.  Our room and our attendant are perfectly clean.

One last thing for now, after six sea days we arrived in Honolulu.  First time in all our wc travels that arrival was not met with something special.  Bands, dancers, folks in native costume or something else.  Sometimes some trinkets as gifts.  This time nothing.  Not even a banner with a beer logo saying "Welcome Viking World Cruisers".  What happened to hula girls and leis??  Must have watched too much Hawaii 50 and Magnum PI.

Ok, enough for now.  Time to get dressed and head to happy hour. 🥃

• Like 2

I am so sorry to hear this, especially because we are on Neptune after you,  I have said this several times before on different threads, but when you mention that something is amiss to the waiter, they send out the chef (I always want to climb under the table.). And every single time, the chef has said, “ I know how to make X, but Viking wants me to make it this way.  Come again and I will make X properly for just you.”  Viking, are you listening??

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I am so sorry to hear this, especially because we are on Neptune after you,  I have said this several times before on different threads, but when you mention that something is amiss to the waiter, they send out the chef (I always want to climb under the table.). And every single time, the chef has said, “ I know how to make X, but Viking wants me to make it this way.  Come again and I will make X properly for just you.”  Viking, are you listening??

I agree some things are not as good. I also agree with @Jim Avery that the soups are very watery where previously they had always been fantastic and creamy.
I have not had a bad meal just some that leave a lot to be desired. I had the chicken cashew starter the other day and not a single cashew. I did let the waiter know as did the gentleman sitting at the next table. 
I had a cooking class and was fortunate to meet Chef Willy and he stated he spent two months at home planning the menu for the Sky and the Neptune and said since it is a WC he has free range and does not have to follow corporate exactly. Now sourcing those foods is whole other matter. 
We ate at the Chefs Table last night and it was delicious. 
The fresh tuna tacos were great pool side today. 

4 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

“Our room and our attendant are perfectly clean.”  @Jim Avery, did you mean to say something else regarding the room attendant?

No, sorry, I was getting distracted while writing.  Teddy is as close to perfect as it gets.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

ree some things are not as good. I also agree with @Jim Avery that the soups are very watery where previously they had always been fantastic and creamy.
I have not had a bad meal just some that leave a lot to be desired. I had the chicken cashew starter the other day and not a single cashew. I did let the waiter know as did the gentleman sitting at the next table. 

I’d call that a bad meal.  I remember the mushroom soup in Manfredis that was so thick and creamy that I had to add a little white wine to thin it down. On our WC the chef, Thomas, was German.  We had lots of German meals.  Not quite my cup of tea.  But I will say, that went we did the inaugural welcome back to Iceland in 2021, our chef was just in awe that we had chef Thomas.  He insisted on carrying every plate to our table himself,  it was quite embarrassing.  I really liked him and his food, but can’t remember his name.  

Edited by SantaFe1

1 hour ago, DJVKN said:

I had a cooking class and was fortunate to meet Chef Willy and he stated he spent two months at home planning the menu for the Sky and the Neptune and said since it is a WC he has free range and does not have to follow corporate exactly. Now sourcing those foods is whole other matter. 
We ate at the Chefs Table last night and it was delicious. 

Any idea why if he had two months to plan we aboard Sky are having lots of Caribbean dishes and tonight as we head to BoraBora it was Greek Salad night?   And one of the days on the way to Hawai’i the destination menu was “New England”?😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I spoke with Chef Pepi this evening and he will be boarding Neptune when you get to BoraBora to present his Chef’s Table Japanese Menu.  If reservations are open go ahead and make them now-it was a delicious meal!  You can see our review over on the Chef’s Table tread.  Hopefully it will be a permanent addition to the rotation. 

https://frenchefs.com/pepi-anevski-world-sushi-champion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Any idea why if he had two months to plan we aboard Sky are having lots of Caribbean dishes and tonight as we head to BoraBora it was Greek Salad night?   And one of the days on the way to Hawai’i the destination menu was “New England”?😳

I don’t know why but he did allude to there being difficulties in sourcing some things which of course would be out of his and Vikings control. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, tried that.  Watery soup is watery soup no matter whaat planet you come from.....🍸

Jim, interesting you should mention about the watery soups.

We've always enjoyed the full bodied soups on our many Viking trips.  However, we were on Neptune on the pre-journey Lisbon to FLL in December - and this watery soup condition is exactly what we encountered.  Several of us mentioned it and wondered what happened?  It was especially notable in my usually favorite split pea soup, which was so liquid it was better eaten with a straw and lacked any flavor.   So maybe it is just the Neptune with the issue.  So sorry!!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

Question for anyone who has been to Tahiti before:

West Coast or East Coast for views/photos/etc? Any thoughts on which might be more interesting photographically?

I was there Dec 1 on the Star. When you get off the ship and go through the gate if you turn right there are folks selling tours. I did a van tour with 4 other people. Air conditioned. MAKE SURE!! The first van wasn't so we got off. The heat is oppressive. Our driver took us completely around the island. Many beautiful photo stops, blowhole, beaches, parks, etc. At one point we had to turn around and go back the way we came because there had been a rockslide. We still saw the entire perimeter, instead of a circle we did 2 half circles. The driver was great and took us a few extra places. He stopped at a very large store kind of like a big Target for the other folks in the van. They wanted alcohol and one couple bought some Tahitian shirts for themselves and friends. Very good price for the shirts. They had everything you could think of in that store. I think the tour was $60 or so? 4 or so hours? It was a highlight. And the 2 couples with me were awesome. The driver knew the great photo stops for sure.