Reviews of Sapphire Princess?

latebuyer

I’m interested in potentially cruising on the sapphire princess. Port times in san diego and san  francisco are fabulous 8am to 10pm. I’ve sailed on brilliance of the seas which is an older ship so i’m not specifically concerned if its ageing in places. Anything specific i should know, good or bad? Cruise is may25 los angeles to vancouver.

Edited by latebuyer
  • Like 1

Sapphire is possibly my favorite Princess ship, certainly in the top three. A good size, it's got a very nice promenade deck and I like the variety in MDR design. I was last on it in August and, despite being full, everything was running smoothly and the crew were great.

walkingsoon

• Like 6

8 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks Coral, why is it your favorite?

It is not a mega ship. It has 500 less passengers than Crown, Emerald, Ruby and practically the same size ship. It has an International Cafe and Alfredo's pizzeria. It has a covered pool which helps crowds when the weather doesn't cooperate to spread people out so it doesn't seem as crowded. I was on the Crown in bad weather and the ship just seemed so crowded due to the extra 500 passengers and not having a covered pool area.

The Promenade deck is extra deep on these ships (Sapphire and Diamond were built alike but are no longer alike) and were built in Japan which I think is a better shipyard. It just feels like a better built ship compared to the next ships built in Italy. There are teak lounging chairs on the promenade deck which is great to sit and read or watch scenery go by. The fact that is has a promenade deck vs the newer ships do not is a plus for me as I like to be here on glacier days in Alaska. Even on a coastal - nice to sit out there on a covered deck and be protected from elements and read a book.

For me, the larger ships the better is not a statement I would say. 

The dining rooms are a tad different as they are cut in half and have different decor but they all serve the same food (now). It is nice to not have the very large dining rooms though and have different decor.

I have been on this ship the most and it has never seemed crowded. I can't say that over some of the ships that came after that. Especially with the Ruby, Crown and Emerald - going to the Theatre can be crazy when trying to get a seat. Not as much on this ship. I have also had the atrium seem crazy crowded on the ships after but not on this ship. I think it is the space ratio that matters on this ship. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

You're only going to be on the ship four days so really, in terms of a cruise, all you'll get is a brief look; passing impressions.

The Sapphire is one of the two last of the great Princess ships. After this, they started overcrowding with the one-off Caribbean and other Gem class. The Sapphire, along with the Diamond, was built in Japan and one of the engineers told me these two ships have the fewest maintenance issues of all Princess' fleet. It figures!

This will be a different style of cruising than what will be offered on the Sun and Star, which you might as well sail MSC, RCL or Carnival in terms of crowding. Enjoy and remember it. This style of cruising will also go away in a few years.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Coral said:

It is not a mega ship. It has 500 less passengers than Crown, Emerald, Ruby and practically the same size ship. It has an International Cafe and Alfredo's pizzeria. It has a covered pool which helps crowds when the weather doesn't cooperate to spread people out so it doesn't seem as crowded. I was on the Crown in bad weather and the ship just seemed so crowded due to the extra 500 passengers and not having a covered pool area.

The Promenade deck is extra deep on these ships (Sapphire and Diamond were built alike but are no longer alike) and were built in Japan which I think is a better shipyard. It just feels like a better built ship compared to the next ships built in Italy. There are teak lounging chairs on the promenade deck which is great to sit and read or watch scenery go by. The fact that is has a promenade deck vs the newer ships do not is a plus for me as I like to be here on glacier days in Alaska. Even on a coastal - nice to sit out there on a covered deck and be protected from elements and read a book.

For me, the larger ships the better is not a statement I would say. 

The dining rooms are a tad different as they are cut in half and have different decor but they all serve the same food (now). It is nice to not have the very large dining rooms though and have different decor.

I have been on this ship the most and it has never seemed crowded. I can't say that over some of the ships that came after that. Especially with the Ruby, Crown and Emerald - going to the Theatre can be crazy when trying to get a seat. Not as much on this ship. I have also had the atrium seem crazy crowded on the ships after but not on this ship. I think it is the space ratio that matters on this ship. 

This☝️+1

• Like 4

Thanks everyone. This is good to know. Thanks to Coral for such a detailed review. Just to clarify its a 7 day cruise with 2 sea days. I assume you may be huddled inside on pacific coastal so less crowded would be good.

Edited by latebuyer

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks everyone. This is good to know. Thanks to Coral for such a detailed review. Just to clarify its a 7 day cruise with 2 sea days. I assume you may be huddled inside on pacific coastal so less crowded would be good.

@Coral is spot on when discussing the covered pool onn14. 
We are on Sapphire now and most have abandoned the main pool (too cool and windy) in favor of the covered pool. 
It’s one of our favorite places. 
Note the fact that there are two levels here. But avoid the ping pong table!!!

IMG_4961.thumb.jpeg.b7d7f4dbed89e743ea07cab56951ce08.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Does anyone know the hours of the laundry rooms on the sapphire and where it is? I have a feeling the room i'm looking at is close to it.

Consult the deck plan to see where they are.  Typically open about 0730; sorry, not sure of closing time, but not late in the evening.  The 'traffic' ought not bother you.

https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=SA

Edited by d9704011

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Does anyone know the hours of the laundry rooms on the sapphire and where it is? I have a feeling the room i'm looking at is close to it.

What deck? 
If I get your response in time, I’ll post a photo. 

On 12/17/2023 at 8:14 PM, seafun said:

Has anyone been on Sapphire around Antarctica?  I am worried that even with StarLink, the wifi signal may be weak or nonexistant for the days at "the bottom of the world," far from satellites.

We are thinking about doing the Antarctica sailing on Sapphire next year. Was wondering the same thing about internet. 

19 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Just got off the Sapphire today, had a room directly across from the laundry (A612). Never heard a peep. 

• Like 1

I agree with what the others have said. The Sapphire is a wonderful ship for any itinerary but especially for Alaska. 

We just did B2B Alaska cruises in late July-August and I blogged about it starting here:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2023/07/an-anniversary-cruise-to-alaska.html

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thecruisingfarmer said:

We are thinking about doing the Antarctica sailing on Sapphire next year. Was wondering the same thing about internet. 

On 12/17/2023 at 8:14 PM, seafun said:

Has anyone been on Sapphire around Antarctica?  I am worried that even with StarLink, the wifi signal may be weak or nonexistant for the days at "the bottom of the world," far from satellites.

From my Dec 2022 Sapphire Antarctica experience, yes internet is weak to non-existent when cruising Antarctica.  If strong internet access at all times is a high priority for you, then Antarctica is probably not the best destination.

FWIW, my DH and I are booked on the Dec 2024 Sapphire Antarctica cruise. It was such a beautiful and unique experience that we thought we'd do it again. Hopefully, this time weather will cooperate and we'll make Punta Arenas, Port Stanley, and the originally planned Antarctica route.

Edited by Aggie83
Spelling