MSC Meraviglia DEC 16, 2023 Port Changes

buffet24

I'm amazed these guys are still stuck here in Boston...

When we went on Mera back in November... we drove down to NYC from Boston (our home is located within this picture, just 2 miles from the ship)...  And if the ship brought us back here to Boston for 2 days...  not sure what we would have done....I suppose, we would have gone home to drop off some dirty laundry, water the plants, take a hot shower in our roomy bathroom and grab some water bottles before heading back to the ship for dinner and the shows... 🤔

image.png.221e3d3768174c5997b179b9a437fc17.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

So.... MSC changed their itinerary due to the storm over Florida and Bahamas...  I don't dispute there was a storm... (actually the same storm blew through here yesterday when Mera was docked here in Boston... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️)

But ummmmm...... when you look at this map taken just a moment ago... which ship do you think is the only one affected and sailing to nowhere really fast???  Are ALL the other ships that dumb to sail through that same storm???

This is the second instance in about a month time where it seems like the Captain of Mera is chasing after the storm rather than just sailing where everyone else is headed... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.459d61937072a30d9ff49b2995c3c8ef.png

• Thanks 2

They just did a story on GMA about this cruise.

Did this captain not check the weather?

I agree--wouldn't south or west have been BETTER weather  (couldn't be worse!)& STILL WARM??

• Like 2

10 hours ago, buffet24 said:

This is the second instance in about a month time where it seems like the Captain of Mera is chasing after the storm rather than just sailing where everyone else is headed... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

It's the same Captain that changed my November 13th cruise from Bermuda to Cape Canaveral/Nassau. I hope he is gone by end of April for my next cruise will hopefully make Bermuda.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

I agree--wouldn't south or west have been BETTER weather  (couldn't be worse!)& STILL WARM??

This was Monday here in Boston when MSC Meraviglia was docked here for the entire day... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

why did they leave new york at all? as I understand it passengers did not have to get on a ship going nowhere in winter. I just don't get this whole story. a cruise from NYC to Bahamas at best during this time is not great weather. Sounds like the bad decisions being made all around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KKB said:

I saw that story this morning and have to admit that I would have been ALL sorts of annoyed as a cruise passenger.  Talk about a seriously ruined vacation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KKB said:

West . . . to Harrison, New Jersey?  😁

41 minutes ago, Fissues said:

NCL Getaway left NYC at the same time as Mera, bound for Bermuda. The got their ass kicked the whole way just to turn around. Couldn’t make port. 
I would have rather been on Mera. 

Here is their route:

image.png.d094002c26e73032fb1e0224c0171e5c.png

So it seems the choice was between lots of sea days at about 15C/59F or a couple of ports at about 6C/42F.   Tough choice, but at least the passengers had a choice to go or not.  I wonder if any OBC included for those that took the cruise?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, buffet24 said:

So.... MSC changed their itinerary due to the storm over Florida and Bahamas...  I don't dispute there was a storm... (actually the same storm blew through here yesterday when Mera was docked here in Boston... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️)

But ummmmm...... when you look at this map taken just a moment ago... which ship do you think is the only one affected and sailing to nowhere really fast???  Are ALL the other ships that dumb to sail through that same storm???

image.thumb.png.459d61937072a30d9ff49b2995c3c8ef.png

They couldn’t get down to Florida or the Bahamas because the storm was in the way. Going north before the storm arrived was the only option other than sitting in NYC for a couple days and waiting for the storm to pass. That may not have given enough time to sail to any port though. Not sure what people really expected them to do here.

since the 1960's there were plenty of winter sailings out of NYC - Home Lines, the Italian Line, the Greek Line, Cunard all offered all type of carib & Bahama sailings of various lengths.

We usually sailed Home Line & the Italian Line on 9+ day sailings - the first & last sea days were chilly but after that it was warmer than in Florida.

The passengers on this sailing went at rock bottom prices(between Thanksgiving & pre Christmas) and the cruise line has the right to change the itinerary as needed.

One of the best reasons to sail out of NY is that  - for us there is no need to fly!!!

PS - 

I sailed Mera a couple of years ago & recently sailed HAL Rotterdam - I'd pick MSC over HAL any day!!!!