Live from the Viking Sky (Ft Lauderdale to London) December 20, 2023 - May 6, 2024

Penspack

I imagine Viking's insurers will have a major say in whether the WCs transit through the Red Sea. Insurance companies being a conservative lot, I'd put the odds of such a transit as slim to none.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

I imagine Viking's insurers will have a major say in whether the WCs transit through the Red Sea. Insurance companies being a conservative lot, I'd put the odds of such a transit as slim to none.

So true, last I read, premiums have increased tenfold. With today's missile strike, I suspect they may be increasing again.

• Like 2

The way things are going, I doubt you will be able to transit the Red Sea. That's unfortunate given what everyone had hoped to see and experience. It is perhaps an opportunity to see other ports, given that it looks like you would have at least some days to go ashore given the mileage and time it takes to get there. Waaaay down the list of things that would change, I'd be sorry to not see your shore excursion experiences in order to plan for our own WC trip next year. 

I think of you on this trip when making my bed, cleaning the house, going grocery shopping and all sorts of normal daily activities, thinking wow, next year at this time, I won't have to do these things. Instead, it would come to: do I walk the stairs, go to the gym, spa, go on a fun shore excursion or just sit in the Winter Garden and read my book while someone brings me bourbon. Instead of dealing with LA traffic and Costco, would I want World Cafe, Restaurant, Chef's Table or Manfredi's for dinner? And oh, those magical elves that come to my room and tidy everything up, sigh, I want them at home. Enjoy your time!  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Per the article, HAL is still planning (hoping) to maintain a their original World Cruise plan…time will tell if we will or not.  I’ve heard a number of passingers say if that we don’t go through the canal that they hope Viking offers the opportunity to go home from Mumbai. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Per the article, HAL is still planning (hoping) to maintain a their original World Cruise plan…time will tell if we will or not.  I’ve heard a number of passingers say if that we don’t go through the canal that they hope Viking offers the opportunity to go home from Mumbai. 

Yikes!  

Clay,

We were segment travelers on the 2019 World Cruise.  We sailed Sydney, Australia to Durban, South Africa.  If your cruise itinerary should have to change, the ports of Mauritius, Madagascar, Mozambique and our finish in Durban were fantastic!  FortDauphin, Madagascar was eye opening, the visit to the Botanical Garden there really opened my eyes to colonialism.  Just the kind of ports a World Traveler should see!

Enjoy the voyage😎😎😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, jebbs said:

Clay,

We were segment travelers on the 2019 World Cruise.  We sailed Sydney, Australia to Durban, South Africa.  If your cruise itinerary should have to change, the ports of Mauritius, Madagascar, Mozambique and our finish in Durban were fantastic!  FortDauphin, Madagascar was eye opening, the visit to the Botanical Garden there really opened my eyes to colonialism.  Just the kind of ports a World Traveler should see!

Enjoy the voyage😎😎😎

We were on this cruise, too, I I would have to agree. 

• Like 2

If many people dropped off the WC in Mumbai and the segment from there to Cape Town was offered, that might entice many people.  There aren’t many opportunities to cruise that part of the world.

• Like 2

Cape Town  was wonderful and I’m so glad we got to do it. But again it is a lesson in Colonialism. I remember saying to a guide that I thought it looked liked a wonderful place to live. But he responded that it was a better place to visit than live. They had severe water rationing at the time. But sailing in under Table mountain was even better than sailing into Rio. . 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

This is the letter sent o passengers from one of the HAL world voyage threads

HAL_LETTER.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

If many people dropped off the WC in Mumbai and the segment from there to Cape Town was offered, that might entice many people.  There aren’t many opportunities to cruise that part of the world.

Not many people can take such a far away trip last minute. If I were to take the trouble (shots, flight, and other logistics) of visiting South Africa, I would want the opportunity to do safari and Victoria Falls as well, but I doubt these land tours would be possible last minute.

• Like 2

Just now, dreamercruise said:

Not many people can take such a far away trip last minute. If I were to take the trouble (shots, flight, and other logistics) of visiting South Africa, I would want the opportunity to do safari and Victoria Falls as well, but I doubt these land tours would be possible last minute.

Or within what some more knowledgeable than me have set will be the allowable time in ports to maintain our disembarkation date. 

23 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Cape Town  was wonderful and I’m so glad we got to do it. But again it is a lesson in Colonialism. I remember saying to a guide that I thought it looked liked a wonderful place to live. But he responded that it was a better place to visit than live. They had severe water rationing at the time. But sailing in under Table mountain was even better than sailing into Rio. . 

Your observation is right on the money. We spent several days in CT on our own about 15 years ago, as part of a three-week trip around South Africa. It’s a great city in a spectacular location. But it’s an island of sorts, surrounded by some very poor and ramshackle settlements (especially toward the CT airport). And the veneer of colonialism is never far away.

Did you visit Robben Island or take the tram to the top of Table Mountain? IMO, those are the top sights in CT along with the drive to the Cape itself.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Your observation is right on the money. We spent several days in CT on our own about 15 years ago, as part of a three-week trip around South Africa. It’s a great city in a spectacular location. But it’s an island of sorts, surrounded by some very poor and ramshackle settlements (especially toward the CT airport). And the veneer of colonialism is never far away.

Did you visit Robben Island or take the tram to the top of Table Mountain? IMO, those are the top sights in CT along with the drive to the Cape itself.

No, we only had two days.  We went to the cape of Good hope and to Kirstenbosch gardens, which we loved.  We walked through the company gardens, and have a fun picture driving through Bo Cape.  I would go back in a heartbeat.  If I had this option on the two WCs going now, I would take it and not fly home from Mumbai.  

Cape Town South Africa.jpeg

IMG_2792.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpeg

IMG_2860.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/15/2024 at 5:43 PM, UWDawg said:

You can also check out my blog for the Viking Sky World Cruise at:

https://maryann-ernieworldtravels.blogspot.com 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, cruising denise said:

Clay, we couldn't see it in the dark but we certainly felt the bump as we went over it...did you????  😃

The bump you felt was not the equator, it is an imaginary line. We just clipped the edge of the giant sign that says "The Equator"...😁

• Haha 13