Bronze Medallions ?

DaveOKC

I just read a review from a person just off the Eurodam and they mentioned that their Bronze Medallions were just sent to their cabin.   In the past these (and higher level ones) were presented at a special event on the last sea day.  Is this the new program?  If so, its just one more minor cutback by HAL.

Funny thing is that one month ago on the Eurodam we were presented our Silver ones at a special event.  At the time I do not remember anyone receiving Bronze ones, but a few other Silver and Gold ones.

Come on HAL - enough of these cutbacks already!

• Like 1

After covid, the medallion ceremony was changed - partly to control numbers when there were concerns about the pandemic and, I suspect because there are so many 5* Mariners and medallion holders now.

The ceremonies I have been to were for the silver, gold, platinum recipients and highest Mariners.  The bronzes were delivered to the cabin.

At the beginning, the medallions being awarded were delivered to the cabin and the recipients brought them.   Pictures were still taken.   The last one I was at, they were awarded as before by the captain and HD but it was still restricted to silver, gold, platinum.  YMMV.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

The bronzes were delivered to the cabin.

That was our experience on the Rotterdam in October 2021.......100 day medals on the bed and no ceremony.....And that was fine with us.  Still not sure what to do with the medals and for us, we don't feel slighted or consider it a cut-back.

• Like 3

In 2022 I found my 100 day Medallion on the bed, this was on the N. Statendam.       When we were on Grand South America they had two 100 day Medal ceremonies with lavish amounts of wine.   So I got my second 100 day medal on the Volendam.   I figured at least 3/4 of the ship should be 100 days or higher.  They had two events with 300+ people each.   

I wear my 100 day one as a joke.  It’s just something to fill up my drawer.

There was no ceremony for mine….which was fine with me.  Just another useless exercise, IMO.

Im on a ship to relax….not to show my perceived status.

Now, the unlimited laundry, on the other hand :).

Edited by Gunther1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

WOW!  I regard this as a huge cutback, COVID or no COVID!  I vividly remember getting mine, and I was very, very excited.  I was the youngest person getting one, and I think the youngest person in the room!  There were two elderly gentlemen who were at my dinner table who made it a point of going to my ceremony, and I still look at it and remember that night.  I may not get a second 100 night medal with the high single supplement policy now, and my doing much more land travel, and HAL changing so much of what I loved about cruising, but it would be a shame if they got rid of this ceremony.  It is much more meaningful than the Mariner brunch, IMHO!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

I wear my 100 day one as a joke.  It’s just something to fill up my drawer.

There was no ceremony for mine….which was fine with me.  Just another useless exercise, IMO.

DW used to have a drawer, in an unheated back room of our basement, where she tossed all the cruise ship memorabilia including our HAL pins, medallions, etc.  After 50 years of extensive cruising, with many different lines, we had a pretty decent collection.  One day she decided to do a major clean up, and all that stuff went in the trash.  Funny thing is that it did not change our lives other than giving us an empty drawer for more junk :).  I will admit that I wish she had kept my old "diamond" pin from Orient Lines.  That was a real collector's item.  

But for some HAL cruisers, these things are very important.  A few years ago when HAL talked about eliminating the Medallions, there was a small uproar here on CC (and I assume elsewhere).  

There are some cruise lines that give out free cruises (instead of Medallions) and that is more my style :).

Hank

• Like 2

My husband received my copper on my behalf when he answered the knock on the door and our steward handed him the box and said it was for me. That was April on a 17 day Panama Canal on Volendam. We were not invited to any Mariner lunch either, but there was at least one towards the beginning of the trip.

Adding- DH is now interested in when I will get my 4th star: he has taken a liking to the laundry.😜

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

Now, the unlimited laundry, on the other hand :).

Agree...and yes, love the free laundry........but for us, we are tile hoarders....We can't help it and probably need counseling but we HAVE TO HAVE OUR HAL TILES to continue on.  Our storage room overflows with HAL tiles......back in the day we were guilty of taking tiles left on the tables after the Mariner's lunch.....It's an addiction.  We obviously need help.

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I received my silver medallion onboard the Rotterdam on 12/14/23.  The event was limited to a handful of people, including introductions of President's Club members and people with high sea miles.  There were light refreshments, no luncheon afterward as in the past.  Event started at 11:00 am and concluded at 11:20 am.

Frankly, I was happy for no luncheon.  There are plenty of options for food around the ship.

• Like 4

A lot of folks see the new process of handing out medallions as a cutback to save money.  Really?  All HAL is saving is maybe a few bottles of cheap Prosecco and a few photos.  I see it as a "cutback" in class on their part in showing genuine and sincere appreciation for their returning passengers.  😟  They talk the talk but have a difficulty walking the walk since the restart of operations after COVID.

• Like 3

I was just on the Westerdam and they had a special ceremony for all Medallion recipients. I asked the Hotel Manager what the policy was for these ceremonies and he said it depended on the itinerary and the potential numbers of recipients for the ceremony. If there are few sea days and lots of recipients, they they would likely restrict who would get the medals at the ceremony. He said that on 7 day Alaska cruises they may not have any ceremony at all.  So it seems that it all depends upon logistics.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

A lot of folks see the new process of handing out medallions as a cutback to save money.  Really?  All HAL is saving is maybe a few bottles of cheap Prosecco and a few photos.  I see it as a "cutback" in class on their part in showing genuine and sincere appreciation for their returning passengers.  😟  They talk the talk but have a difficulty walking the walk since the restart of operations after COVID.

Maybe the first step in eliminating the Medallion program?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Just the opposite. They pumped them up from last year, after getting a lot of complaints about their very austere feeling on the early post-"covid" cruises.

Last medallion ceremony a few months ago was very nice- small, but much more meaningful for all who attended.  A year prior was pretty slimmed down. But filling the main stage theater and passing trays of various drinks and snacks for all --- probably not in the budget just yet.

59 minutes ago, Skipper's Mom said:

I received my silver medallion onboard the Rotterdam on 12/14/23.  The event was limited to a handful of people, including introductions of President's Club members and people with high sea miles.  There were light refreshments, no luncheon afterward as in the past.  Event started at 11:00 am and concluded at 11:20 am.

Frankly, I was happy for no luncheon.  There are plenty of options for food around the ship.

We were on Rotterdam just a few weeks before you.  I am surprised at no lunch and your report.

Our medallion ceremony was very full - all high mariners, mind you but it was quite full.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I believe it was in BB Kings (going by memory).

The ceremony ended around 11:20 for us too but the drinks and stuff still flowed and a bit after 11:30 we were led to the Mariners lunch so we were all seated before the rest came.

the luncheon was a vast improvement over past Mariner’s luncheons - absolutely delicious.  Everyone at the table was delightfully surprised.  I reported it on my LIVE thread at the time.  From the other live threads I have seen, the menu seems to have held which is a real plus as far as I am concerned.

It’s now worth going to.  Tiles were still on the bed that night - not passed out in the MDR.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I hope not. A lot of people appreciate it and like getting the medallion and an opportunity to have a photo taken with the officers.  They have to find a way to make it meaningful for everyone, including the recipients of the first bronze medallion.  Delivering medallions to the room shows a lack of imagination, a lack of effort and a lack of class. 

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Thanks 1

We had a really nice Bronze reception on our May 2023 TA on the Zuiderdam.  It was only for bronze because there were nearly 100 recipients.  Photos with the Captain and food and drink passed around liberally.

We received the medallions in our cabin the day or two before.

1 hour ago, sambamama said:

Mine just had wine and no lunch.  Lots of people with high numbers, one person had 700 days at sea!  700! 

365+365 = 730 days = 2 years at sea

When I think in terms of years at sea, instead of days it boggles my mind too.

(nearly 700 and counting ourselves.)  Two years out of my four score years spent on HAL ships. 🥰

• Like 1

Apparently, ceremonies for the medallions vary from ship to ship or the decision of the captain. I attended a medal ceremony on the Volendam several weeks ago when returning from Hawaii.  It was held in the Crow's Lounge with many mariners in attendance. I have attended similar ceremonies on the past 5 cruises since the Covid pandemic. Hope to attend other in the upcoming 2 cruises in the spring.

If I've already heard about medallions, I wasn't paying attention. This thread prompted me to take a look at my cruise history, and I've just discovered that with our last cruise we have completed exactly 100 cruise days. Does that mean that we'll get bronze (entry-level) medallions at some point in our upcoming cruise in February? Will I also be schooled in the secret handshake?

• Haha 1