Is the cost for a PH still worth it ? What has changed?

cavaaller

3 hours ago, cavaaller said:

it was worth it  last time - but as I said, I do not really know how the experience has changed hence my question...

Thinking the same. We have a PH booked this year too. Last PH was post COVID…

To me the PH experience has always been about staff really going above and beyond. “No problem” being the catch phrase I always came off the ship remembering. Whilst we know clearly what is included/not included many of the little touches that make it special are not included ones. Like  having an afternoon tea selection brought to my suite daily. I know there is a selection in Michael’s/Retreat but I don’t want to go down for it I want it in my room! I am sure I am not the only higher suite guest who has found butlers more valuable as their personal mobility has them looking more like Julie Walter in Two soups every cruise!

What would spoil it for me is if there does seem to be any penny pinching or a strict adherence to what is/is not included. For example, we have usually once or twice a cruise had a customised lunch or dinner in the suite (from the speciality restaurants or off no menu). We have always arranged this with at least 24 hours notice and it has never been an issue. Not listed as a suite perk so if Celebrity say it isn’t included then there is no argument, they are correct. However, if you are offering an expensive personalised service this is the sort of perk one expects/needs. 

I will be watching higher suite cruise experiences carefully over the next few months…

• Like 3

3 hours ago, George C said:

I will be curious how food In Yacht Club has changed

We did sail post Covid  on Fantasia. Service was stellar but food was plain awful! And I am not a picky eater. It was not a question of preparation but one of quality: Tough, old meat, no fresh vegetables at all. The nibbles in the top sail lounge repetitive and really basic. A huge difference to Celebrity (and Azamara). Of course: it was just one week and could have been coincidence.

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

To me the PH experience has always been about staff really going above and beyond. “No problem” being the catch phrase I always came off the ship remembering.

exactly! 

it is the little things like expedited delivery service (? or was it special delivery?)

or the concierge's response "don't worry about it, it is done!" to the question "could you try to get us in at Eden tomorrow? 

or "of course you can have dinner in the suite tonight"

I do not NEED to send out laundry 3 times a week but for the price I am paying,  I'd like to think that I could if I wanted/needed...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cavaaller said:

exactly! 

it is the little things like expedited delivery service (? or was it special delivery?)

or the concierge's response "don't worry about it, it is done!" to the question "could you try to get us in at Eden tomorrow? 

or "of course you can have dinner in the suite tonight"

I do not NEED to send out laundry 3 times a week but for the price I am paying,  I'd like to think that I could if I wanted/needed...

I remember the maitre d of Luminae going to specialty restaurant we were eating at to make sure everything was ok .My wife had a 60th birthday we invited a few from roll call has butler for a few snacks she covered entire dining room table with hot and cold appetizers, then the entire concierge staff game in to give my wife flowers and wine . 

Edited by George C
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Just off Equinox in a PH suite. As to the question of whether it is still worth it or not there is no one answer for everyone. It really depends on your expectations and your personal financial situation, but to me it is still worth it. The service from the butler, room steward and Luminae staff could not have been better. I have stayed in the PH and RS many times over the past ten years and really didn’t feel as though anything was taken away. I have never ordered specialty dining room service so if it’s not available, I don’t miss it. There was no limit on laundry despite what you read. Any request I had, like afternoon snacks for example, were met with “of course, would you like me to mix it up.” 
My only complaint has to do with the lack of comfort of the new furniture both inside and outside. But that has been beaten to death in other posts so I’ll leave it at that. 
Overall though, for the size of the suite, the superb service you receive, and the other included perks, it is still worth it, but they are getting close to my limit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Midlo said:

Just off Equinox in a PH suite. As to the question of whether it is still worth it or not there is no one answer for everyone. It really depends on your expectations and your personal financial situation, but to me it is still worth it. The service from the butler, room steward and Luminae staff could not have been better. I have stayed in the PH and RS many times over the past ten years and really didn’t feel as though anything was taken away. I have never ordered specialty dining room service so if it’s not available, I don’t miss it. There was no limit on laundry despite what you read. Any request I had, like afternoon snacks for example, were met with “of course, would you like me to mix it up.” 
My only complaint has to do with the lack of comfort of the new furniture both inside and outside. But that has been beaten to death in other posts so I’ll leave it at that. 
Overall though, for the size of the suite, the superb service you receive, and the other included perks, it is still worth it, but they are getting close to my limit.

Thank you for your feedback.

Can I ask about in suite dining…”I have never ordered speciality dining room service so if it’s not available, I don’t miss it”. Do you know if it definitely was or was not available on request? I simply ask as we will be on an M class ship in the Mediterranean where the PH deck may be a preferred dining option a few nights, especially with the limited dining choices on M class.

Couldn’t agree more about the outside furniture…We have cruised RS on Equinox and PH on Silhouette since they were revolutionised…a multitude or cushions in the room that were a nuisance and a pathetic lack of comfortably padded chairs outside!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

Can I ask about in suite dining…”I have never ordered speciality dining room service so if it’s not available, I don’t miss it”. Do you know if it definitely was or was not available on request? I simply ask as we will be on an M class ship in the Mediterranean where the PH deck may be a preferred dining option a few nights, especially with the limited dining choices on M class.

We had a PH on the Ascent last month and most  speciality dining room service was not allowed. They did allow us to order from the MDR, Luminae, and The Bistro. We were told the issue was the proper presentation of the food is important to the experience and they could not provide that as room service dining. I think the proximity of the restaurants is part of the problem because when we did order from the 3 restaurants listed above, the food was delivered by 3 different butlers all at the same time!  I'll be on the Solstice in March and will see how it goes. All the ships seem to have different rules.

IMG_8340.pdf

3 minutes ago, billc23 said:

We had a PH on the Ascent last month and most  speciality dining room service was not allowed. They did allow us to order from the MDR, Luminae, and The Bistro. We were told the issue was the proper presentation of the food is important to the experience and they could not provide that as room service dining. I think the proximity of the restaurants is part of the problem because when we did order from the 3 restaurants listed above, the food was delivered by 3 different butlers all at the same time!  I'll be on the Solstice in March and will see how it goes. All the ships seem to have different rules.

IMG_8340.pdf 17.8 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks for your reply.

The differences between ship policies do make it hard to judge what will/will not be allowed. I think a lot depends on your butler too. Some simply are more willing to go above and beyond to make your experience special.

I am sure if it does come down to the MDR menu we will still enjoy but it would be nice to be able to order a bit wider if we can…

We certainly wouldn’t be ordering food in suite regularly but are hoping for a bit of flexibility of choice a few nights, especially if we ask in advance…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

Thanks for your reply.

The differences between ship policies do make it hard to judge what will/will not be allowed. I think a lot depends on your butler too. Some simply are more willing to go above and beyond to make your experience special.

I am sure if it does come down to the MDR menu we will still enjoy but it would be nice to be able to order a bit wider if we can…

We certainly wouldn’t be ordering food in suite regularly but are hoping for a bit of flexibility of choice a few nights, especially if we ask in advance…

I was in a Celebrity Suite in December and my butler made an exception for us.  He very very politely did say they don’t usually do this, but he spoke with his manager and “we will be most happy to provide this for you”.  I really didn’t want him to go out of his way and I told him it was OK, but he insisted that he wanted to do it for us.  He truly was so accommodating for the entire cruise.  Moral is, just ask, you never know.  Enjoy your cruise and that lovely suite!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liao said:

I was in a Celebrity Suite in December and my butler made an exception for us.  He very very politely did say they don’t usually do this, but he spoke with his manager and “we will be most happy to provide this for you”.  I really didn’t want him to go out of his way and I told him it was OK, but he insisted that he wanted to do it for us.  He truly was so accommodating for the entire cruise.  Moral is, just ask, you never know.  Enjoy your cruise and that lovely suite!

Thanks, we love the M class PH but regret the loss of the wonderful liners restaurants. I can see with a Mediterranean itinerary us making the most of the PH deck for dining options…

We will, as we always do, politely ask and with 24 hours notice…

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chemmo said:

Thank you for your feedback.

Couldn’t agree more about the outside furniture…We have cruised RS on Equinox and PH on Silhouette since they were revolutionised…a multitude or cushions in the room that were a nuisance and a pathetic lack of comfortably padded chairs outside!

I really don’t know for sure about in suite dining from specialty restaurants but I think they would have if I asked. Our butler specifically told me he had access to all the food on the ship and had relationships with managers in every restaurant. I really don’t think he would have said no to anything if he could possibly make it happen. 
Enjoy your cruise. The balcony on that ship with that itinerary should be great!

• Like 1

Value is really relative to each person's values and pocketbook.     What may be of value may be of no value to another.      I personally like upper suites but can be very comfortable in a RS but also have often been upgraded to a PH and was very pleased with the product and space.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Midlo said:

I really don’t know for sure about in suite dining from specialty restaurants but I think they would have if I asked. Our butler specifically told me he had access to all the food on the ship and had relationships with managers in every restaurant. I really don’t think he would have said no to anything if he could possibly make it happen. 
Enjoy your cruise. The balcony on that ship with that itinerary should be great!

Thanks, we have cruised RS and PH many times on S and M class and whilst we have never regularly requested in suite dining we have occasionally and, as you say, Butler’s usually can and will try their best for you. There has been so much chat, however, about changes one worries if the ‘norm’ I know is the ‘norm’ now…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Value is really relative to each person's values and pocketbook.     What may be of value may be of no value to another.      I personally like upper suites but can be very comfortable in a RS but also have often been upgraded to a PH and was very pleased with the product and space.

On both M and S class the RS offering and its perks pretty well offer all the facilities, space and perks one could want, the PH suites offer an additional decadence! On S class the decadence is of light in the living area on M class the decadence is the amazing balcony!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Thanks, we have cruised RS and PH many times on S and M class and whilst we have never regularly requested in suite dining we have occasionally and, as you say, Butler’s usually can and will try their best for you. There has been so much chat, however, about changes one worries if the ‘norm’ I know is the ‘norm’ now…

I can tell you that for sure the attentiveness I've received by Butlers in CS, RS and PH has been exceptional.   Our most recent cruise with the same butler in CS on the first cruise and RS on the second was the best we have ever had.  

I've seen zero deterioration in service in M and S class.    I do have to say I have personally noticed a drop in Service in E-Class -  not as much on the butler service as oppose to the food prep in Luminae (regardless of class of service)

• Like 3

There is nothing like the PS on an M class ship IMHO. It spoils you for any other suite on the Celebrity line. I have not, yet, experienced the Iconic Suite but my 5 sailings in the PS on M class ships were all wonderful.

• Like 3

PH on M class is special with the room size, perks and veranda. It’s even better when going through the Panama Canal as you have a magnificent view from the stern and not have to compete for a view.

was in an Iconic on Beyond end of Jan and in suite dining did include all specialty restaurants including fine cut. I really think your butler can be the difference if you get specialty restaurants or not. The higher end butler’s have the ability to work some magic when required .

• Like 1

My family were pricing cabins on the Apex TA in March 2025 for my 70th birthday. Considered the PH and IC because they each have two bedrooms. For the 4 of us (all adults) the PH is just over $45,000 and the IC is just under $80,000. In my mind that is absurd !!! I could buy a brand new car even w/o any trade in for that kind of money !!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

My family were pricing cabins on the Apex TA in March 2025 for my 70th birthday. Considered the PH and IC because they each have two bedrooms. For the 4 of us (all adults) the PH is just over $45,000 and the IC is just under $80,000. In my mind that is absurd !!! I could buy a brand new car even w/o any trade in for that kind of money !!!

Cost is relative.

ICs are one of two reasons I book Celebrity. The other is EVs.

ICs for long sailings. EVs for the short 7 night sailings.

No other line has such great rooms, unless you go charter and have the run of the place.

9 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

There is nothing like the PS on an M class ship IMHO. It spoils you for any other suite on the Celebrity line. I have not, yet, experienced the Iconic Suite but my 5 sailings in the PS on M class ships were all wonderful.

We have enjoyed three M PH cruises, all in the Caribbean and all some years ago. When they got rid of the ‘liners’ restaurants we tended to opt for S class for the better dining options…

We have decided to return to M class as I really would like to experience that PH deck again. We have a stop in Santorini, to my mind one of the most amazing places on earth to cruise in/out of…We do not leave until 10pm so the plan will be to enjoy the day on land but then to enjoy a long, leisurely dinner on the deck…We have watched the sun set before here both on land and at sea and the only other sea sunset I have seen to really equate in beauty is Ha Long Bay, Vietnam…Don’t get me wrong we have seen lots of beautiful sunsets (and sunrises) over the years but these two are emotional in their beauty…

On the down side reviews of Infinity are a bit mixed, the recent refurbishment seems to have been fairly minimal. Each time we have cruised M class we have spent our down time on the private deck and always found the butler central to our enjoyment. Reassuring that most service reports are positive…I will probably ask a question nearer the time about recent Infinity PH/RS experiences…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buncosquad said:

Cost is relative.

ICs are one of two reasons I book Celebrity. The other is EVs.

ICs for long sailings. EVs for the short 7 night sailings.

No other line has such great rooms, unless you go charter and have the run of the place.

Room value is relative too depending on your needs/wants. Any two level room is out for me owing to mobility issues…

Personally, I  do find the E class suite rooms overpriced. Even the RS is a ridiculous cost for a room with a tiny balcony! We have looked closely at E class this year as one is now based in Southampton…All about personal choices…

6 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

I must confess I tend to agree! Whilst our M class PH isn’t cheap it certainly isn’t in that league…I priced up the PH on E from Southampton for a Canary Island cruise and simply decided that I could fly to one of the Islands and book an AI resort in a top room for less than a quarter of the price and have a longer holiday! Much as I know these holidays are totally different, the aim is simply an ‘Autumn sunshine break’…As you say, there are lots of other options to spend your hard earned cash on…

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 3:07 PM, billc23 said:

Absolutely agree, I would not pay double the RS price!

The PH on the M class does have 2 bathrooms but only one bedroom. Typically the price is 30% more than the RS for a space that is 3.5 times larger. The 1000 + square foot balcony is one half of the back of the ship with 270 degree views and is the reason many covet the M class PH. Yes, the listed perks are the same as the RS but the overall experience is better. An example is I have had, and am usually encouraged to have, a party for 20 plus people and it is included as part of the room. I usually book early as the rooms go quickly and often the RS price is more than I paid for the PH when one purchases closer to the sail date.

E class RS to PH is close to double the price and that PH does have 2 bedrooms.

Agreed...at 30% more it's a no brainer--at least it was on the Millie for us last year in Alaska. But we were traveling with our two teenagers, so the added space and bathroom were very helpful. I also still think that 1000sqft terrace is the nicest one I've ever had--even in Alaska, we ate many meals out there.  And we made good use of the butler's pantry too.

• Like 3