First Time Spa

jnicktem

We will be on the Liberty next month and I would like to surprise my wife with some kind of spa treatment. I literally know nothing about any of the treatments or massages… and my wife has not really ever done any of these before either; which is why I would like to treat her to something.

For someone who does not really treat themselves, what would you recommend? I’m thinking something like a massage and facial, but again I’m clueless as to which ones to pick.

When you get onboard they will usually have a port day special with a sampler of treatments. Like a short massage and facial. I would recommend looking for something like that.

aside from that, I would recommend a pedicure. With massages and facials; some people love them and hate them. Massage styles and masseuses vary so much by personal preference.  I personally love massages but when you try a new therapist it’s 50/50 on whether they are any good. I’ve never heard of someone disliking a pedicure. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 4

I tend to agree with above post regarding massages, I cannot stand to get massages but DH loves them and gets them regularly. 

That being said, DH has had 2 massages on ships over the years (both prior to covid) and he does not care to do it again.  For him, the experience was ruined by the pressure to sell additional products (mostly towards end of session).  He thought maybe just the first experience and decided to give it another chance a couple years later, but different ship same experience. 

Not sure what the experience is now but might be something you can mention and prepare your wife ahead of time if she has a hard time saying no.  

Edited by Drazil65

I usually get the Biotech facial and body ritual. It's a 50 minute massage and 50 minute facial combined. Love it and it's less expensive than buying them separately. I've seen it as low as $239 and as high as $299 depending if you book it for day one, port day, or sea day. 

I love the hot stone massage, but I tell them upfront that I do NOT wish to purchase any of the Elemis products.  They will try to high pressure you into buying, but it can be avoided by letting them know. 

If you go to the spa tour on embarkation day, there will be specials offered for many of their treatments.  They also will do samples for those in attendance. I've found that this is the best time to buy.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 8:50 AM, jnicktem said:

We will be on the Liberty next month and I would like to surprise my wife with some kind of spa treatment. I literally know nothing about any of the treatments or massages… and my wife has not really ever done any of these before either; which is why I would like to treat her to something.

For someone who does not really treat themselves, what would you recommend? I’m thinking something like a massage and facial, but again I’m clueless as to which ones to pick.

IMO you shouldn't surprise her with any specific treatments.  What people enjoy in that regard can vary widely, and you may end up making an expensive mistake.

For example, I don't like facials.  Strange people touching my face does not relax me, and I don't think they actually do anything.  Even when I have had them in the past, I didn't see any significant difference in how my skin  looked after the first day or so.

If I were you, I would either get her a general gift certificate for the spa, or just send her up there and tell her to treat herself to whatever she wants.

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

For me that would be the worst possible way to spend money. I can shampoo and blow out my own hair. 

You can paint your own toenails, change your own oil, air fry your own mini corn dogs, etc., as well, but sometimes it's nice to have somebody else do it.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You can paint your own toenails, change your own oil, air fry your own mini corn dogs, etc., as well, but sometimes it's nice to have somebody else do it.

I work out daily and shower twice a day when it’s hot out. If I’m going to spend cruise ship prices it won’t be for something that lasts 12 hours.

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

For me that would be the worst possible way to spend money. I can shampoo and blow out my own hair. 

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I work out daily and shower twice a day when it’s hot out. If I’m going to spend cruise ship prices it won’t be for something that lasts 12 hours.

I have long hair that needs good product, a professional blow dryer and flat iron to keep my locks lush.  All that takes up alot of suitcase space.  A good salon blowout lasts me a week, I look fabulous and my cabin neighbors aren't treated to an hour listening to the blow dryer.   

15 hours ago, mz-s said:

Yes, a little luxury when on vacation. I used to envy my former boss’s wife when she mention on the phone that she was heading out (to the salon) to get her hair washed. I only got it washed professionally when I went for a trim and color touch up. Now, it’s pandemic long and natural color and I never go to a salon! 

18 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I have long hair that needs good product, a professional blow dryer and flat iron to keep my locks lush.  All that takes up alot of suitcase space.  A good salon blowout lasts me a week, I look fabulous and my cabin neighbors aren't treated to an hour listening to the blow dryer.   

never understood blow outs. If I got more than 24 hours without washing my hair I feel disgusting. One shampoo and blow dry lasting a week makes me feel sick. No one would want to be around me past day 2. 🤢

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

never understood blow outs. If I got more than 24 hours without washing my hair I feel disgusting. One shampoo and blow dry lasting a week makes me feel sick. No one would want to be around me past day 2. 🤢

Long hair doesn't need to be shampooed frequently, better for it to wait longer between shampoos.  You can't tell if it has been one day or 6 days since mine was done last.  

• Like 1