Anyone stayed in obstructed view cabin 6624 on Ovation of the Seas?

ddvgww

I know this is my own fault, but for the first time I booked a guaranteed balcony cabin for the price of a guaranteed ocean view when RCI were doing this free upgrade promotion,   I see today we have been assigned an obstructed view cabin 6624.  I never thought we would be assigned an obstructed view balcony cabin as there are no obstructed ocean view cabins on this ship.

Does anyone know just how obstructed the view is from this cabin?  I guess this is a lesson learnt on my part and I'm sure we will have a wonderful cruise regardless. 

23 minutes ago, ddvgww said:

I know this is my own fault, but for the first time I booked a guaranteed balcony cabin for the price of a guaranteed ocean view when RCI were doing this free upgrade promotion,   I see today we have been assigned an obstructed view cabin 6624.  I never thought we would be assigned an obstructed view balcony cabin as there are no obstructed ocean view cabins on this ship.

Does anyone know just how obstructed the view is from this cabin?  I guess this is a lesson learnt on my part and I'm sure we will have a wonderful cruise regardless. 

Most of the balcony cabins on deck 6 on this class of ship are obstructed by the lifeboats and the davits holding them up. Many people won't book a balcony guarantee on this class precisely because there is a very good chance of being assigned one of them.

Take a look at the thread I've linked below. It relates to Anthem but as far as I know the Quantum class ships all have the same layout except the newer Odyssey.

Note in particular the chart in post #9. From that, it would appear that the obstruction in your room will "just" be the top of the lifeboat, as opposed to the davits which block the view almost entirely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

And nowhere did it say you wouldn't. RCI is known for creative marketing.

Just about any major company will use "creative marketing".  I remember a class in HS (in the mid to late 80s) talking about "weasel words" in marketing.  "UP TO 70% off!"  Means the percentage off COULD be 0.  

I guess it depends on the degree of obstruction, but I would definitely accept an obstructed balcony over an ocean view cabin. Looking at the deck plan and any videos out there, can you see what the obstruction is or how much of an obstruction there is? I love having access to fresh air and sitting outside on my balcony on a sea day. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ddvgww said:

You will be looking over the top of the lifeboat (about even with the railing).

Video of 6222 (same location, but port side):

We stayed on deck 6 with an obstructed balcony on the recent TA.  We chose this cabin as it was a crazy low price, $1600.00 total for the two of us for a 15 night TA.  We could see over the lifeboat, we were ok with that as we really don’t use a balcony much and are hardly ever in our cabin.

Odyssey is a great ship, we loved it!

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Same location, but port side.

I think one is apt to see more standing on that obstructed balcony than standing at the typical small cruise ship window (or perhaps kneeling on the bed to get near that window, lol).  Plus one will get fresh air on that balcony.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ddvgww said:

On the one hand, you paid for an OceanView and are getting an Obstructed Balcony ... this IS an upgrade.  

You can check online /see what other balcony cabins are still available to book, then (assuming something's left) call Customer Service and ask if you could be changed to a different cabin.  

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

You will be looking over the top of the lifeboat (about even with the railing).

Video of 6222 (same location, but port side):

A picture -- or, in this case, a video -- is worth a thousand words.  This isn't ideal, as you won't be able to stand at the balcony rail and look down at the ocean, but you'll have a good view across the top of the lifeboats.  

Checking the deck plans, I see that this cabin is very near the stairwell /elevators, which most people consider a plus.  And you're sandwiched between Wonderland (which shouldn't be too loud) and residential rooms.  Two floors down you're in the Promenade for quick snacks or drinks.  

Would I pick this room, if all the rooms were available?  No, but it's not a bad location, and you got it for a discount.  

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

We stayed on deck 6 with an obstructed balcony on the recent TA.  We chose this cabin as it was a crazy low price, $1600.00 total for the two of us for a 15 night TA.  We could see over the lifeboat, we were ok with that as we really don’t use a balcony much and are hardly ever in our cabin.

Odyssey is a great ship, we loved it!

Sherri🙂

$53 /per person per day in a balcony?  Yeah, I'd look right over that lifeboat and be happy about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

A picture -- or, in this case, a video -- is worth a thousand words.  This isn't ideal, as you won't be able to stand at the balcony rail and look down at the ocean, but you'll have a good view across the top of the lifeboats.  

Absolutely this. I may be weird given the number of people who complain about the lifeboats  being under them, but when I'm on the balcony, I'm looking OUT towards the horizon, not down to see the water hit the side of the ship.

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Absolutely this. I may be weird given the number of people who complain about the lifeboats  being under them, but when I'm on the balcony, I'm looking OUT towards the horizon, not down to see the water hit the side of the ship.

I'm with you.  At full price, I'd be upset ... for a good discount, I can "overlook it".  

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for helping me pull my head in!  I guess I was just initially shocked when I saw we had been allocated an obstructed view balcony cabin as I had no idea this was even a possibility.

I see now my problem is that we have always been lucky in the past.  This upcoming cruise on Ovation is cruise number 48 for us, with about 75% of these being booked as guaranteed cabins. This is the first time we have ever gone guaranteed either oceanview or balcony and been given an obstructed view cabin so when I saw this my reaction was one of "shock horror ". LOL. 

We have only been on Ovation once before in 2018.  That tme we booked a guaranteed balcony and were given a junior suite.   How lucky were we?  

Apologies for sounding like a spoilt brat in my original post.  I  now am feeling happy with our cabin assignment.   As you have pointed out  it is in a good location and the lifeboat certainly does not come up past the balcony rail and we got it at a very reasonable price. 

Thanks again for helping me get things in perspective. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I’m glad you have made peace with the assignment. If you still want a shot at an unobstructed one, you could consider bidding on RoyalUp.  That has worked for some people assigned obstructed balconies.

Thanks, but content now with our cabin allocation.   By the way, your response to my topic made me laugh and helped me get over my "woe is me" complex.

5 hours ago, ddvgww said:

I see now my problem is that we have always been lucky in the past.

I don't think you've been unlucky this time!  

5 hours ago, ddvgww said:

Thanks again for helping me get things in perspective. 

4 hours ago, ddvgww said:

Thanks, but content now with our cabin allocation.   By the way, your response to my topic made me laugh and helped me get over my "woe is me" complex.

Attitude is everything.  

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't think you've been unlucky this time!  

Attitude is everything.  

I totally agree.  Thank you and everyone else for taking the time to reply to my post.  Only 29 days to go until we are once again on the beautiful Ovation of the Seas .

• Like 1