New smaller melting cakes?

49 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Order two.

Will they bring you two at a time, or do you have to finish one, flag down the server, and then wait for the 2nd?

I recall reading here that with entrees they want you to indicate you are finished with the first before ordering the second one, so I'm curious if that also applies to starters and desserts. 

13 minutes ago, TiredTrucker said:

Will they bring you two at a time, or do you have to finish one, flag down the server, and then wait for the 2nd?

I recall reading here that with entrees they want you to indicate you are finished with the first before ordering the second one, so I'm curious if that also applies to starters and desserts. 

I don't know. I would try to order both at once and see how it goes. I don't generally eat this dessert but DW loves it and has it almost every night. 

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't know. I would try to order both at once and see how it goes. I don't generally eat this dessert but DW loves it and has it almost every night. 

OK, no worries.  Just curious is all. 

8 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Shrinkflation strikes again.

As it does everywhere, of course. As I recall the normal serving is 4oz and that mold looks like it might be close to that anyway but it's hard to tell from the picture.

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

As it does everywhere, of course. As I recall the normal serving is 4oz and that mold looks like it might be close to that anyway but it's hard to tell from the picture.

I'm personally OK with the smaller size TBH - we eat too much as it is. I just hope that with the new smaller size they've adjusted the cook time so they're still melty.

• Like 11

While I was on a B2B on the Horizon 11/19-12/3, the second week they were served in a bigger oval bowl and were awful. Not melty at all, I stopped ordering them because of the new serving dish.

• Like 1

According to the chief they are now 1/3 of the size of the traditional serving dish.  The bigger issue is the consistency has been very hit or miss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jas1178 said:

According to the chief they are now 1/3 of the size of the traditional serving dish.  The bigger issue is the consistency has been very hit or miss.

Which has always been a problem unfortunately, once or twice every cruise DW received one that wasn't melty in the middle.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

That's more like a chocolate melting cake bite.

Is that like a sample? You eat it and then say "yes I'll have one of the full size ones."

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 14

I just got off the Spirit on Sunday. We ordered melting cakes on three or four nights and they were the normal size. Although some of them came out in the normal round dishes and other times, they came out in similarly-sized square dishes.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Funny enough, currently on the Mardi Gras and they are using oval dishes for the melting cake so it's technically bigger than the normal round ramekin. If my nephew gets one tonight,  I'll take a picture. 

Edited by starstruck05
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

I'm personally OK with the smaller size TBH - we eat too much as it is. I just hope that with the new smaller size they've adjusted the cook time so they're still melty.

Hopefully its still metly - on Celebration, they were overcooked, and therefore - just a dry chocolate cake.  Very disappointing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

Funny enough, currently on the Mardi Gras and they are using oval dishes for the melting cake so it's technically bigger than the normal round ramekin. If my nephew gets one tonight,  I'll take a picture. 

Good to know, I will be onboard Mardi Gras right after you!

8 hours ago, markmbsc said:

While I was on a B2B on the Horizon 11/19-12/3, the second week they were served in a bigger oval bowl and were awful. Not melty at all, I stopped ordering them because of the new serving dish.

Larger oval bowls on Glory the week before Christmas too.

8 hours ago, jas1178 said:

This has been an issue from the beginning, nothing to do with the smaller serving size.  It's always been a toss-up as to whether you'll get a remakin of hot cake batter, a fully baked cake in a bowl, or actual chocolate melting cake.

For something on the menu every night, it astounds me that they can't get it right.

10 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

On our December cruise on the Valor that was the case with entree only one served at a time. With apps and desserts they brought multiple at once.

• Thanks 1

I was on Elation in June, and they seemed to be normal sized.  I ordered one every night; it's my favorite dessert on Carnival!  Perfectly cooked and meltly as it should be, made better with a side of peanut butter 

😋

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 5:52 AM, TiredTrucker said:

I recently ordered two entrees and they were brought out together. 

On 1/2/2024 at 12:23 AM, jas1178 said:

New budget cut?  Wow they have gotten smaller!  Carnival Magic swapped sizes for this cruise.

IMG_7427.jpeg

I sailed twice last year, in June the Glory had the smaller size while in November the Spirit had the old larger size. (I am fine with the smaller size but for some reason on the Gory the server brought me two- was I profiled?)

I have a different take.  I love these too but know how many calories are in them and when I had ordered one in the past, I always intended to only eat half and stop.  But ultimately I ended up finishing it. 

Now with the smaller size, I can’t over indulge.  Perfect 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I sailed twice last year, in June the Glory had the smaller size while in November the Spirit had the old larger size. (I am fine with the smaller size but for some reason on the Gory the server brought me two- was I profiled?)

Back in the beforetimes, the servers would routinely bring two lobster tails to folks who ordered lobster. Or at least, they would to me. Several times on different cruises. 

• Like 2