Rock Room Music Volume?

smj

We were on Rotterdam a few years ago. The music was very loud at the  Rolling Stone Rock Room. Our cabin walls even vibrated. Staff brought a decibel meter to our cabin then moved us. I am wondering if this is still a problem. I am wanting to book a cruise but currently all cabins are guaranteed. Should I not book because I can pick my cabin location?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

There are cabin categories that will not be near the music venues. What is the voyage number, or ship & date?

February 16, 2024

Posted (edited)

From Cruisedeckplans.com     Go there and you can overlay.  Music venues are on deck #2 and the cabins shown are below on deck #1.  Any Veranda cabin category will be on deck #4 or higher. 

image.thumb.png.05ee54d44dfb2f38b72f252195866b3f.png

image.thumb.png.5318de02acf89d49ec061367e0e289e0.png

Edited by oakridger

Looking at Nancy's diagrams, I will point out that the curved lines bracketing "LCS and BBKings" indicate a mezzanine level, and Deck 4 cabins over that area have reported hearing the bass notes into the night. Rumor has it that the contracts with both Lincoln Center and BBKings have not been renewed and the area is being used for art auctions, so that would be a non-issue until the music is reinstated.

@smj Having sailed in one guarantee (under BBKings on the Nieuw Amsterdam) -- I honestly would not sail if I couldn't choose my cabin.

• Thanks 1

Good point @crystalspin!  I forgot about the mezzanine above BBKings!  

9 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Rumor has it that the contracts with both Lincoln Center and BBKings have not been renewed and the area is being used for art auctions, so that would be a non-issue until the music is reinstated.

I certainly hope this comment is referring to the non-pinnacle ship former LCS area and not on the pinnacle ships!   The non pinnacle ship former BB King Blues Club area is now called Rolling Stone Lounge and the old LCS area is vacant based on current reports.

And....don't even get me started on the "Art" auctions!  🙄

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Good point @crystalspin!  I forgot about the mezzanine above BBKings!  

I certainly hope this comment is referring to the non-pinnacle ship former LCS area and not on the pinnacle ships!   The non pinnacle ship former BB King Blues Club area is now called Rolling Stone Lounge and the old LCS area is vacant based on current reports.

And....don't even get me started on the "Art" auctions!  🙄

You can't possibly be referring to this in RSRR on K'dam this week.😳

20240103_185711.thumb.jpg.8cbd3a3bfd314c8484c741ad6330c771.jpg

20240103_185701.thumb.jpg.d8a682b96b0097726ab3ba4dc6a5b117.jpg

• Haha 2

They will NOT get rid of RRR or BBKings on Pinnacle class ships. They are a much bigger draw than any art auction. They ARE shifting away from Lincoln Center - but only to smaller venues.

On 1/3/2024 at 6:49 PM, smj said:

We were on Rotterdam a few years ago. The music was very loud at the  Rolling Stone Rock Room. Our cabin walls even vibrated. Staff brought a decibel meter to our cabin then moved us. I am wondering if this is still a problem. I am wanting to book a cruise but currently all cabins are guaranteed. Should I not book because I can pick my cabin location?

Yes, it is still loud.  There will always be cabins that are in poor locations on every ship.  If you want to make sure that you don't end up with one of these then you really need to consider only sailing on itineraries in which you can book your own cabin and pay the unfortunate premium that HAL demands for you to do so.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Cabin availability did open up. We were able to book a cabin at a good location. Unfortunately the only availability was an inside. 

On 1/4/2024 at 12:57 AM, Haljo1935 said:

You can't possibly be referring to this in RSRR on K'dam this week.😳

20240103_185711.thumb.jpg.8cbd3a3bfd314c8484c741ad6330c771.jpg

20240103_185701.thumb.jpg.d8a682b96b0097726ab3ba4dc6a5b117.jpg

Having been away from HAL (and CC) for quite a while and yet incurably curious as we genuinely loved both BB Kings and RSRR... what is that? They did not seriously forgo the live music and turn the entire space into an art auction.. please say No or I will lose all my faith in humanity

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Having been away from HAL (and CC) for quite a while and yet incurably curious as we genuinely loved both BB Kings and RSRR... what is that? They did not seriously forgo the live music and turn the entire space into an art auction.. please say No or I will lose all my faith in humanity

No they do not, so you can continue to breathe, lol. There are times when the venues are not being used for music that they are used to host other functions. BB King's, for example, is where daily mass was held most mornings on the K'dam. Coffee talks w/T&CD and their guests will use one of the locations as will the florist. 

There was light banter about art auctions which prompted me to post the pictures after seeing an auction being set up.

Jewelry auctions are held in there, too, but they don't make the visual impact all those paintings lined up make. 😏

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

No they do not, so you can continue to breathe, lol. There are times when the venues are not being used for music that they are used to host other functions. BB King's, for example, is where daily mass was held most mornings on the K'dam. Coffee talks w/T&CD and their guests will use one of the locations as will the florist. 

There was light banter about art auctions which prompted me to post the pictures after seeing an auction being set up.

Whew. Okay, I'll keep breathing lol. Forgive me if I am NEVER surprised by anything that any cruise line does to make money nowadays and I do know that before dh and I took our HAL (and cruising) hiatus there was much chatter about HAL and BB Kings (and maybe even RS) having contractual issues. I knew other activities most especially Mass happened in those spaces. The dreaded "art" auction.. no amount of bubbly wine is worth it. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1