LIVE! HAL Oosterdam 1/7-1/29 South America & Antarctica—Let’s Cruise!

On 1/24/2024 at 9:50 PM, flamingos said:

What's the exchange rate today?

19 minutes ago, CrosNest said:

Could I please ask if you had much of a problem with mosquitoes, and if so where, predominantly. Many thanks

Haven’t seen one mosquito. they always bite me first if they are around. In Port Chaccabuco for our walk they said to wear insect repellant which we did not have and I was worried.  No need to be.

That said, if you visit at a slightly different time, who is to say it won’t be mosquito season then?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TravelBluebird said:

Haven’t seen one mosquito. they always bite me first if they are around. In Port Chaccabuco for our walk they said to wear insect repellant which we did not have and I was worried.  No need to be.

That said, if you visit at a slightly different time, who is to say it won’t be mosquito season then?

We are going in two weeks time, so hopefully should be fine. Thanks so much for your prompt response, really enjoying your blog

• Like 1

We are awake, have had traditional breakfast on the Lido (since our tour is 10:30 to 2:30; no break for lunch) and are in our room as the tenders are being lowered into the water for our day in Punta del Este.

Punta del Este is a real beach resort town; the “Monaco of Argentina”

Our excursion is the city tour with the Ralli museum and Casa Pueblo.

In the meantime, next post will be some more penguin photos; from my Nikon at Punta Tombo reserve.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

MORE penguins?!!?

😁👏

Well I’ve been TRYING to post them but for some reason they won’t load up.

Will have to send after today’s excursion. Sorry for the wait!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

My biggesr concern is my phone—due to the slow internet uploads, my photos and video are NOT backed up to my iCloud; if my phone was stolen, my photos would be gone. I’m actually thinking of just taking out my Mini Osmo 3 video camera for my Buenos Aires tour the first day.  

Just a thought- you might consider getting a USB to backup to locally. They are now available with USB and Lightning interfaces. You download the associated app then pop the stick into your iOS device and easily copy onto it. I have used mine for that and also to quickly transfer files from my phone to my iPad and computer.

Here’s the link if anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpand-iPhone-Type-C-Devices/dp/B08JCX96NC?pd_rd_w=yAYV6&content-id=amzn1.sym.b854a5c2-4475-41f8-a6d4-df92b2868104&pf_rd_p=b854a5c2-4475-41f8-a6d4-df92b2868104&pf_rd_r=P0YBF8GQXRGCWGTFCRHZ&pd_rd_wg=GgUnu&pd_rd_r=c64c3957-2e7d-4fc7-a283-e3137b940144&pd_rd_i=B08JCX96NC&psc=1&ref_=pd_basp_m_rpt_ba_s_3_sc

When I went to SA I carried a pocket camera to allow me to keep my phone hidden and my DSLR packed away. I got a Canon Powershot- mine had the ability to set aperture, shutter speed, iso and the optics were decent. My only complaint was there was a bit of a delay in taking the shot and the color was a bit different than what I get from my D5500. (I recently gave it to a friend who is a professional photographer and teaches photography. She was shocked and delighted it had those controls.)

(I also made a travel vest that allows me to zip up and cover my DSLR easily. I cut the front pieces with extra space to cover the “bulge”. )

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Just a thought- you might consider getting a USB to backup to locally. They are now available with USB and Lightning interfaces. You download the associated app then pop the stick into your iOS device and easily copy onto it. I have used mine for that and also to quickly transfer files from my phone to my iPad and computer.

@TiogaCruiser thanks; that looks like a handy device for local backup. Is it quick for video? I have a small 1TB  local hard drive I travel with, mostly in case I fill up my phone’s memory, but it is painfully slow to transfer any large files like video

Well I’d love to show you the promised penguin photos from Punta Tomba, but for some reason, even when I compress them, when I try to add them to cruise critic I’m getting a black screen instead of the photo; don’t understand why. 

Here are 2 I was able to make work

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 3:59 PM, billco said:

Did you have a chance to inquire about the Panomax 360 webcam?

https://hal.panomax.com/oosterdam

I would imagine the internet person might know something. Thanks

I asked Guest Services and they said that the photo department would know. Huge line there tonight, so when we go pick up our photo package tomorrow, I will ask!

We had a fun day in Punta del Este. Real beach town!  

Had to spend time doing some ship B-roll and ship tour video after our excursion so ship life tonight is running a little behind…we were also out till 4:30. Longest wait for a tender, but the tenders here are municipal run by the government, so that was out of the control of HAL.

We also watched the second dance show, which we enjoyed.  

We are currently heading out to sea a little bit to spend the night, as Punta del Este and Montevideo are not that far apart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

@TiogaCruiser thanks; that looks like a handy device for local backup. Is it quick for video? I have a small 1TB  local hard drive I travel with, mostly in case I fill up my phone’s memory, but it is painfully slow to transfer any large files like video

I can’t tell you off the top of my head but I’m sure it depends on the device’s speed. 

Good morning!  After 20 days of great health on this trip, l have some severe tendonitis (back leg, behind knee).  I’ve taken some anti-inflammatories, also stretching this morning. Hoping to make my walking tour this afternoon, but will not get to roam around this morning with DH.  Tour isn’t till 1pm so I am optimistic!

Just having coffee in room. It’s 70 beautiful degrees. We are docked right near downtown Montevideo.

Also received our Disembarkation instructions for our day-long tour before our airport transfer to EZE airport.  One thing it didn’t mention is WHEN we are supposed to put our bags out tomorrow night.

image.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/20/2024 at 6:38 AM, TravelBluebird said:

I'm just sorry you didn't order the whole roasted turkey and show us a photo of that!

😀

Dinner photos below; I had the beetroot cured salmon and the Penne with Italian sausage.

IMG_7692.jpeg

17 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

First thing to check is your computer's USB ports. Do you have any of the faster USB 3 or USB 4 ports. If you have at least 1 USB 3 or 4, use that port rather than a USB 2 port. You can also check the rating of the USB cable, as older cables have slower transfer rates.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, haptrav said:

There were mosquitoes in Iguazu Falls when we went there last year.  

We have been at the Falls the last 2 days.  Not a single insect bite for us!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

@TravelBluebird...in case you are interested a fellow LONG time cruiser @jimbo5544over on the Celebrity CC page has started a live for his cruise to Antartica.

Hoping by linking him here he will now check out your exciting review with photos!

Awesome!  And I can enjoy @jimbo5544 LIVE as I ease back into “real life”. Which I think will be even harder after this cruise than after most!

• Like 2

I had a bit of a rough day with what I think is tendonitis (I’ve had it before).

I did go on my walking tour at 1pm; wore my knee brace I always have just in case, and was super careful. Wasn’t a fast pace, and I avoided as many stairs as I could.

The walking tour of Montevideo was just what we hoped—walked all over the old town. Got to visit inside the market, the cathedral, a small art museum, and the Teatro Solis (the very beautiful theater from the 1800s that is now run by the government).  We even had time to run into Starbucks to get a Uruguay mug to add to our collection. 

Dinner int the MDR did not disappoint (it never does). DH had Coq au Vin and I had the Rosemary Roasted Lamb with Cheese Polenta. For appetizers, it was the Crab Roll and the Grilled Eggplant, Zucchini and Asparagus.

We tried to pick up our photo package but due to some misunderstanding it was not ready, and also I could not get that answer on the Panomax 360 that i’ve been trying to get for @billco Will try tomorrow with the other photo staff when we get our package.

The leg thing has sapped my energy; did some pre-packing in the room and now am resting for my “small group” tour of Buenos Aires in the morning.  

IMG_0147.jpeg

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0110.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0070.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_9992.jpeg

IMG_9979.jpeg

IMG_9951.jpeg

IMG_9929.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Awesome!  And I can enjoy @jimbo5544 LIVE as I ease back into “real life”. Which I think will be even harder after this cruise than after most!

I can attest that is true… much harder.

and a year later, still thinking almost daily about the truly “awe”some experience of Antarctica (and actually longing for “eau du penguin”).

the only thing that helps is that it’s a tad warmer back home.

• Like 2