Silvesea Questions

chrismakris

Just now, edgee said:

Thank you. That is reassuring. I was looking at an on line TA website which says all restaurants open at 7;30.

I have no clue about that time......every cruise I have been on dinner (except for Silver Note) showed 7pm. Silver Note starts at 8. 

If the website says 7:30? Maybe the time has changed and someone on a current sailing can confirm it for you.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, drron29 said:

If he hasn’t done a good job and he stands at the door with his hand out I will shake his/her hand. Then I will give them my tip- do a better job next time.

There is a lot of the world who don’t share the ways of the USA. Strange but true.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. 

Edited by Texas Tillie

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

And then there are travellers from countries where guides are properly paid. 

However, they are traveling the world and are often in countries where the guides aren't "properly paid". If they can't adjust to where they are, not where they are from, perhaps they should stay home where they approve of the standards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I've noticed that often some who can afford luxury lines are bigger cheap skates than those on mass market lines.

3 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

And then there are travellers from countries where guides are properly paid. 

If the luxury lines are truly all-inclusive, they should be tipping the guides if they need to be tipped. And in countries where guides are properly paid that means that no tips are required from either the cruise line or the traveller.

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

However, they are traveling the world and are often in countries where the guides aren't "properly paid". If they can't adjust to where they are, not where they are from, perhaps they should stay home where they approve of the standards.

That's true. I remember a horrified Japanese lady guide trying to be polite when a fellow traveller tried to force some Yen upon her. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

That's true. I remember a horrified Japanese lady guide trying to be polite when a fellow traveller tried to force some Yen upon her. 

It’s up to the traveler to learn the customs. I know better than to tip in Japan. I almost never tip in Australia as too many Australians come on sites like this and are absolutely holier than thou about tipping. Just don’t forget, it works both ways and “we don’t tip where I’m from” doesn’t work when visiting a country where tipping is expected. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

It’s up to the traveler to learn the customs. I know better than to tip in Japan. I almost never tip in Australia as too many Australians come on sites like this and are absolutely holier than thou about tipping. Just don’t forget, it works both ways and “we don’t tip where I’m from” doesn’t work when visiting a country where tipping is expected. 

National stereotyping. Helpful. 

• Like 1

The "ugly" tourists from every country are never aware that they are perceived as wrong.  Just like here.  This applies wherever the shoe fits.  [It will be interesting to see who on this thread thinks I'm referring to them, or to their sparring partner...]

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Coming from a non-tipping nation, (or rather truly voluntary tipping, if the service is better than expected) I continue to be amazed when visiting say the USA and Canada at the variations I’m told by locals as to where, and who to tip.  And how much.  40 years of visiting those nations, and I still can’t figure it out for sure.

I will tip anywhere in the world for good or better than expected service ( except Japan). This encourages it.  I will not tip in the western world for bad service. This too would encourage such. I will always discretely tip anyone providing a service in a Third World country where it looks as though it won’t offend.

And yes, I tipped my Butler and room attendant over and above the gratuities that are included in my recent SilverSea cruise because to my mind, they did provide outstanding service, irrespective of whether that was the expected standard or not.

Moral  for me, I tip on the occasion, not the custom.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

See comment above.  Show me an agreed manual of tipping customs in a particular country and the amounts, and variations within said country, and I'll follow it.  Or perhaps you can squelch the holier-than-thous by listing the customs right here?

Anyone who tips when the server had been rude or not up to the task, 'because it is the custom in this country' is a mug.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. 

It’s a pity that many don’t do that.

IMG_7349.thumb.jpeg.bd790d64d612ccbc15abd8f743b6477c.jpeg

As in many places tipping wasn’t the culture until large scale American tourism began that tipping was introduced because they did not do as the Romans did. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2024 at 8:11 PM, drron29 said:

It’s a pity that many don’t do that.

IMG_7349.thumb.jpeg.bd790d64d612ccbc15abd8f743b6477c.jpeg

As in many places tipping wasn’t the culture until large scale American tourism began that tipping was introduced because they did not do as the Romans did. 

Luckily we found out from our tour guides in Australia that they make a very large salary, and pay very little for food and housing than we do in Florida. I think they were surprised to find that out from those of us on their excursions, where we only gave a tip for excellence, and told them why we were giving a tip. After what we were told about tipping in Australia by the locals, we didn't feel that we should give a tip at bars or restaurants, but we still did  give a small tip if we were given excellent service. If Australians do the same visiting the US, where our cost of living is high compared to salaries for a tour guide, then they may not be welcomed if they don't tip. Salaries in the US in the food industry have gone up a substantial amount since Covid, and the percentage of tip has increased along with that.

And yes, we did tip at an Italian restaurant when our tour guide suggested a local restaurant in Florence for lunch. Three couples went (and not the tour guide), and we had a wonderful time, with great food, 3 dollar glasses of wine, and we enjoyed everything for a very low price. The service was excellent even though none of us spoke Italian, and even with a tip, it was a bargain.

• Like 1