Northbound vs southbound???

rucingok

I have not seen this particular question answered.  Both cruises are the 3 week of June.  We will stay 1-2 days pre and post cruise, either way.  Either start in Whittier or start in Vancouver.  

Question: Is embarkation or debarkation easier or harder in one port vs the other enough to make a difference??  IE if embarkation is a nightmare in Whittier, maybe we should start in Vancouver and debark in Whittier.  

Thanks!!

It is a very common discussion. 

Vancouver is commonly derided as a regular disaster when boarding. But it's clunky disembarking as well. Not as bad as boarding. 

Whittier has complex logistics coming or going. Make sure you read up on that before making your decisions. 

2 hours ago, rucingok said:

I have not seen this particular question answered.  Both cruises are the 3 week of June.  We will stay 1-2 days pre and post cruise, either way.  Either start in Whittier or start in Vancouver.  

Question: Is embarkation or debarkation easier or harder in one port vs the other enough to make a difference??  IE if embarkation is a nightmare in Whittier, maybe we should start in Vancouver and debark in Whittier.  

Thanks!!

I answered this very question only a couple of weeks ago with a comprehensive post. May I suggest researching back through older threads.

As Bruce mentioned, it is a very common discussion.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

I answered this very question only a couple of weeks ago with a comprehensive post. May I suggest researching back through older threads.

As Bruce mentioned, it is a very common discussion.

Heidi 13 I would love to read your comprehensive post, unfortunately I cannot find it!  Can you please post a link or point me to it's title,...  Thanks

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

It is a very common discussion. 

Vancouver is commonly derided as a regular disaster when boarding. But it's clunky disembarking as well. Not as bad as boarding. 

Whittier has complex logistics coming or going. Make sure you read up on that before making your decisions. 

Vancouver boarding is far worse at the beginning of the season also compared to later in the season.

17 hours ago, rucingok said:

Heidi 13 I would love to read your comprehensive post, unfortunately I cannot find it!  Can you please post a link or point me to it's title,...  Thanks

For future reference and to make using CC more useful to you if you are looking for posts from a specific person you can just click on their handle and all the rest of their posts will be listed.

DON

• Like 2

We have both boarded and disembarked in Vancouver.  I also sense that boarding in Vancouver is more of a headache early in the season; my opinion is based on an experience when the ship we were boarding was the second of the season.  But just pack your patience and be prepared for some lines.   

15 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We have both boarded and disembarked in Vancouver.  I also sense that boarding in Vancouver is more of a headache early in the season; my opinion is based on an experience when the ship we were boarding was the second of the season.  But just pack your patience and be prepared for some lines.   

The biggest factor is usually the number of ships in port. Remembering it was originally designed for a max of 5 ships with 700 - 750 pax, a single ship carries that many these days. On 4 ship days, it is operating a 3 times its original capacity.

As you posted, on those busy days, be prepared to queue and wait.

I cruised out of Vancouver during restart. It was the last week that required Covid tests in order to board and it was such an easy boarding. Ok I will say there was a lot of walking but there were no lines. It was late in the season with a smaller ship and the only one in port that day. So far in my 3 cruises I haven’t had a bad embarkation process.

Personally I like the southbound voyage because I like finishing with the inside passage. Also when I get off the ship I can just hop on the skytrain and head to the airport for an early afternoon flight. By the end of a cruise I’m more than happy to avoid getting on another coach bus for a transfer honestly. If you want to spend a few hours downtown Vancouver there are luggage storage places as well. 

• Like 1