3 adults in a Club Balcony - Escape

i haven't been on the escape, but i have been in many club balcony accommodations. they are pretty uniform across the fleet in that they generally offer a larger bathroom and a little extra space within the cabin.

are two of those adults a couple and will be sleeping together?

if so, three to a room will be fine.

if not, i'm not even sure there are three separate sleeping areas.

the beds can be put together for a queen size bed if there is a "couple" or separated . the couch pulls out, and ive slept on it many times with no problems. so 3 people in a club balcony should be fine. the only caveat is the bathroom facilities. it may get a little crowded or a lot intense, depending on the need or the urge to go.

try and see if the 2 bedroom suite will meet you budget. it will certainly accomodate  your needs. for the past 2 years, a very close friend of mine has been traveling with us. she pays a smaller portion of the fare, takes the smaller bedroom/bath, and still gets all the perks of a suite.

15 minutes ago, complawyer said:

try and see if the 2 bedroom suite will meet you budget. it will certainly accomodate  your needs. for the past 2 years, a very close friend of mine has been traveling with us. she pays a smaller portion of the fare, takes the smaller bedroom/bath, and still gets all the perks of a suite.

NCL asks for a lot when going from a Club Balcony Suite to a Haven 2BR on Escape. There are no non-Haven suites on that ship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Just looking for opinions from folks who have had 3 adults in a club balcony suite on the Escape? Was it horrible? I'm so concerned with the lack of space. Only positive is it's a port-intensive cruise, and we would not be on the ship much. 

You didn't mention the relationships between the adults, or the length of the cruise. As you've been cruising since 1982, I assume you're not three 20-something best friends out to party. Three adults in a club balcony is going to be tight. No getting around it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

NCL asks for a lot when going from a Club Balcony Suite to a Haven 2BR on Escape. There are no non-Haven suites on that ship. 

It's a lot. The best I can do is a forward facing haven suite. Still only 1 bathroom, but at least 2 separate sleeping areas.

Edited by CruisingSince1982

19 hours ago, IAcruising said:

You didn't mention the relationships between the adults, or the length of the cruise. As you've been cruising since 1982, I assume you're not three 20-something best friends out to party. Three adults in a club balcony is going to be tight. No getting around it. 

Married adults and adult child. It's going to be tight. I doubt we will do it.

6 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Doing it right now on the Breakaway, 

Plenty of room and storage.

Parents and adult daughter.

• Like 2

It's very doable, I've travelled with a sister + adult daughter in a club balcony.  Everyone had a healthy dose of cooperation & understanding, which made it nice.  Not sure I'd want to try it with someone who had diva tendencies, if you follow my drift.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

You’ll have plenty of space

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

In reading the title of this thread, I was expecting some "R" rated answers.

Maybe I'm the only one with my mind in the gutter.

Wouldn't be the first time...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, DavidOrawan said:

Doing it right now on the Breakaway, 

Plenty of room and storage.

Parents and adult daughter.

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

You’ll have plenty of space

Obviously a very subjective situation. I'm 235 lbs. and Mrs. IA is 110 soaking wet. We're already bumping into each other and always in each other's way.  Add another adult of any size and there will be some angst, for certain. Storage would probably be fine, again, depending.

We'll never do it, but to each their own. We all choose our own level of comfort.

5 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

I've done it and I'm doing it again in April. Wife, myself and adult daughter.

The key is the bathroom. It's a great size for a cruise ship.

• Like 3

based on your description, married adults and adult child, you should be ok. the pull out couch (although others often disagree) to me is very comfortable. assuming it's your daughter that sleeps on it, there should be no problem, but it does take up space in your cabin when it's opened. 

the only downside, is using the bathroom (if you can work that out, you're good to go)

• Like 2

Now that I think about it, we had 4 adult friends in a mini-suite (now "club balcony") on the NCL Star for my very first cruise back in 2005. We were all in our 30s and willing to work things out, and the mini-suites on the Star are roomier than on some of the newer ships. But it is doable depending on the flexibility of the travelers! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

The 3rd bed is really just sleeping on the hard sofa. Not a sofa bed. The very very firm sofa. You can try to request an egg crate pad, but it is still the sofa. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

That was my original plan for the cruise I just got back from (myself and DH in the big bed, DD22 on the couch.)  The sleeping arrangements would have been fine, and I think clothes storage would have worked as well - we'd have had the balcony to spread out on if we were all in the room at the same time, so I think it'd be ok.  We are not skinny people, either.  Once through the bottleneck of the door, the cabin felt spacious with DH and myself, and I don't think the 3rd person would have compromised that.

I did have some misgivings, though, about the bathroom, and everybody's "stuff".  This cabin had a little less in terms of storage than I'm used to, and if we'd been navigating around each others' stuff, that would have started to feel cramped.  For a week on a ship, though, with an adult child who likely would have found things to do without us, and a port-intensive itinerary, I'd have done it.  Going from the Club Balcony to a Haven 2 BR suite would have been a rather large chunk of money.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 10:40 AM, CruisingSince1982 said:

I was the adult child (I think I was 27 at the time?) who did this in what is now called a club balcony on the Star. The older ships are a bit different in that there was a curtain that could be pulled between the bed and the couch area for a small amount of privacy. The sofa bed was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on!! That said, I would 100% do it again for the free trip to Alaska. Well, maybe not now that I'm in my 40's, but if I were still in my 20's!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gymbomb said:

I was the adult child (I think I was 27 at the time?) who did this in what is now called a club balcony on the Star. The older ships are a bit different in that there was a curtain that could be pulled between the bed and the couch area for a small amount of privacy. The sofa bed was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on!! That said, I would 100% do it again for the free trip to Alaska. Well, maybe not now that I'm in my 40's, but if I were still in my 20's!

I think this is a great answer from someone who has experienced being the third passenger.

When our two young adult children were teenagers, we always booked the then called mini suite with large balcony.  They were always free as 3rd and 4th passengers.   Was it tight, yes.  Was it very affordable, yes.   We had years of practice by then of sharing space in a hotel room.    At the time, affordability was more important to us than more room.    

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 8:50 PM, BirdTravels said:

The 3rd bed is really just sleeping on the hard sofa. Not a sofa bed. The very very firm sofa. You can try to request an egg crate pad, but it is still the sofa. 

Is it the same type of sofa that's in the Haven Forward Facing Suite?