Passport question

We have a cruise coming up soon in which our passports will expire 4 months beyond this cruise. After reading the cruise contract from our TA, it states that passports should be valid for 6 months beyond the date of the start of the cruise. This is a closed loop cruise, therefore starting and ending in the U.S.  

My question, how strict are either Caribbean countries or the cruise lines with enforcing this rule? 

22 minutes ago, choochella said:

We have a cruise coming up soon in which our passports will expire 4 months beyond this cruise. After reading the cruise contract from our TA, it states that passports should be valid for 6 months beyond the date of the start of the cruise. This is a closed loop cruise, therefore starting and ending in the U.S.  

My question, how strict are either Caribbean countries or the cruise lines with enforcing this rule? 

If a specific country requires a 6 month left on passport for entering, then it's quite likely you may not be allowed to board.  It's not the cruise line that's requiring the 6 months, it's a country specific requirement.

You need to check the specific countries that you will be visiting for their restrictions.

You say "it states that passports should be valid for 6 months beyond the date of the start of the cruise."  The operative word is "should".  It could just be the TA's policy to make such a statement.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would contact the cruise line directly and ask them.  As mentioned, it is not their policy but the different ports of call but they should know how enforceable the policy is.  I agree, the word "could" is indeed the question. I would not want to hang my hat on that though.

If they need to be renewed, the renewal times are back to normal and with expedition can be turned around fairly quickly.  However as you mention it is a US based closed loop itinerary, and to my knowledge the alternative of a valid photo ID plus original birth certificate can be used for boarding in place of a passport.  Just may be an option to consider.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

If it is a typical closed loop Caribbean cruise (which ordinarily just requires ID rather than a passport) you should have no problem.  If there is a stop at one of the very few ports which require passports (such as St. Barth’s.) there could be a problem.

Of course you should check with the line. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, choochella said:

It's not possible to answer the question without knowing your itinerary and what cruise line you're sailing on.

Some cruise lines...although generally not the mass market cruise lines...require all passengers to have passports with at least six months remaining validity regardless of the itinerary.

Some countries require all passengers to have passports with at least six months remaining validity.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that sometimes there are changes to the itinarary.  So IF that ends up changing to include a country that does have 6-month timing, the ship would need to have the passengers suitably qualified.

And it's apparently not sufficient to say, "Well, we won't get off the ship".

I think (can someone clarify?) that once the ship is in the country's "waters", all passengers are considered to be "in the country".

(Even if that turns out not to be correct, the ship may not want to need to deal with "some passengers can't legally leave the ship", etc.)

To be safe, to avoid risking being turned away from boarding, I'd double check the laws of each country planned *and* determine what the cruiseline requires for that particular sailing.  And I wouldn't accept the answer of just one person at some phone bank for something important like this.  They may not know the correct answer...  Get it in writing.

GC

11 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

And it's apparently not sufficient to say, "Well, we won't get off the ship".

I think (can someone clarify?) that once the ship is in the country's "waters", all passengers are considered to be "in the country".

Correct.

The US Department of State's website includes a Traveler section.  Go to https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html.html

In the "Learn About Your Destination" enter the ports (one at a time of course) on your itinerary.  You'll find Quick Facts (include passport validity) and more detailed information including Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements.

Just keep in mind that any cruise line is free to adopt rules (including Passport requirements) that are more stringent than the government.  So, for example, Oceania requires everyone have a valid Passport, even on closed-loop cruises.  

As others have said, you should check on the requirements for each of your ports and ALSO contact your cruise line to clarify their requirements.  If the cruise line says you do not need to be concerned, make sure to get that in writing and take it along on your cruise.

Hank

Thanks everyone for the replies. We are just doing a western Caribbean which we’ve done many times before. This was the only time in which we ran into this situation. We have decided to just reapply for our passports just to play it safe, even if they do not expire until August. My question I also was wondering, will our passports continue with an August 2034 expiration or 10 years from the date of issue? Guess at this point it doesn’t really matter. 

Edited by choochella

7 minutes ago, choochella said:

My question I also was wondering, will our passports continue with an August 2034 expiration or 10 years from the date of issue? Guess at this point it doesn’t really matter. 

They expire 10 years from date of issue (actually the day before the date of issue).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The French West Indies, which includes the islands of Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Saint Martin, and Saint Barthélemy, require a actual passport book. Neither a US passport card nor a birth certificate would work here due to French immigration laws.