Upgrades

27 minutes ago, Latkebabka said:

Thanks. I’ve never been in an inside cabin or had an obstructed view, so I will admit to having made assumptions.  I thought some cabins are fully obstructed and that’s what I was thinking about. 

Obstructed views certainly due vary w/some looking directly into a lifeboat, for example. That's what I was expecting only to find this one looked OVER a lifeboat, not into it. The sunset picture was taken standing on the balcony; the other picture was taken from inside the cabin.

My lesson learned was to check the deckplan and ask questions cuz I saw some amazing views.😊

On 1/10/2024 at 6:11 AM, kazu said:

HAL will try to sell the upgrade first (upsell) which many people may be willing to pay for.

We've been offered an upsell to a Vista Suite on an upcoming cruise. We didn't bite. What is the chance that HAL will sweeten the deal and try again?

2 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

We've been offered an upsell to a Vista Suite on an upcoming cruise. We didn't bite. What is the chance that HAL will sweeten the deal and try again?

It depends.  if not enough people “bite” at the deal, there will be a second round of offers at a better price (usually).  

If people jump on the deal and take it so there are none left, then they are gone.

Sometimes HAL’s upsells are ridiculous and other times very reasonable.  As long as you know what price you were willing to pay and what you think is fair, it’s all good.  

Thanks Jacqui.

One of the large online travel agencies is still showing suite availability, so there may be a second round...

The offer was fair enough, but because we are concerned about possibly missing the cruise altogether (flying in the same day), we are reluctant to spend more than we are willing to lose. (I know, it's always a good idea to arrive a day or two early...)

27 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

One of the large online travel agencies is still showing suite availability, so there may be a second round...

You are seeing rooms that are unassigned,  not necessarily available. You can't see how many guarantee bookings there are, so literally,  one additional booking could fill that category. 

29 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You are seeing rooms that are unassigned,  not necessarily available. You can't see how many guarantee bookings there are, so literally,  one additional booking could fill that category. 

True, but is it possible to reserve a suite guarantee? I thought the guarantee option only applied to the lower categories.

Just now, daisy-mae said:

True, but is it possible to reserve a suite guarantee? I thought the guarantee option only applied to the lower categories.

Absolutely. 3 of our last 4 cruises have been SC or SB guarantees, depending on the model of ship. There are guarantee booking options at all levels of cabins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

First upsell offer to a Signature Suite was 2 weeks ago for my January 29, 22 day cruise $1239 pp.  I called Friday, upsell is now $699 pp and there are 20+ SS still available, some in extremely good locations   I will call again next Friday.  I’m hoping for less than $300pp.  Last time I upgraded to an SS on the Oosterdam it was  $149pp 3 days before a 14 day cruise.  

The cruise is sold out.  People are just being assigned their guarantees.  I like my current cabin but would love the additional space for a 22 day cruise.

Btw, I believe the Vista ships have more SS cabins than the other classes.

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

First upsell offer to a Signature Suite was 2 weeks ago for my January 29, 22 day cruise $1239 pp.  I called Friday, upsell is now $699 pp and there are 20+ SS still available, some in extremely good locations   I will call again next Friday.  I’m hoping for less than $300pp.  Last time I upgraded to an SS on the Oosterdam it was  $149pp 3 days before a 14 day cruise.  

The cruise is sold out.  People are just being assigned their guarantees.  I like my current cabin but would love the additional space for a 22 day cruise.

Btw, I believe the Vista ships have more SS cabins than the other classes.

If the cruise is sold out, there are a ton of guarantee bookings you can't see. They might be mostly lower level cabins. I wish people would quit thinking what they see on line is the whole story.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I wish people would quit thinking what they see on line is the whole story.

You cannot see any cabins online for my cruise because it is “sold out”. I called the upsell department and ask the cost for an upsell and what Signature Suites would be available for my move.  She gave me 20+ SS that were available if I purchased the upsell.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 0106 said:

You cannot see any cabins online for my cruise because it is “sold out”. I called the upsell department and ask the cost for an upsell and what Signature Suites would be available for my move.  She gave me 20+ SS that wet available if I purchased the upsell.

But, with guaranteed bookings,  you take one, that might lock off all the remaining "available " cabins, due to the way guarantee bookings work.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Which ship? And what is your current cabin category?

ETA: and length of cruise?

Edited by crystalspin

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, redbanshee said:

I feel very fortunate that last year on an Alaska cruise we were upgraded from inside cabin to veranda….completely free🤗

Congrats! That is a huge win - especially nice for AK.

We also had an unexpected free upgrade last year on Eurodam to AK - went from fully obstructed to Signature Suite.

• Like 1