Priority boarding

bobpell

32 minutes ago, bobpell said:

Any Canucks getting their medallions mailed to their homes?

Bob

How do you get your medallion, if they are not mailed to UK?
We are Elite + on Celebrity and choose our boarding time when we check in 45 days before embarkation. This cuts down on queues.

Boarding time varies from 11.30am to approx 3 pm.

Edited by upwarduk

10 hours ago, bobpell said:

First timers with this benefit because of our room selection.

Do we mention this after getting our medallions?

What actually happens?

Thanks

Bob

Sounds like you might be in reserve or suites. They will move you into the correct checkin line.Be sure you let them know your accommodations. If not you might be in the "general" boarding lines, which can be quite long depending on ship size.

7 hours ago, CCFC said:

We were picked up by Princess from the Hilton and taken straight to the ship around noon. Boarding had started and there were two queues, one for people with Medallions and another for those without. There was no priority for anyone though those with Medallions got on a lot quicker. It was my 5th time embarking in Fort Lauderdale, the last time was 2019 when we had priority boarding. It was quite disappointing after all these cruises with them (29).

Okay, I hear you.  In this case, you arrived at the terminal well after general boarding had commenced.  In this case, all checked-in guests simply proceed onto the ship by the time you arrived.  

Many have reported a very short extra time to be handed Medallions.  I would think in FL that most guests already have Medallions.  I have read many reports where Green Lane was longer than Blue Lane.

All this said, I do not like the new system anymore than most people.  Fine to have a Green/Blue divide - although I think the real purpose is to push guests into packages or to pay for shipping.  It took forever to add Canada and around that eventual time, they claimed to be going to add UK and Australia shortly.  Well, shortly in Princess land can be a very long time. 

My guess on their side is some bloke in the Ivory Tower figured the check-in process is so smooth now, it would not matter much about priority boarding.  And, let's remember that priority boarding still exists - as long as one is checked in prior to start of boarding time. 

All we can do is complain with collective voices and try and convince HQ that you are being harmed by not getting processed through the terminal faster.  If they have enough complaints in writing, perhaps they will redesign.

The VP Sales stated guests can go in whatever lane they like, but IDK if that works in real world.  After all, she is in sales and was being made aware this new way could affect check-in timing.

If it makes you feel any better, by the time you arrived, the top things that get booked right away on voyages from FL would be gone anyway (e.g. Sanctuary). 

Some additional advice.  Book your own hotel and taxi to terminal.  Princess is NEVER going to get you there in time to be in the lounge waiting for boarding to begin.  It also costs a lot more the way you did it.

14 hours ago, bobpell said:

Any Canucks getting their medallions mailed to their homes?

Bob

Just yesterday we received the official shipping notification, with USPS tracking number, though the tracking number doesn't actually work. Our trip leaves San Pedro on Feb 3.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, upwarduk said:

The last time we sailed on Princess was in 2017 and we were on Crown Princess.
No medallions then.

Can someone explain the purpose of the medallion please?

In a VERY general summary, it replaces the card you used to get that you would charge drinks, chips, shops to as well as open your cabin door. There is a whole section of the Princess website that explains it. There are a ton more features but I’ll let you do your own research

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Just yesterday we received the official shipping notification, with USPS tracking number, though the tracking number doesn't actually work. Our trip leaves San Pedro on Feb 3.

It takes 24-48 hours normally, in the US anyway, for the tracking to activate.

We usually get the medallion about 11 days before sailing.  IDK about Canada delivery.  Let us know.

29 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

It takes 24-48 hours normally, in the US anyway, for the tracking to activate.

We usually get the medallion about 11 days before sailing.  IDK about Canada delivery.  Let us know.

Thanks. According to reports on other threads, I don't expect it to actually work until the package arrives here in Canada and falls under the "care" of Canada Post. Even then, it probably won't show as it does for US residents. The 10 or 11 days sounds about right for Canada based on other reports and we sail Feb 3, so we should get it in plenty of time.  I use a website called Parcelsapp.com which usually does a good job of tracking packages worldwide, but even that one doesn't show it yet.

23 hours ago, bobpell said:

First timers with this benefit because of our room selection.

Do we mention this after getting our medallions?

What actually happens?

Thanks

Bob

We are in a similar situation, but UK based, so we can't have our medallions mailed. The priority embarkation appealed as a benefit. However, I've lowered my expectations on what this actually entails. Our regular cruise line has a separate priority check in desk or separate area, depending on cabin/eligibility for priority. After check in, you clear security and board. As we know no different, I hoped for similar. From what I've read, Princess check in is just 2 queues, blue and green. After that, you're sent to wait in an area for boarding, which seems where the priority applies, those with the higher priorities board first.

It sounds a bit disappointing, but we're not sailing from FFL so it might not be, we might be surprised, but I'm managing my expectations that we'll just have to do a lot of queuing and waiting.

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We are in a similar situation, but UK based, so we can't have our medallions mailed. The priority embarkation appealed as a benefit. However, I've lowered my expectations on what this actually entails. Our regular cruise line has a separate priority check in desk or separate area, depending on cabin/eligibility for priority. After check in, you clear security and board. As we know no different, I hoped for similar. From what I've read, Princess check in is just 2 queues, blue and green. After that, you're sent to wait in an area for boarding, which seems where the priority applies, those with the higher priorities board first.

It sounds a bit disappointing, but we're not sailing from FFL so it might not be, we might be surprised, but I'm managing my expectations that we'll just have to do a lot of queuing and waiting.

I would think for Europe cruises, there will be a separate blue lane for Platinum/Elite members because the majority of people won’t have their medallion because they live in Europe. Cross your fingers and hoping that I’m correct. 

32 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I would think for Europe cruises, there will be a separate blue lane for Platinum/Elite members because the majority of people won’t have their medallion because they live in Europe. Cross your fingers and hoping that I’m correct. 

Hopefully I won’t have to stand around for a long time, as my balance is not good.

We are Platinum, but there was nothing like this when we sailed on Crown in 2017.

Edited by upwarduk

19 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, that’s the “check in” procedure now.  Don’t like it all, as we used to have a priority line to get inside of the terminal!

But, PCL..to simplify (lol) the process, changed it to only one line to get inside.

Then, once inside, check in has 3 lanes, blue, green and gray.

BUT…. after check in..Then you should have a priority lounge to sit in before boarding… boarding first Elites/suites and then platinum.  This part had not changed.

UNLESS…boarding had already started.  In that case, you’d just go OB.

Most of the US ports have implemented this new check in process.

As you well know, the priority line to enter the terminal doesn't mean much lately since the lines merge once inside the main doors. (At least in Florida)

The only advantage it really provides is getting a slightly better seat in the Elite lounge.  

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

We aren't sailing in Europe, we're sailing from San Francisco.  I will still be crossing my fingers that it is better in reality than it sounds 😁

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

As you well know, the priority line to enter the terminal doesn't mean much lately since the lines merge once inside the main doors. (At least in Florida)

The only advantage it really provides is getting a slightly better seat in the Elite lounge.  

I agree. That’s the problem.  It WAS such a smooth process when they had a priority line to get us inside.  Too bad they changed it.  That long line now is ridiculous.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I agree. That’s the problem.  It WAS such a smooth process when they had a priority line to get us inside.  Too bad they changed it.  That long line now is ridiculous.  

We have changed approaches over the last year or so and don’t even show up at the terminal until after 11:30 or so to avoid the lines

• Like 2

Princess is creating unnecessary congestion at check-in, so that people will cave into purchasing a package or pay for the shipping. 

This Sunday, check-in at San Pedro was a mess.  My friends got there at 11:00 am and the line stretched out to the sidewalk.  Thanks to their heads up, we showed up at 1:30 pm and breezed right through.  We were told at check-in that the ship would be late departing because there were passengers still at the airport waiting to be picked up because there were only 3 coaches reserved and the first set of transfer passengers weren't off loaded the buses until 1:00 pm due them having to stop check-in.  Those 3 coaches were expected to ferry between LAX and San Pedro to pick up hundreds of transfer passengers.

This new Green/Blue Lane Princess has implemented isn't efficient and ultimately frustrates passengers.  In addition, it favors passengers from the US and Canada.  Princess should just use the QR code generated in the boarding pass of the App as for it's intention, A BOARDING PASS FOR INITIAL ENTRY ON TO THE SHIP, and leave Medallions in passenger staterooms for collection after embarkation.  It will save them from having to maintain a fulfillment facility in Asia, save them on shipping costs (it's hard to believe that $10 covers the cost of shipping from so far away, even with a shipping contract), and save them on packaging costs (boxes/envelopes).  By not having to pick up Medallions at check-in (speaking for the Blue Lane), port agents will not have to waste time fetching/looking for Medallions.  Check-in will be a lot more efficient and the lines will move a lot faster.  (Note that Holland America and Carnival, which are under the CCL umbrella, don't hand out cruise cards at check-in; they are waiting for passengers in their cabin.)  Royal Caribbean can board their 6000 passenger mega-ships with minimal lines. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

The line to enter the terminal in Florida Terminal #2 (on Dec 18) extended from the entry doors to the other end of the building & back again (double line for people with & without medallions). I couldn't actually see the end of the line. When the doors opened it didn't make any difference which line you were in outside the terminal as both lines merged together in the building. Lots of large families.

By the time we reached the Elite/Suite lounge it was packed, although boarding was called rather quickly.

So much for an Elite priority line. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The line to enter the terminal in Florida Terminal #2 (on Dec 18) extended from the entry doors to the other end of the building & back again (double line for people with & without medallions). I couldn't actually see the end of the line. When the doors opened it didn't make any difference which line you were in outside the terminal as both lines merged together in the building. Lots of large families.

By the time we reached the Elite/Suite lounge it was packed, although boarding was called rather quickly.

So much for an Elite priority line. 

Ridiculous!  Never saw it that bad.  So, how is this an improvement for anyone, whether you buy the package or not.

What time did you arrive?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Ridiculous!  Never saw it that bad.  So, how is this an improvement for anyone, whether you buy the package or not.

What time did you arrive?

Some time slightly before 10 AM. 

When we got our cabin it wasn't ready so we just dropped off our bags & went to lunch before the crowds built up. They made some announcement about the cabins being ready at 1 PM.

Edited by MissP22

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Some time slightly before 10 AM. 

When we got our cabin it wasn't ready so we just dropped off our bags & went to lunch before the crowds built up. They made some announcement about the cabins being ready at 1 PM.

So, you must have been at the beginning of the line?  What time did you board?

38 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

So, you must have been at the beginning of the line?  What time did you board?

We were pretty close to the front of the line..... maybe 15 or 20 people ahead of us and when waiting they moved people forming two lines. One for those with medallions & one without. It makes no difference anyway as everyone entering the building merge into one line.

I suppose it's just for appearance to make people believe there's still a priority line. 😄

I thing it was around 10:30 or so when they started boarding Suites/Elites and handicapped. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Princess is creating unnecessary congestion at check-in, so that people will cave into purchasing a package or pay for the shipping. 

This Sunday, check-in at San Pedro was a mess.  My friends got there at 11:00 am and the line stretched out to the sidewalk.  Thanks to their heads up, we showed up at 1:30 pm and breezed right through.  We were told at check-in that the ship would be late departing because there were passengers still at the airport waiting to be picked up because there were only 3 coaches reserved and the first set of transfer passengers weren't off loaded the buses until 1:00 pm due them having to stop check-in.  Those 3 coaches were expected to ferry between LAX and San Pedro to pick up hundreds of transfer passengers.

This new Green/Blue Lane Princess has implemented isn't efficient and ultimately frustrates passengers.  In addition, it favors passengers from the US and Canada.  Princess should just use the QR code generated in the boarding pass of the App as for it's intention, A BOARDING PASS FOR INITIAL ENTRY ON TO THE SHIP, and leave Medallions in passenger staterooms for collection after embarkation.  It will save them from having to maintain a fulfillment facility in Asia, save them on shipping costs (it's hard to believe that $10 covers the cost of shipping from so far away, even with a shipping contract), and save them on packaging costs (boxes/envelopes).  By not having to pick up Medallions at check-in (speaking for the Blue Lane), port agents will not have to waste time fetching/looking for Medallions.  Check-in will be a lot more efficient and the lines will move a lot faster.  (Note that Holland America and Carnival, which are under the CCL umbrella, don't hand out cruise cards at check-in; they are waiting for passengers in their cabin.)  Royal Caribbean can board their 6000 passenger mega-ships with minimal lines. 

Problem with that: if you board and cabins aren't ready, how do you purchase drinks, etc. prior to going to your cabin? 🙂 (asking for a friend)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1