Formal nights on Volendam

mailmama

We're new to HA but not cruising. Can anyone tell me the days for the formal nights? Is there one or two nights on the 7 night Canada/New England cruises? I'd like to book a specialty dinner but not on the formal night. Thanks for info!

There are generally two "dressy" nights on a seven-night cruise.  They aren't called formal anymore because most people don't wear gowns and tuxes! (but if you want to...go for it!!)  The first is usually the first sea day and the second is the second sea day, but never the last night of the cruise.  If you tell us your itinerary/ship, I could be more specific.  I think you will enjoy HAL if you are normally a mainstream cruiser.  I like them!!

~Nancy

Thanks for your quick response! The itinerary is:  Boston (embarkation port), Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, PEI, At sea (day 6) Quebec City, Montreal. We are on the reverse order week 2 which ends in Boston.

54 minutes ago, mailmama said:

Thanks for your quick response! The itinerary is:  Boston (embarkation port), Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, PEI, At sea (day 6) Quebec City, Montreal. We are on the reverse order week 2 which ends in Boston.

Looked up your itinerary and here is my educated guess.

So your sea (river) day "for sure" and if there is another dressy night, I suggest Halifax with the fairly early all-aboard of 4pm.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:36 PM, mailmama said:

I thought you couldn’t do a round trip NE/Canada trip? PVSA

23 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

I think they meant they are going from Montreal to Boston (they started the thread by saying "7-day"). I don't know why the posted the itinerary in the opposite order as they are taking!

24 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

You can if the starting and ending points for the passenger are the same port, AND there is a stop at a foreign port. 

A round trip Boston to Quebec or Montreal, return to Boston has been done many times by many people. 

• Like 2

Didn't mean to add to anyone's confusion while answering my question. It is actually 2 (7 day) trips. Leaves Bos to Montreal. Then next cruise is Montreal to Bos.  So much to see and do for some members of the group traveling that have never been to these ports.  Thank you, X-elite, for the dress code policy info. We are booking the Pinnacle Grill for week 1 and not sure of week 2. Volendam doesn't have a lot of choices!!

We have done this cruise many times and we are doing it again in June. We get on the day you get off.

Every time we did it the formal nights were days 2 and 6. On the first leg formal nights will be Bar Harbor and Sea Day. On the second leg they will be Quebec and Halifax. That has been the schedule we have always had. We do B2B all the time.