Booking Singapore Accommodation

Presently looking at the Voco Orchard rd. Looks nice reviews are good. Used to be the Hilton. States it has refurbished rooms. 5 minutes from MRT and amongst all the shopping ( not sure thats a good thing,I hate shopping ) but I am sure the wife & daughter would love it. 😁

2 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Presently looking at the Voco Orchard rd. Looks nice reviews are good. Used to be the Hilton. States it has refurbished rooms. 5 minutes from MRT and amongst all the shopping ( not sure thats a good thing,I hate shopping ) but I am sure the wife & daughter would love it. 😁

John, if you like high end shops that's the place to be. Not an area we would book, but like everyone has said, the MRT can take you anywhere and once in your hotel room you could be anywhere.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cheznandy said:

John, if you like high end shops that's the place to be. Not an area we would book, but like everyone has said, the MRT can take you anywhere and once in your hotel room you could be anywhere.

No hate any shops high or low 😁 but got to keep the wife and daughter happy they will love it. I will stay in the hotel with my feet up and let them loose, as long as they bring food back 😂

• Haha 4

This is a bit off topic and I have really appreciated all the post on here but I wondered if any one has gone on the MRT to Marina bay south pier MRT and walked on the under cover path to the Cruise Centre ( 10 min )  Obviously the weather would play a big part in doing this. According to the web site it cost $3 from Orchard MRT.

3 hours ago, JohnGc said:

This is a bit off topic and I have really appreciated all the post on here but I wondered if any one has gone on the MRT to Marina bay south pier MRT and walked on the under cover path to the Cruise Centre ( 10 min ) 

Many times; but only on transit port days.

I would never consider doing this on embarkation day.

Taxis are cheap.

We were in transit about 7 months ago.

Shared a taxi with another couple from the ship to Kampong Glam / Little India area.

I think the fare was about SCD 14.

MRT wasn't worth the hassle for that amount.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Many of the big malls have great food courts so they're useful for more than shopping. Also they often link together so you can get a fair way along Orchard Rd without having to go out in the steamy heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JohnGc said:

This is a bit off topic and I have really appreciated all the post on here but I wondered if any one has gone on the MRT to Marina bay south pier MRT and walked on the under cover path to the Cruise Centre ( 10 min )  Obviously the weather would play a big part in doing this. According to the web site it cost $3 from Orchard MRT.

Yes, we stopped in Singapore on a repostioning cruise some years ago and used the MRT from the cruise centre. It is a fair walk to/from the MRT but it's flat and covered. It's very easy getting around Singapore on the MRT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess if you are trundling cases along from the MRT to the Cruise centre it would not be pleasant. Knowing my luck I would probably do a wheel bearing in or throw a wheel on my case. Bit too far to get RACQ out and I am certainly not going to take a tool kit with me or spare parts. Looks like I will have to use a Maxi taxi as I don't think a normal cab would be able to take all our luggage.

Edited by JohnGc
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

I guess if you are trundling cases along from the MRT to the Cruise centre it would not be pleasant. Knowing my luck I would probably do a wheel bearing in or throw a wheel on my case. Bit to far to get RACQ out and I am certainly not going to take a tool kit with me or spare parts. Looks like I will have to use a Maxi taxi as I don't think a normal cab would be able to take all our luggage.

Yes, I certainly wouldn't want to do that walk with suitcases but it is useful for day stops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Many of the big malls have great food courts so they're useful for more than shopping. Also they often link together so you can get a fair way along Orchard Rd without having to go out in the steamy heat.

Thanks Julie, thats good to know. We are spending 5 nights in Singapore so all this information from you guys is great.Still way off before we go but so enjoying this thread and good knowledge for other cruisers like my family and I that have not been to Singapore.😊

On 1/15/2024 at 11:12 AM, Bizziecruzer said:

Check out Furama City Hotel for club room rate. We're staying there in June.

We've stayed at the Furama City 3 times now. It is looking a wee bit dated.. but it's fine. We love the fact that it's located right next to the MRT and you can get anywhere from there on the MRT.. it's a short walk to Clark Quay etc.. it's very reasonably priced for buffet breakfast included.. and it comes with the complimentary all-day refreshments and evening alcohol drinks in a designated lounge.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

We've stayed at the Furama City 3 times now. It is looking a wee bit dated.. but it's fine. We love the fact that it's located right next to the MRT and you can get anywhere from there on the MRT.. it's a short walk to Clark Quay etc.. it's very reasonably priced for buffet breakfast included.. and it comes with the complimentary all-day refreshments and evening alcohol drinks in a designated lounge.   

Price, proximity to MRT and Club rooms is why we chose it. The complimentary inclusions are for Club rooms only, so if anyone's interested in that, make sure you book a Club room. We will be there end of June for a 4 night stopover.

• Like 2

If anyone is interested I found the following video posted on CC in 2019 by iLuvcruising2. Shows part of the Marina Bay Cruise Centre & the walk to the MRT station at Marina Bay South pier. You have to push replay on the video (save me editing again )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a5WI-KinVQ&t=336s

Edited by JohnGc

28 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

If anyone is interested I found the following video posted on CC in 2019 by iLuvcruising2. Shows part of the Marina Bay Cruise Centre & the walk to the MRT station at Marina Bay South pier. You have to push replay on the video (save me editing again )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a5WI-KinVQ&t=336s

Video playing from the start.😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a5WI-KinVQ

Since the discussion is broadening out a bit, I have a tip about departing for home.  Whether you get off the ship and fly straight home or stay a bit longer in Singapore, many of the flights to Oz leave at night so it can be a long long day.  Some people book day rooms or arrange late checkout and showers, but the option we took was to catch a cab to the airport Terminal 1, then walk straight through from the terminal to the Jewel shopping mall.  The BIG advantage of doing this is you can check in for many airlines and drop your luggage very early - up to 24 hours ahead, instead of having to wait until less than 3 hours before departure.  This frees up the day (and stops you having to look after your luggage) to either stay in Jewel or head off somewhere else and return later.   Here are the details https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/departing/early-checkin-online.html  

Our waiter on our cruise was heading home and getting off at 8.30 am.  He was worried about what he would do while waiting for his flight with Philipine Airlines late at night as he didn't want to pay for luggage storage.  As I had the same issue, I found this option.  This service is free and very well organised! 

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, lucymorgan said:

Since the discussion is broadening out a bit, I have a tip about departing for home.  Whether you get off the ship and fly straight home or stay a bit longer in Singapore, many of the flights to Oz leave at night so it can be a long long day.  Some people book day rooms or arrange late checkout and showers, but the option we took was to catch a cab to the airport Terminal 1, then walk straight through from the terminal to the Jewel shopping mall.  The BIG advantage of doing this is you can check in for many airlines and drop your luggage very early - up to 24 hours ahead, instead of having to wait until less than 3 hours before departure.  This frees up the day (and stops you having to look after your luggage) to either stay in Jewel or head off somewhere else and return later.   Here are the details https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/departing/early-checkin-online.html  

Our waiter on our cruise was heading home and getting off at 8.30 am.  He was worried about what he would do while waiting for his flight with Philipine Airlines late at night as he didn't want to pay for luggage storage.  As I had the same issue, I found this option.  This service is free and very well organised! 

I think its great that the discussion is broadening out, after all it is all about Singapore and cruising and I for one have got so much information from each and every post and it has been so interesting. Great tip for any one Flying back home.

• Like 1

Following on from tip about early checkin at the airport, if you do want to go elsewhere in Singapore for the day, you can go to terminal 2 or 3(can walk from Terminal 1 or catch a free skytrain then downstairs) to get to the airport MRT station.  We found this because we purchased the refundable Singapore Tourist Pass and this is where you get your refund (10 SGD per pass).  You can also buy the tourist pass at the same ticket office on arrival.  https://thesingaporetouristpass.com.sg/type-of-passes/     

• Like 1

One thing to think about having been to Singapore many times including one extended stay. Singapore is basically 32C, day and night, Summer and Winter. If you are going to get around Singapore you will use the brilliant underground railway system - but you will not be wanting to walk too far from your hotel to get to the airconditioned subway station (wherever it is ). So look for a hotel no more than 300 metres from a station. BTW - the food courts in train stations in Singapore are great - not as good as the hawker centres - but airconditioned!!!!

• Like 5

I'm not a big fan of Singapore, been 3 times now I think almost always as part of a tour group 'enjoying' a few days between boarding a cruise or getting off a cruise and going home.  It's not the heat or the humidity, I just find it to be a very sterile environment and the general populous tend to not want to interact.  No smiling at randoms here.  Anyway, we're off there again next month for 3 nights before taking the P & O Adventure to Sydney for a week. 

I actually broke 3 toes leaving a Radiance cabin in 2018 and I was very lucky to buy some Nurofen (all my pharmaceuticals had been packed and were already off the ship) at a chemist in the shopping centre next to the airport.  At first the pharmacist wanted me to take my shoe off to show him my foot, I explained that if I did that I would not be able to get it back on.  He nodded sagely and sold me some strong fast acting ibuprofen.  When I eventually got home I had purple, black and cobalt chipolatas where my toes used to be.

I really loved Singapore the first few times I went there, tagging along on Rolf's business trips but these days it's not quite as interesting. Too many big malls all selling the same stuff. Even the airport is full of the same shops. Of course there are still the interesting sights if you seek them out, and it is a nice place to chill out around a pool until the daily thunderstorm arrives.