Favorite Dishes

Clay Clayton

Just back from The Restaurant where we had one of our favorite entrees as well as a new (at least to us) appetizer. I don’t think we have a thread with our “not to be missed dishes onboard so figured I’d start one. Below our our favorites that make us rearrange our Chef’s Table reservations if they suddenly pop up in the Restaurant.  Hope others will add theirs!

Favorite Entrée

Sautéed Chilean Sea, Veal jus, potato mash, Cabernet braised cabbage

Favorite Appetizer 

Feke-grilled octopus in a coconut (spicy) sauce

• Like 4

Just off Star

Manfredis

New calamari, shrimp app.  Lightly fried, served with garlic aioli.

New grilled fish & seafood entree

Restaurant - Prime Rib - my preferred end cut, moist and not overdone -  best meal of voyage !

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2

The grilled octopus sounds delicious. Don't remember seeing it on our June cruise.

Manfredis- the pasta arrabiata,I believe it was a special and the lamb chops. Also the octopus carpaccio

Mamsens- the crab cake and the success cake.

World Cafe-muesli,small baguettes,scallops in shell,brown rice pudding

Living Room-pistachio buns which they did not have last time and they did not offer to make any for me like they did for Clay!

• Like 2

Lobster risotto and the strip steak in Manfredi’s.  Almond croissants in the Living Room.  There was a scallop appetizer on the WC we had that I could have eaten the whole meal of it was so good.  World Cafe makes a very good fried chicken, I normally don’t eat chicken fried, but I was all over this.  They also do a good Mac and cheese.

My husband’s all time favorite was the bone marrow risotto at Manfredis on Octantis.   That was may 2022…. He still talks about it whenever we go to any restaurant that possibly serves risotto… or bone marrow.

second favorite was the bones from Osso bucco in River cafe (buffet) on Viking Mississippi in November .

Can you tell he likes marrow?  He reminisces and smiles about these often.  (Note: not sure what the fact that he also likes haggis says about his palate… lol)

my favorite is anything on the Indes or California menus at CT…. Or pretty much any CT menu that we have had … probably 6 or so of the twenty something…

3 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Manfredis

New calamari, shrimp app.  Lightly fried, served with garlic aioli.

Sounds great -- was the aioli on the side???

As for the rest of the suggestions, thank you all!   I've started to keep a list in anticipation our first Oceans adventure since December, 2021. I'm looking forward to some change of menu.

@Clay Clayton -- great idea for a new thread! Thank you!                                      

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I get to try it for the first time next week!

I hope it is as good as I remember. At the time I thought it one of the best meals I have ever eaten. I fear it is a bit unfair to set your expectations that high. That's usually a recipe for disappointment! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

As for the rest of the suggestions, thank you all!   I've started to keep a list in anticipation our first Oceans adventure since December, 2021. I'm looking forward to some change of menu.

Yes, garlic aioli was on side in those little china cups.  A very nice sauce/dressing.

Sadly, new Manfredis menu on Star has omitted Osso Bucco and Lamb Chops.

On last night of voyage, the Restaurant served Osso Bucco.  I believe it was the same recipe as prior Manfredis.  Just delicious and falling off the bone, with a rich braising sauce, served over risotto.

Forgot to say another Manfredis favorite was the Viking Bistecca Rib Eye (off bone), formerly known as the Bistecca Fiorentina. Cut thick and very well seasoned and prepared to my preference.  The Grill Man/broiler chef, Joseph is a master.  Enjoyed it 3 times. He also worked Pool grill by day.

They also serve a Bistecca Rib Eye -- on the bone. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Actually the garlic aioli (not sure if you can call it an aioli) is not oil based, but potato based.  On the world cruise, I talked to the chef about it and he told me to come back and he’d give me the recipe.  I forgot.  But I do know it was posato based, not an oil emulsion.  Soooo good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

Actually the garlic aioli (not sure if you can call it an aioli) is not oil based

With potato???  As far as I am concerned, it can't be called aioli without both garlic and olive oil. It's false advertising.  

"Aioli is a garlic and olive oil sauce that originated in the Mediterranean. The exact origins of the sauce are disputed, said to be either from the south of France or eastern Spain regions. The name 'aioli' itself is a compound of the words 'garlic and oil' in Catalan and Provencal languages."  (found on chefin.com.au)

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Sadly, new Manfredis menu on Star has omitted Osso Bucco and Lamb Chops.

The Lamb Chops were gone when we sailed on the "Welcome Back"cruise in July, 2021 -- along with my favorite Mussels in Saffron Creme Sauce.  ☹️

With potato???  As far as I am concerned, it can't be called aioli without both garlic and olive oil. It's false advertising.  

"Aioli is a garlic and olive oil sauce that originated in the Mediterranean. The exact origins of the sauce are disputed, said to be either from the south of France or eastern Spain regions. The name 'aioli' itself is a compound of the words 'garlic and oil' in Catalan and Provencal languages."  (found on chefin.com.au)

Yes, I know.  We had this app on the World Cruise, and I was talking to the chef about it.  He was the one that told me it had a potato base.  There is likely olive oil in it, and there is definitely garlic (which is why I wanted the recipe).  IMO it was much better than other aiolis I have had, I wanted to take a bath in that stuff, it was so good.  Now I’m kicking myself I didn’t get the recipe at the time!  

With potato???  As far as I am concerned, it can't be called aioli without both garlic and olive oil. It's false advertising

Absolutely agree. Viking has some weird recipes. I once asked the chef about the Peking duck at Chef’s Table that wasn’t. He said he knew how to make Peking duck and to come back. He then made it perfectly for us !