Favorite Dishes

Clay Clayton

Just now, duquephart said:

Wasn't as impressd with the split pea soup as others - probably because I make the best by far. And "real onion rings?" - is there some other kind?

Yes there are unfortunately. When we sailed Silversea and Crystal they were serving refried frozen onion rings. I watched the cooks chopping onions and dredging in batter at the Viking Pool Grill. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Yes there are unfortunately. When we sailed Silversea and Crystal they were serving refried frozen onion rings. I watched the cooks chopping onions and dredging in batter at the Viking Pool Grill. 

Unfortunately at least at the moment on Sky, it appears to be impossible to get fresh made ones.  I’ve tried twice, the second time asking for hot ones, both times they came from a bowl that was sitting in the grill.  Next time I’m going to ask for some made fresh 🤞

4 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

IMG_3049.thumb.jpeg.5a0cac4d5695f38254ca8789fb6d737a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Gosh - with so many people bashing Viking food, you mean Viking actually does SOMETHING right?  and better than Crystal or Silversea?   Oh my!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We really enjoy the food on Viking Ocean however the best entrée thus far was the Scallop Pie that was on offer this past Christmas/New Year. Apparently a favorite in Tasmania. I'm still craving it!

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20240124_183050516.thumb.jpg.6d33451c8803a9f8efa3e7bf880c4860.jpgJust off Star.

Had Lamb Shank in The Restaurant.  Was one of the best meals on voyage. Braised  tender, falling off the bone, and seasoned to my liking, really a huge shank (from hind quarter --  larger and meatier than forequarter shank which has a longer, thinner leg bone).  Prepared just like Greek Style.

Exec Chef was Joseph Dabassious, a real pro.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

IMG_20240124_183050516.thumb.jpg.6d33451c8803a9f8efa3e7bf880c4860.jpgJust off Star.

Had Lamb Shank in The Restaurant.  Was one of the best meals on voyage. Braised  tender, falling off the bone, and seasoned to my liking, really a huge shank (from hind quarter --  larger and meatier than forequarter shank which has a longer, thinner leg bone).  Prepared just like Greek Style.

Exec Chef was Joseph Dabassious, a real pro.

This is DH’s favorite meal.  

• Like 1

I’m gonna add (or second?) Success Cake.  I had never liked it but had it yesterday from a cake that had been unrefridgerated for an hour or so. OMG, what a differences. Rather than being hard and gummy, it was soft and Lucious!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Best main: the shrimp and calamari appetizer (minus the shrimp - I'm allergic!) at Manfredi's 

Best side: the creamed spinach at The Restaurant - a total butter bomb, but so delicious

Best dessert: the lemon mousse at the World Café that looks like an actual lemon - so pretty, and not too sweet 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2024 at 1:04 AM, holomoana said:

We really enjoy the food on Viking Ocean however the best entrée thus far was the Scallop Pie that was on offer this past Christmas/New Year. Apparently a favorite in Tasmania. I'm still craving it!

Curried scallop pie was a mainstay when I was in Tasmania. Yum!

On 3/19/2024 at 11:39 PM, wolfie11 said:

Curried scallop pie was a mainstay when I was in Tasmania. Yum!

When we were in Hobart we hired a private guide who took us to a local bakery and recommended the Curried Scallop Hand Pie (he said it's a local favorite).  I loved it too!  Dang, now I want one! 😋

On 1/14/2024 at 6:21 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Absolutely agree. Viking has some weird recipes. I once asked the chef about the Peking duck at Chef’s Table that wasn’t. He said he knew how to make Peking duck and to come back. He then made it perfectly for us !  

I agree as well. The one that always get my blood boiling when I see it is “California couscous paella.”

I’ve lived in California for over 40 years. Never seen it. I was born in Spain and have been eating paella since I can remember. Never, absolutely never with couscous. Why not just make it with Spanish short grain rice?

BTW: I was on a princess cruse a month. Saw paella as I was walking through the buffet. Tried it. It was probably the best restaurant paella I’ve had outside of Spain. That good.

• Like 1

Speaking of Viking recipes, on our Rhine cruise 5 years ago, one evening's dinner menu listed "New England clam chowder"---being a born and bred and resident New Englander, I had to try this.  It was delicious, but did not remotely resemble any NE clam chowder I had ever tasted---a less tactful New Englander would have confronted the chef and asked him to "step outside"!!  (Never mind, he was built like a defensive end and would have obliterated anyone who did dare challenge him, haha!)

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Speaking of Viking recipes, on our Rhine cruise 5 years ago, one evening's dinner menu listed "New England clam chowder"---being a born and bred and resident New Englander, I had to try this.  It was delicious, but did not remotely resemble any NE clam chowder I had ever tasted---a less tactful New Englander would have confronted the chef and asked him to "step outside"!!  (Never mind, he was built like a defensive end and would have obliterated anyone who did dare challenge him, haha!)

Had the disaster of the New England clam chowder on the Star yesterday in the World Cafe.  It was watery and definitely separated. Didn't eat it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hutch1994 said:

Had the disaster of the New England clam chowder on the Star yesterday in the World Cafe.  It was watery and definitely separated. Didn't eat it.

Unfortunate---my Viking clam chowder was tasty, but the flavor profile was completely different from traditional NE clam chowders.

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Great example would be what Viking calls bisteca. Someone should be thrown in jail for that one.

Manfredi’s lasagna: “Hold my beer”image.thumb.jpeg.e422b4ad209e92c7b017e1308a9a48e8.jpeg

Worst excuse for lasagna I have ever tried to eat.