First Night Dining

lcand1923

My normal practice on a HAL cruise has been to book the Pinnacle for the first night of a cruise since I found the LIDO and the MDR a bit of dis-organized mess.  I wanted a nice, relaxing dinner.  

Since I haven’t taken a HAL cruise since before the pandemic, I’m wondering if things have changed.  My next cruise has Dining Reservations available and I’m wondering if I should follow normal practice or give the MDR a try on the first night?   Thanks!

Edited by lcand1923
  • Like 1

The process could be improved if HAL would take some added preventative steps:

1. Assign boarding times according to early vs late dining seating. Mixing everyone creates stress and disorganization.

2. Survey incoming cruisers in advance (before boarding) on any food allergies.

3. Find ways to solicit/resolve new (boarding) passenger special dining request.

a. Example allow incoming passengers to make request via Navigator 7 days in advance of boarding (ie. names/ room#s in party).

Trying to resolve dining issues on embarkation day creates long lines/& stress especially when dealing with rushing from flights, waiting for luggage, unpacking and making shore excursion reservations.  Passengers from that first encounter form opinions on their experience which is difficult to forget.

Presently, after the 1st day the issues tend to get resolved but the question is why can't the problems get resolved up front rather than later.

• Like 2

On my last cruise (mid-November 2023), I opted for Pinnacle Grill dining at 6:30.  As I walked past the MDR there was a long line of people waiting to get in.  There were only 2 other tables with diners in the PG.

Our only issue with this on our last cruise was that our luggage had not arrived by the time we needed to get to our Pinnacle reservations.  We went as we were but would have loved to change clothes and not wear our travel clothes!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

My normal practice on a HAL cruise has been to book the Pinnacle for the first night of a cruise since I found the LIDO and the MDR a bit of dis-organized mess.  I wanted a nice, relaxing dinner.  

Since I haven’t taken a HAL cruise since before the pandemic, I’m wondering if things have changed.  My next cruise has Dining Reservations available and I’m wondering if I should follow normal practice or give the MDR a try on the first night?   Thanks!

We do the same thing.

Our survival guide for first night in the MDR includes:

• locate our table (we are fixed sitting) while checking out the ship the afternoon of embarkation...that way, when we arrive on-time for dinner, we bypass the check in kiosk line and go right to our table. 
  • already have our Sommelier wine package picked out and the first night's wine ready.....with keycard ready for the waiter
  • reviewed the menu prior to sitting down so we can efficiently order
  • tell all the fellow passengers that you chat with during embarkation that they might want to go to steak night in the lido.....(LOL, I really do not do that)

These steps have made first night MDR much less of a hot mess.........but agree....it is the most chaotic evening in the MDR and if ever you are to go to a $$$ venue, this is the night.

Enjoy the journey.....and the dinner in the MDR.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:
  • tell all the fellow passengers that you chat with during embarkation that they might want to go to steak night in the lido.....(LOL, I really do not do that)

The promotion of the Lido Market Steak night on Embarkation Day has been very successful in relieving the MDR anytime dining lines.  It has caused the closure of the Canaletto Restaurant area on of the Lido Market on Embarkation Day to accommodate the huge crowd.

• Like 4