Sydney Cruise terminal customs

Our cruise leaves Sydney and goes to New Zealand and then returns to Sydney.  Our ship says it will dock at 6:30 am, I wondering how long to clear customs and if I can make a noon flight.  Thanks for any info.

Ordinarily, you should  be okay, and with a self debark you should make it to the airport by 9am.

Personally I would prefer a flight after 2pm or even the next day so there is no stress if the ship is delayed.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Cruiseskier said:

Our cruise leaves Sydney and goes to New Zealand and then returns to Sydney.  Our ship says it will dock at 6:30 am, I wondering how long to clear customs and if I can make a noon flight.  Thanks for any info.

Australia and NZ both have very strict biosecurity rules.  Being a cruise that just goes from the one country to the other, they won't be needing to check travellers with the fine tooth comb they would use for other international travellers, so it shouldn't take forever and a day to get through.  However, don't take any meat, dairy, fruit, bananas, veges or the like from the ship as snacks as these will be discovered by the biosecurity sniffer dogs and you'll be hauled aside.  Also, make sure you think for a second when completing your custom declaration card, just to make sure you complete it correctly, and declare anything you're not sure about. Better to declare, possibly lose the item but likely find it's okay, than face a hefty fine.

Having said all that, if the worst comes to the worst and the ship arrives late for goodness knows what reason, or roads/rail is held up because of an untimely incident, rebooking your flights will be an expensive exercise for you. Can you get one the next day, or are they not that frequent? 

Chances are, with everything going to plan, you should make it. Also be aware that the US being the US, they have longer check-in times at the airport and more onerous checking of passengers - all time-consuming.

It would be a stressful gamble 🛩

• Like 2

Clearing customs is quick. From gangway to outside the terminal will normally take around 15 minutes, depending on the number of passengers queued-up in the atrium waiting for the ship to be cleared. First disembark is usually around 7:30am, which gives enough time to get to the airport by 9am.

As long as the ship arrives on time, it is doable. Local advice from the cruise lines is to book international flights from 2pm.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cruiseskier said:

What terminal, what ship. Is your cruise overnighting in NZ……. If so you will be doing face to face entry back into Aust which will take longer than normal. Self assist debark is also quicker than traditional luggage collection so you may want to  consider that providing you are able.

The ship is the Celebrity Edge and it would be next December.  No overnights in New Zealand.  I am not sure which terminal.  I was planning on self assist and jumping in a taxi.  Any estimates on taxi rates from terminal to airport would be helpful.  Thanks for all the information provided.

5 minutes ago, Cruiseskier said:

The ship is the Celebrity Edge and it would be next December.  No overnights in New Zealand.  I am not sure which terminal.  I was planning on self assist and jumping in a taxi.  Any estimates on taxi rates from terminal to airport would be helpful.  Thanks for all the information provided.

Then you will be at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, right in Circular Quay between the Opera House and the bridge. Taxis can be found right outside the terminal or the train station is a 5 minute walk

Train from Circular Quay to International terminal is less than 10 minute flat walk from the dock and is quicker and cheaper than a cab so long as you can manage your luggage. I've done that many times.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Train from Circular Quay to International terminal is less than 10 minute flat walk from the dock and is quicker and cheaper than a cab so long as you can manage your luggage. I've done that many times.

Cheaper for 1 or 2 people, maybe not for a whole family.  Depends on how many are in the group.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Likewise.

You can use you Credit card to tap on. Approx cost per person is $20. With luggage and for ease, the cab or uber may be a better option, especially for non locals.

• Like 2

We will be on the Celebrity Edge in March and need to catch a domestic flight out from Sydney. How long would a taxi ride be from OPT to the airport, this would be on a Sunday? We have an11:00am flight, it's the only direct flight that day. Normally we would not have cut it so close.

1 minute ago, daydreamer16 said:

We will be on the Celebrity Edge in March and need to catch a domestic flight out from Sydney. How long would a taxi ride be from OPT to the airport, this would be on a Sunday? We have an11:00am flight, it's the only direct flight that day. Normally we would not have cut it so close.

As long as there isn't a line-up for taxis, once you leave the terminal it should be around 30 minutes max to the airport. Depending on your itinerary, the time it takes to get through immigration will vary greatly.

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

As long as there isn't a line-up for taxis, once you leave the terminal it should be around 30 minutes max to the airport. Depending on your itinerary, the time it takes to get through immigration will vary greatly.

Thank you, we plan to walk off with our luggage & hope to be one of the first off!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

Thank you, we plan to walk off with our luggage & hope to be one of the first off!

When you walk out of OPT turn left and go up in elevator to the top concourse where taxi rank is .

• Thanks 1

Questions please regarding disembarking following an overnight at OPT.

Is immigration performed on 1st day ( International arrival )?

Is customs performed on 2nd day ?

Depending on above answers what time should someone expect to be the earliest time when one is able to disembark on the 2nd day ?

Slight complication mentioned for clarity.

The ship moves from Athol Buoy to OPT early evening day 1.

Any input from @gbenjo ?

Edited by Tranquility Base

7 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Questions please regarding disembarking following an overnight at OPT.

Is immigration performed on 1st day ( International arrival )?

Is customs performed on 2nd day ?

Depending on above answers what time should someone expect to be the earliest time when one is able to disembark on the 2nd day ?

Slight complication mentioned for clarity.

The ship moves from Athol Buoy to OPT early evening day 1.

Any input from @gbenjo ?

Typically,  immigration (ABF) is done on the 2nd day at the terminal, Athol Buoy, day 1, is treated as a “port of call” . Self assisted walk offs would start around 6:30am depending on what ship/ cruise line and also where the cruise originated. ie if the cruise started in another country then face to passport would be needed and would take a longer time to clear.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:02 PM, Cruiseskier said:

Both cruise ports are about the same distance from the airport, about 20-30 minutes.  Uber costs about $35-$50 AUD.  Taxis and Uber in Sydney are usually pretty close to each other.

You should be through customs and off the ship by 9:00 or 9:30.  The biggest issue, to me, is the airport.  It's taken me up to 2 hours to check in and get through security, and that's using the business class lines.  I like to avoid stress during my holidays, so I wouldn't be trying to do what you are proposing.  I think there's a later United flight to SFO, around 2pm.  You might want to look into that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sciencewonk said:

It's taken me up to 2 hours to check in and get through security, and that's using the business class lines.

Does SYD have the new CT technology at security ?

This is now installed in AKL, WLG, CHC in NZ.

This means electronics such as Laptops & Tablets and also liquids, aerosols & gels can remain in the carry on bags.

This should help speed up the process.

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

This means electronics such as Laptops & Tablets and also liquids, aerosols & gels can remain in the carry on bags.

The last time I flew (Nov 2023), Electronics and liquids stayed in the bag for domestic flights but not for international flights.  I don't know if this was a technology thing or a difference in security regulations.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:12 AM, Tranquility Base said:

I don't know about Sydney, but Canberra has the new CT technology - remarkably, it makes the scanning process even slower.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:34 AM, Tranquility Base said:

How so ?

I have found most of the time in the queue for carry on bag screening is due to people having to take items out before the bags go through the scanner ?

The loading/unloading process is marginally faster.  The scan process itself is slower, and the conveyor system for handling the bags after they go through the scanner seems to take forever.  They've just shifted the delay to another part of the system, and made it 3x as long.

In the past you'd put your bag(s) on the conveyor belt, step through the metal detector, and your bag would be waiting for you on the other side.  Now you put it on the conveyor, wait to spread your arms & legs for the x-ray machine, then wait another 3-5 minutes on the other side for your bag(s) to emerge.

Bags come out of the scanner, and get diverted into 1 of 2 tracks - the fast lane, and the lane for review.  Except that very few bags ever seem to go into the fast lane, everything goes into the review lane.  The review lane moves very slowly, because the operator has to review every image manually, before handing you back your bag.  It's even worse if someone's bag contents need checking manually (having already been scanned & reviewed on screen).

I have no doubt that the new scanners detect things that the old x-ray machines did not, and travel is more secure as a result... but they move slower than the average glacier.

Edited by Vader1111
  • Thanks 1

From my perspective; don't even think about it!  Unless of course you're a stress junkie.  I can't stand the pressure and always arrive at least one day before departure and fly home at least one day after disembarkation.  Why not spend a couple of days in Sydney and make your way leisurely to the airport in due course?  Maybe even hire a car and drive to Canberra, our Nation's Capital is amongst the most interesting cities to visit.  Having said this, I understand that I am ignorant of your personal circumstances.  

• Like 4