Daily internet prices to increase!

dweeb

I was going to wait and purchase internet for the length of the voyage (14 nights) once I was on board in March because I don’t see how to get the platinum 50% discount. Now I would like to just lock it in and forget about it. Could someone please explain how that discount is applied?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I was going to wait and purchase internet for the length of the voyage (14 nights) once I was on board in March because I don’t see how to get the platinum 50% discount. Now I would like to just lock it in and forget about it. Could someone please explain how that discount is applied?

The discount,, if not being applied T time of purchase, is refunded aboard as OBC. You'll have to go to Guest Services or do a Crew Chat to get it applied. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

An...interesting...way to look at it.

However, it is still a 66% increase...

True. But if something is $1 and increases to $2, that's a 100% increase but it's still only $2. 

What I find interesting is that the old prices meant it wasn't cheaper to get the 4-device package instead of two 1-device packages but now it is. I guess I better update my spreadsheet! 😄 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reedprincess said:

The discount,, if not being applied T time of purchase, is refunded aboard as OBC. You'll have to go to Guest Services or do a Crew Chat to get it applied. 

Thank you.  To recap, I will pay $210 now, then request the $105 discount be refunded as OBC through GS or Crew Chat once I am on board?  You were very clear, thank you, I believe I understand correctly. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

True. But if something is $1 and increases to $2, that's a 100% increase but it's still only $2.

Yeah, I get that...but if something is 14.99 and it increases to 24.99...well, we're not talking about $2...

ETA: To be clear, I don't really have a horse in this race...I always get the package...but I feel for the standard folks...

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I would just call and take care of it that way. 

The "new" app offers me the elite discount... (and still the old price - cruising in February...) but it looks like I can only order it for myself, not for my wife.  If anyone figures out how to order for the rest of your party, please let me know. 

I guess I can get my wife to install the new app and see what happens... but that will probably end up wasting a bunch of time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I would just call and take care of it that way. 

The last time I called them, two weeks ago, the rep tried to talk me into upgrading to premium at a cost of $2,240.00 for fourteen days. I told him three times it makes no sense because we are non-drinkers, but he just kept reading the script. I will do almost anything to avoid calling again!  I just used the app and paid full price. 

Edited to add:  I really appreciate all of the good info that is shared on Cruise Critic, thank you all. 

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Conclusions:

1.  This means more marketing hype to purchase packages.

2.  Another step leading to the next package cost increase.

Exactly!
That is exactly my thought after reading the OP (thanks OP btw).

it’s refreshing knowing someone in the world thinks like I do👍😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is only the beginning of price increases across the board.  Holland America just increased their daily gratuities, With the ships sailing full they can do pretty much anything.  I still think cruising gives me a good value for my vacation dollars.  Just wish they would work on the quality of their food in MDR and in buffet.  

For guests occupying suites, the daily gratuity charge will see an increase to US$19, marking a 9% rise from the previous rate of US$17.50. Non-suite accommodations will experience a 6% adjustment, with daily rates moving from US$16 to US$17 effective February 1st on Holland America.

Edited by candy4040

18 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The last time I called them, two weeks ago, the rep tried to talk me into upgrading to premium at a cost of $2,240.00 for fourteen days. I told him three times it makes no sense because we are non-drinkers, but he just kept reading the script. I will do almost anything to avoid calling again!  I just used the app and paid full price. 

Edited to add:  I really appreciate all of the good info that is shared on Cruise Critic, thank you all. 

I called the Ocean Navigator department to have them take care of something. I was then asked if I would like to be upgraded to Princess Premier for my birthday. I then asked if Princess was going to do that for me but as you can guess I was told no and it would only cost me $20 more per day. My response was… “So I need to purchase my own birthday present? No, thank you”. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

30 minutes ago, Digisailor said:

The "new" app offers me the elite discount... (and still the old price - cruising in February...) but it looks like I can only order it for myself, not for my wife.  If anyone figures out how to order for the rest of your party, please let me know. 

I guess I can get my wife to install the new app and see what happens... but that will probably end up wasting a bunch of time. 

Update:  My wife installed the "new app"... and couldn't find her login... so we're waiting to get that reset I guess... we tried logging her into the new app through the booking number - and it offered *Her* the old price... but without the elite discount.  Go figure! 

• Like 1

I expected this. I always prepay crew appreciation, wifi, purchase case of water right after I book cruise. These are refunded to my credit card IF I end up cancelling the cruise.

• Like 4

Has anyone received confirmation from Princess that this information is true? 🤔 

I may do without internet on my Alaska cruise and just pop into the dockside internet cafes. They will get LESS money from me instead of more. 😉

Greedy "buzzards!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

If you don't get it at time of purchase, make the request on board from IT Mgr or Guest Services.  You will be credited the amount to onboard account.  It is Refundable OBC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reedprincess said:

At least it is Refundable OBC.

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

At least it is Refundable OBC.

I fully intended to buy a one-device package at the 50% rate for Platinum. Now I don't know.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not much money but it pisses me off. 😬

Edited by Teechur
Added a line.
  • Like 3

We were going to purchase a 1 device WIFI package at $15 per day once we were onboard our Feb 5 cruise on the Sapphire. No discount for us as this is only our 3rd cruise with Princess. We would have been able to pay for it with OBC but now I guess we’ll be better off using a CC to buy it tomorrow in the app. After all, saving $10 a day for a 14 day cruise ain’t chicken feed!

DW was already not a happy camper because she feels that they charge too much for internet! I guess we’ll find other things to spend that OBC on….

Well played Princess! This won’t be forgotten soon!

• Like 2

BTW, as others have already asked, could the OP give us a hint or two about the “other site” that they saw this news so we can validate the news before we pre purchase a wifi package with our CC instead of OBC? It would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 4