internet - one account two devices?

ghstudio

I understand that if we have one internet plan with two devices, and my wife uses one, I the other and we logoff from one device before connecting to another, there should be no conflict...unless one of us forgets to logoff..

In the likely chance that my wife and I are both using our laptops and I decide to wander around the ship and leave forgetting to log off my laptop....and I try to logon from my phone...I'll get a message something like "you have used up all my devices....would I like to disconnect one" (at least that's the way they have done it on other ships).  Do I get to choose which one to log off or does the system just pick one?  If I do get to choose, how does the system identify the connected devices so I can disconnect the right one?

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

We had the HIA package with internet access.  My wife had a connection and I had a connection.  They were handled separately.  In your scenario, you would only be able to log off your laptop.  I don't think you, or your wife, would be able to run his/her laptop and phone simultaneously.

When you’re attempting to connect the excess device, the message will ask you if you want to continue to activate the device as it will disconnect the existing device. 

so you can choose the device insofar as forcing the other device(s) to log off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, snowlight said:

When you’re attempting to connect the excess device, the message will ask you if you want to continue to activate the device as it will disconnect the existing device. 

so you can choose the device insofar as forcing the other device(s) to log off.

How are the devices identified....so I can decide which to log off?

10 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

We had the HIA package with internet access.  My wife had a connection and I had a connection.  They were handled separately.  In your scenario, you would only be able to log off your laptop.  I don't think you, or your wife, would be able to run his/her laptop and phone simultaneously.

I'm not trying to run three devices.....I want to run two devices at a time.  HIA is different...each person has their own account.  In my case, it would be one account....shared by two people.

5 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I'm not trying to run three devices.....I want to run two devices at a time.  HIA is different...each person has their own account.  In my case, it would be one account....shared by two people.

I was a little unclear from your post.  That's why I started with the fact that we had HIA.  Sorry I couldn't help.

16 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

15 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Each time I went on Navigator on my other device - it immediately asked me to log off the other.  I could do it on the device I was on.  Easy.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

Each time I went on Navigator on my other device - it immediately asked me to log off the other.  I could do it on the device I was on.  Easy.

This is correct.  It is easy to log off the first (already logged on) device from the network and use the second (trying to log on) device.   The only conflict may be if you don't communicate with each other 😉

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ghstudio said:

You can't run two devices on one account at the same time. That's why it prompts you to log off the first device when you try to log on the second. So there wouldn't be two devices already on when you try to log on with the third. 

I'm not sure if you would have to buy two separate accounts or pay extra to use two devices at the same time on one account. But you can't buy one account and use multiple devices simultaneously.

3 hours ago, ghstudio said:

MAC address. If you have one logged on, and then try to log in a second one, the system will kick off the first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

You can't run two devices on one account at the same time.

I most definitely can. I have been using a travel router for more than a decade. One needs some networking skills, but it's totally do-able.

Our normal load is 6 devices. A laptop, two tablets, two phones, and a Kindle. We've gone as high as 23 downstream clients.

If you don't want to mess with the roll your own network stuff, buy the 4 device plan.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, POA1 said:

I most definitely can. I have been using a travel router for more than a decade. One needs some networking skills, but it's totally do-able.

Bought the travel router, had explicit directions from a guy we met on our one RCCL cruise (where he "taught" an unofficial class!) -- tried to activate on the old internet, premium. Zilch. Just above our skill level. Now we get HIA and keep to our own!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Bought the travel router, had explicit directions from a guy we met on our one RCCL cruise (where he "taught" an unofficial class!) -- tried to activate on the old internet, premium. Zilch. Just above our skill level. Now we get HIA and keep to our own!

I've used a travel router on many cruises.  It's usability is dependent on the wifi system installed on the ship.  It's not a "plug and play" solution....but with some networking skill, it does allow two or more connections at the same time as long as everyone is within range of the router.  It doesn't help if one is walking around the ship and the other is in the cabin.  It's most useful if you buy one package with one device....and then share the connection in your cabin.

• Like 1

We've had this happen when travelling with our son - we get two accounts for the first two passengers in the cabin with HIA and don't want to pay for him to get a third account. If one tries to log in when another account is active then the system will ask if you wish to log off the connected device in order to log in. When the other user is a teenager you see that message every time you want to use your device since he is always on. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, lupaglupa said:

We've had this happen when travelling with our son - we get two accounts for the first two passengers in the cabin with HIA and don't want to pay for him to get a third account. If one tries to log in when another account is active then the system will ask if you wish to log off the connected device in order to log in. When the other user is a teenager you see that message every time you want to use your device since he is always on. 

Now, there's a way to convince him to reduce his screen time. Keep logging him off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Now, there's a way to convince him to reduce his screen time. Keep logging him off!

It's usually only bad the first day. Then he gets a crowd of friends and spends his time with them, not online. 

If your phone supports it, you can also use the hotspot on your phone to share the internet with more devices.  I have Samsung S21+ and the hotspot will share wifi internet.

51 minutes ago, cruisn71 said:

If your phone supports it, you can also use the hotspot on your phone to share the internet with more devices.  I have Samsung S21+ and the hotspot will share wifi internet.

S21FE doesn't do it.  It will share a data connection to other devices over wifi, but it will not share a wifi connection.

• Like 1

The only other thing I have to say , with one account and two devices(actually we usually have one account, 4 devices) is that the Navigator app on all the devices has to be set in the name of the person buying the internet.  Then it is easy for any device  to “bump” any other device that is using it.  Another thing is that as two devices cannot be on the internet at the same time, they can’t sync, so a photo on your phone won’t show up on your iPad until you get home!

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

The only other thing I have to say , with one account and two devices(actually we usually have one account, 4 devices) is that the Navigator app on all the devices has to be set in the name of the person buying the internet.  Then it is easy for any device  to “bump” any other device that is using it.  Another thing is that as two devices cannot be on the internet at the same time, they can’t sync, so a photo on your phone won’t show up on your iPad until you get home!

If there's a photo you really want to share or move, email it to yourself. Or use cloud storage that both devices can access. 

33 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If there's a photo you really want to share or move, email it to yourself. Or use cloud storage that both devices can access. 

Or use airdrop, I guess…

I only mentioned it because my Fitbit had a really hard time changing time!  It couldn’t sync, either.  

Edited by Vict0riann

16 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Or use airdrop, I guess…

I only mentioned it because my Fitbit had a really hard time changing time!  It couldn’t sync, either.  

There was a lot of confusion with cell phones and time change on my Norway cruise this fall. Our first sea day out of Southampton was the end of summer time in UK and Europe. BUT we were moving to an earlier time zone, so the ship did not move clocks back, since we'd only have to change them forward again when we got to Norway. (As Bullwinkle used to say, I am soooo confused!)

Some people's phones reset automatically, some didn't. Some watches reset, some didn't. One woman at our table said her watch reset but her phone didn't. 

This confuses me… so we have HIA with premium wifi.

if my husband wants to use his iPad at night while watching tv, and I want to use mine, I’m thinking that NO, we both can’t at the same time, is that correct?

would it be better for us to purchase the 4 device ahead of time, or on the ship?

7 day inside passage

5 minutes ago, honeymooners10 said:

This confuses me… so we have HIA with premium wifi.

if my husband wants to use his iPad at night while watching tv, and I want to use mine, I’m thinking that NO, we both can’t at the same time, is that correct?

would it be better for us to purchase the 4 device ahead of time, or on the ship?

7 day inside passage

If you have HIA, you EACH have HIA. Both get their own wifi account. No need for the multi device purchase. 

• Like 2