Help Me Decide: Alaska

1 minute ago, v3cruiser said:

We are doing southbound on Jewel in June. Airfare was challenging. Bought about a month after it posted. Alaska air to anchorage and united back home.  Had to stay a night in vancouver after cruise to get a decent flight home. We liked the longer port times. We are staying three nights in seward prior to cruise. booked our lodge over a year out. Only big mistake i have made is we are flying into anchorage late, approx 8pm but have to get up pretty early next day to get on train to seward. If I had to do it again id stay two nights in anchorage or try to get a flight that got into anchorage a little earlier. I could have but it was much pricier. We sailed on Jewel in early 2023 and it was great. 

30 minutes ago, ihate2cruise said:

Unfortunately flights from/to Upstate NY to/from Alaska/BC have 2 stops with plenty (sometimes too much layover time. I did find a few shorter ones nut they were to short 30-45 min layovers(no thanks)

I'm going to look at the hack someone mentioned above.

I offered the hack info.  If you have not already booked Seward to Vancouver, consider the 5/13 Vancouver to Seward.  On Delta, if you did the following, you could get your airfare for about $1000 pp total.  And, the layovers are limited to DTW only, I believe.

Same day multi city. 5/11. ALB to SEA, SEA to YVR. Two nights in Vancouver. $550

Multi city. 5/20  ANC to SEA overnight in SEA,  5/21. SEA to ALB $500

just a consideration.  Good luck!

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

I offered the hack info.  If you have not already booked Seward to Vancouver, consider the 5/13 Vancouver to Seward.  On Delta, if you did the following, you could get your airfare for about $1000 pp total.  And, the layovers are limited to DTW only, I believe.

Same day multi city. 5/11. ALB to SEA, SEA to YVR. Two nights in Vancouver. $550

Multi city. 5/20  ANC to SEA overnight in SEA,  5/21. SEA to ALB $500

just a consideration.  Good luck!

Thank you for doing that "legwork" I will take a look and see what I can come up with 5/20 -27 out of Seward. The reason we are looking at that one is d/t my birthday being on the 23rd.

43 minutes ago, ihate2cruise said:

Thank you for doing that "legwork" I will take a look and see what I can come up with 5/20 -27 out of Seward. The reason we are looking at that one is d/t my birthday being on the 23rd.

Awwh…early Happy Birthday 🎂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tundra1 said:

My recommendation would be to fly into Anchorage, stay downtown, take the downtown trolley tour, get a nice meal at one of the Breweries,  then take the train in the morning to Seward and spend a second night there.  You can take a Kenai Fjords tour when you arrive in Seward, and go to the Sea Life center the next morning before boarding the ship.  

Once you get to Vancouver, plan on staying there for a night or two and then taking the train to Seattle and flying out of SeaTak.  Both Vancouver and Seattle are really great cities and worth spending some time there, so you can figure out if you want to spend time in Seattle also.  

Ditto what tundra1 stated.  Definitely book a Kenai Fjords tour on Major Marine tours or Kenai Fjords tour in Seward before the cruise. You will likely see whales and glaciers along with more wild life than you will probably see on the cruise. 

While you might be concerned about the early time of the train from Anchorage to Seward, your body will likely still be on Eastern time. 

Agree about spending time exploring the beautiful city of Vancouver and wish Seattle was as beautiful as it was before 2020. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, julig22 said:

I find that quite odd, NCL guidelines are a max of 1 layover for domestic flights. There's got to be more to that story.

There must be exceptions when flying from smaller airports, especially when trying to get to ANC, from which there are limited gateways from the lower 48.  The family's TA was unable to get NCL to budge on that routing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

There must be exceptions when flying from smaller airports, especially when trying to get to ANC, from which there are limited gateways from the lower 48.  The family's TA was unable to get NCL to budge on that routing.

I fly from a small airport, so first flight is almost always to a larger hub. And then usually a direct flight. Small airport has nearly always worked in my favor. The only time my NCL flights didn't conform to their guidelines was when they had to rebook a week before my cruise, due to flight cancellations because of an airline strike.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 6:20 PM, Planmaam said:

n fact I have told my daughter I wanted to have my ashes scattered there after I pass,  but then realized it is probably prohibited since it's a  National Park. So I told her I just want her to go there.

You'll be happily surprised that most national parks allow you to scatter ashes. In some cases a permit is necessary. Specific to Glacier Bay National Park, your loved ones may sprinkle you wherever they would like.

image.png.43e7e56eeb649f6cf7de3ce459071a11.png

Source: Pg. 7, https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=12&projectID=114307&documentID=128431, then click on 2023 Final GLBA Compendium

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 12:32 PM, ihate2cruise said:

Thank you for your thoughts and sharing your experiences. I think we are leaning towards the Jewel Seward-Vancouver route. The flights are going to be brutal from Upstate NY, there is just no way to get around that, there are no non-stop flights, sadly.

Any tips for where to stay and what not to miss in Anchorage or Seward as we will be flying in 2 days early to help get acclimated before the cruise, it would be much appreciated.

We did the Jewel b2b and loved it.  On the turnaround day in Seward we booked the excursion through Major Marine for 6 hours.  We saw so much wildlife and it was a great day.  They are located near the pier and may have transportation to their office a few blocks away.  Loved the Jewel with the observation lounge to be able to see all of the scenery when we didn't want to be in our stateroom.  Enjoy!

We did the Jewel SB Seward to Vancouver in July of 2022. The sailaway in the evening from Seward is beautiful. And the inside passage part of the trip is absolutely stunning.  My favorite excrusion was the White Pass rail in Skagway.  Getting up close to Hubbard glacier is so impressive, I got lucky and got to see the glacier calve. Another good reason to do this trip on the smaller Jewel ship. The Gold Dome train ride from Anchorage to Seward is worth every penny.  If you choose to go to Seward the day you sail, if by train, they will transfer your luggage to the ship for you. Super handy.  The coast line of Alaska from a cruise ship is beyond impressive.  Enjoy!

In Anchorage, we stayed at the Hotel Captain Cook.  It's a historic landmark hotel.  In Seward, book as early as you can for the Harbor 360 or Seward Gateway Hotel.  We waited too long and stayed at the Best Western in Seward which was very overpriced for what it was.  The people that own Harbor 360 and Gateway Hotels also own Major Marine which have Kenai Fjords cruises.

You may be able to get a price reduction.

Edited by Crazy planning mom

1 minute ago, Crazy planning mom said:

In Anchorage, we stayed at the Hotel Captain Cook.  It's a historic landmark hotel.  In Seward, book as early as you can for the Harbor 360 or Seward Gateway Hotel.  We waited too long and stayed at the Best Western in Seward which was very overpriced for what it was.

Yes, good advice, book your hotel early.  If you book through a 3rd party site, it should be fully refundable.  And the Alaska train also sells out, if you are planning for that.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You'll be happily surprised that most national parks allow you to scatter ashes. In some cases a permit is necessary. Specific to Glacier Bay National Park, your loved ones may sprinkle you wherever they would like.

Source: Pg. 7, https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=12&projectID=114307&documentID=128431, then click on 2023 Final GLBA Compendium

What a refreshing (and rare) example of actual common sense overlapping government!😎

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kdmbluerzr said:

We did the Jewel SB Seward to Vancouver in July of 2022. The sailaway in the evening from Seward is beautiful. And the inside passage part of the trip is absolutely stunning.  My favorite excrusion was the White Pass rail in Skagway.  Getting up close to Hubbard glacier is so impressive, I got lucky and got to see the glacier calve. Another good reason to do this trip on the smaller Jewel ship. The Gold Dome train ride from Anchorage to Seward is worth every penny.  If you choose to go to Seward the day you sail, if by train, they will transfer your luggage to the ship for you. Super handy.  The coast line of Alaska from a cruise ship is beyond impressive.  Enjoy!

Would you be able to assist me with the specific site for "The Gold Dome" train. I this correct?

image.thumb.png.b87b1cfabd586d0114f8946ab5397a0a.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ihate2cruise said:

Would you be able to assist me with the specific site for "The Gold Dome" train. I this correct?

That looks correct to me. IIRC, Goldstar has assigned seats in a dome car with a bar at the rear of the car (for purchase) and food for sale below.

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I would at least speak to an officer on the ship, they stress that they are fined if anything goes overboard to the point of losing their rights to the park.

10 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I would at least speak to an officer on the ship, they stress that they are fined if anything goes overboard to the point of losing their rights to the park.

Oooop! Yes, of course. This isn't for those traveling via vessel. I'm not as familiar with cruise ship regulations, though I believe some cruise lines allow you to do this (I highly doubt they'd allow it in Glacier Bay). But, on land, it's totally permissible. That's what the superintendent's compendium is speaking to.

Good call out though. I never even thought someone would try to do this by cruise ship.

16 hours ago, ihate2cruise said:

Yes. And you do want to book it through the Alaska Railroad website. The Goldstar class category is what I was referring to. In the Goldstar class, if you take the early morning departure, there is a nice breakfast served that is included in this price, as well as a couple of spirited breakfast beverages, mimosa or bloody mary, etc. if you like this sort of breakfast beverage. It's a great way to make the trip from Anchorage to Seward. Scenary is spectacular. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdmbluerzr said:

In the Goldstar class, if you take the early morning departure, there is a nice breakfast served that is included in this price, as well as a couple of spirited breakfast beverages, mimosa or bloody mary, etc. if you like this sort of breakfast beverage. It's a great way to make the trip from Anchorage to Seward. Scenary is spectacular. 

We passed on the spirited breakfast beverage during breakfast and used our drink coupons for rum and cokes later on during the trip!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 2:36 AM, ihate2cruise said:

Looking for feedback from those that have cruised to these destinations pros/cons and not to be missed excursions.

Appreciate your time.

To offer additional feedback..... we've done 3 Alaska cruises (we live in Seattle and all 3 were "last minute).  I could easily do an Alaskan cruise every year (maybe twice!).

To add to the excellent suggestions, I would recommend these excursions:

a) Yes a whale watch boat tour in Juneau While you will probably see a whale or two from the big cruise ship, just about any boat that takes you out in Juneau will offer more up close viewing.  Some days are better than others but still fun. These tours often combine with a visit to Mendenhall Glacier, which is receding, but still a great one-hour visit (and excellent visitor center). 

b) We loved the helicopter ride to a glacier from Skagway.  And I'd never been on a helicopter.  They prepare you with safety videos, outer-wear and glacier boots.  You're on the glacier about 45 minutes .... very interesting and well organized.

c) We also enjoyed the small float plane to fly over the Misty Fjords from Ketchican.

On other visits we did:

Train ride in Skagway --beautiful, the only thing it's the same scenery going up as down.  So a nice nap down.  The town itself is pretty much just 30+ jewelry shops (not kidding) owned by the cruise lines.

Hike (more of a nature walk) and river float in Skagway -- that was fun, very easy activity day.

In Ketchican a very fun e-bike and lite hike -- particularly enjoyable when dozens of salmon are hopping upstream, and eagles everywhere.  But it depends on time of summer.

I also heartily vote for any cruise that will go to Glacier Bay, you'll get your "glacier money's worth."  If you do fly to Anchorage, you might also see if there is local vessel that will take you to Whittier and College Fjords.  On our HOA cruise, they did Glacier Bay, and then the next day College Fjords, which was multiple glaciers --- amazing!

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2024 at 2:32 PM, ihate2cruise said:

Any tips for where to stay and what not to miss in Anchorage or Seward as we will be flying in 2 days early to help get acclimated before the cruise, it would be much appreciated.

If you like local micro brews and pizza, definately go to Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzeria in Anchorage (probably the best cheesy bread I've ever had).

When I went for the cruise, we only got to Anchorage a day early; so we stayed in a hotel one night, went to Snow City Cafe for breakfast, and took the "Excursion" Train ride to Seward (booked through the cruise, as I believe it was the same price after discounts and allowed us to "check-in" at the Airport/Train terminal and avoid the long lines at the Seward Cruise Terminal).

Was on the Jewel AUG 2022 (Seward to Vanc), and Bliss JUL 2023. You'll definately have a wonderful time. The smaller ship can get closer to the glaciers which is a plus. Enjoyed the Jewel so much, seriously thinking about doing a B2B in APR/MAY. 

7 hours ago, kdmbluerzr said:

Yes. And you do want to book it through the Alaska Railroad website. The Goldstar class category is what I was referring to. In the Goldstar class, if you take the early morning departure, there is a nice breakfast served that is included in this price, as well as a couple of spirited breakfast beverages, mimosa or bloody mary, etc. if you like this sort of breakfast beverage. It's a great way to make the trip from Anchorage to Seward. Scenary is spectacular. 

I thought the food and drink were extra...guess my memory isn't what it used to be (must be all those mimosas I've had over the years! 🤣)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, FFTB said:

If you like local micro brews and pizza, definately go to Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzeria in Anchorage (probably the best cheesy bread I've ever had).

When I went for the cruise, we only got to Anchorage a day early; so we stayed in a hotel one night, went to Snow City Cafe for breakfast, and took the "Excursion" Train ride to Seward (booked through the cruise, as I believe it was the same price after discounts and allowed us to "check-in" at the Airport/Train terminal and avoid the long lines at the Seward Cruise Terminal).

Was on the Jewel AUG 2022 (Seward to Vanc), and Bliss JUL 2023. You'll definately have a wonderful time. The smaller ship can get closer to the glaciers which is a plus. Enjoyed the Jewel so much, seriously thinking about doing a B2B in APR/MAY. 

So....yes, yes, and yes!! You're so right about Moose's Tooth and Snow City Cafe. @schmoopie17 would absolutely love Snow City Cafe. They have the absolute best (seriously) hash browns I have ever had. Those never to be forgotten hockey pucks onboard Norwegian are nothing compared to what Snow City Cafe can put out. The Salmon and Crab Cake Eggs Benedict is absolute yumminess too!

Moose's Tooth pies are great and the beer is amazing. Gotta disagree about the cheesy bread, because Bozeman's (and other locations) MacKenzie River Pizza has the best. It's called Lodge Poles. We used to drive 1.5 hours one way just to get those when we lived in Yellowstone. 

• Like 1