Can I bring a small sewing machine?

Just now, doghog said:

With sewing machines? 

Yes - with sewing machines. And they flew from Atlanta to their departure ports with sewing machines. Regular sewing machines, not mini ones. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Yes - with sewing machines. And they flew from Atlanta to their departure ports with sewing machines. Regular sewing machines, not mini ones. 

😂 I use to say I've heard just about everything here on CC.  I'm not calling you out on it, but this in my mind is beyond belief. 😂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mom says said:

There's no rule that I know of that would forbid a sewing machine. I wouldn't fly to the port (or back after a TA) with one - too much risk of it being damaged in transit. And you could probably set up at the desk in your cabin, but I can't think of anywhere in the public areas of the ship where they would welcome you setting up shop and spreading out for several hours at a time, even if you could find a suitably located electrical outlet. Would you have all of your pieces precut? Because you will have a hard time finding a place with a large enough table to do that. And I'm assuming you are talking about piecing a top, and not machine quilting an entire quilt. 

I have seen a few ladies hand piecing , or doing hand applique blocks. I did the latter on one trip. Besides the hoop, all my materials fit into 2 zip lock bags, and I could do it just about anywhere without inconveniencing anyone.

I would definitely have pieces pre-cut.  I have a small vintage featherweight in a case that I can easily have as carry on.  I will bring some knitting but am still investigating this.  

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Maybe in your cabin but think they are going to let you run a sewing machine in any public areas. You would need more than a plug adapter to plug a sewing machine into a 220 outlet.  You would need a voltage converter. 

Yep...  don't want to be relegated to my cabin but certainly don't want to offend anyone either.  

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Your room will have both 220v and 120V outlets.    If you check your machine look to see if it is 110/200 compatible then you won't have to worry about a transformer.   Almost all electrical products are now dual current.

Have to check on this.  The machine I'm thinking of is a vintage 1937 Singer featherweight

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Are you my mother?  She's obsessed with this stuff, too, to the point that we end up going to fabric stores wherever we go.  I still love her.

I'd also look at pictures and videos of the cabins on whatever ship you're going on so you get an idea of the type of space that is available.  Those desks are not very deep and the chairs in some (depending on the room & decor) are not real functional.

I'm hoping to find some public space where I won't pester anyone with the noise. Would not do this if I have to stay in cabin.   No fun in that.  hahah.    Where does your mom live.  Maybe she wants to be friends.  lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I would say that it’s highly possible they would confiscate this upon embarking the ship and give it back after the cruise so why bother

You are making an assumption.  Let me know when you have factual information.  This is NOT what I'm being told by the cruise line.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I would not set up a sewing machine in the ship’s public areas. You may be besieged with a line of people on Evening Chic nights requesting some tailoring, alterations, and repairs.

haha..   I could make some decent cash.  But I wonder about taxes.  Think there is an 'at sea' tax rate.   You know the government is gonna want their share.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

There is no prohibition against sewing machines, and in fact, there are often cultures groups who come to the ship with dozens of machines and projects for their participants. You can find them in one of the meeting rooms. The biggest problem that they run into is that large scissors are prohibited.

I am seeing some 'quilting' cruises ..  I just need to find out if there are any public spaces or rooms that would allow on this cruise.  Last thing I want to do is cause a noisy nuisance. 

16 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@Beth and Bailey   The only issue I would see is if the sewing machine makes a big vibration that could disturb people next door or, particularly, below you. My wife's sewing machine vibrates the kitchen table, but since we are on a slab there is little resonance. It would be different on board, I think. Remember how annoyed people get under the busy areas in the buffet.

Agree.   I think even if I find out I can...... my concern is disturbing others.  A rubber mat is great and could easily fit in a suitcase.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, keesar said:

Don't want a sewing machine next door to me in a cabin.  Trade in the sewing machine for a good novel.

Don't be surprised to find the sewing machine on the naughty tables when leaving the ship.

no plans to sew in cabin.  looking for public space or a meeting room.  I'm on Deck 8 of the Silhouette ... just in case you need to move a floor or so.  lol

5 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Something tells me that they will be considered prohibited and it’ll get confiscated.  My wife just had a power bar confiscated while we were in the security area and I saw the naughty items table and there were several items on it that although  seemed harmless and not on the list but there they were.

PS - if I had someone beside my cabin or in a public area running this machine, I would not be a happy cruiser

was never my intention to sew in my cabin.   but until Celebrity advises this is PROHIBITED.. (and they've not as yet).. I am still researching.  Last thing I want to do is cause any problems.  So just thinking it over .. pros/cons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, soccermommy said:

I sympathize with you, OP, I love to sew and quilt, and I still work for a well known chain of sewing and craft stores, even though I “officially” retired after 22 years. I do have a few concerns with this scenario, however.

First and foremost, what are the plans for getting a machine to the ship. Some have suggested using a “mini” machine, or a cheap one. I would worry about the stitch quality of some of these cheap machines, you might not be satisfied. Full size machines are not lightweight either. If you are flying, please do not check it. Having seen what could happen to a suitcase, I can only wonder how battered or misaligned  a sewing machine could get.

As far as actually sewing on the ship, there aren’t a lot of public places I can think of where you can sew undisturbed. In fact, the only place I can think of would be a conference room. I don’t know how much these are utilized, but now that I think of it, if they aren’t being booked, why don’t ships have a quiet room for crafting, especially on a TA? But that is something you would have to ask the ship personnel, preferably before you cruise.

I don’t know if a machine would be confiscated, it isn’t prohibited, and I think it might depend on the ship’s interpretation of the rules.

You can, of course, use your room. Some machines are noisier than others, it might or might not be a noise problem for your neighbors. I don’t think a machine would be a power drain.  I would precut fabrics before cruising, you just won’t have the space to lay out fabric unless you use the bed. 
Hand quilting might be a good solution here, it takes less space to bring and use. I have sometimes brought knitting, I don’t think hand work bothers anybody and you get to enjoy some of the ship’s sea day activities. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

Thanks for your guidance.  I have a 1937 featherweight.  so small case.  Would take as carry-on.  being told by line that a sewing machine is not named as a prohibited item.  I don't want to sew in my cabin.  I am still researching other areas where I wouldn't be a pest to anyone.  And I can easily get up and move out if someone needed for another use (meeting).. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Sorry, link didn’t make it.  Just google quilt cruise to find the companies that offer them,

I am seeing those but since we have booked this TA which has 9 sea days........ I just thought I'd like to see if this was possible.

3 hours ago, MagPie60 said:

Take up Cross-stitch. It is very portable and very soothing. I will be bringing some of mine. 

Not a favorite of mine but will bring some knitting.  which I'm horrible at and everyone will receive a not well made, uneven 5ft long scarf..

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Have to check on this.  The machine I'm thinking of is a vintage 1937 Singer featherweight

No way that machine will be dual voltage. If you plug it into 220 without a converter bye bye motor and possibly other wiring. 

If I had a vintage machine like that no way I would risk traveling with it. Possibly worth $1000 to $1500 depending on condition. 

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

No way that machine will be dual voltage. If you plug it into 220 without a converter bye bye motor and possibly other wiring. 

If I had a vintage machine like that no way I would risk traveling with it. Possibly worth $1000 to $1500 depending on condition. 

Thank you for this .  I really don't have a clue.  Appreciate it.  Might look for some cheap machine on Market Place that is newer.  If I even decide to do this.   Don't want to cook my featherweight.

I called Celebrity to inquire about taking a machine. I was advised that 'needles' were not allowed. ah.. not enough of an answer for me so I asked the rep to take the query up a notch. He did and came back with there was nothing in the rules that specifically named a sewing machine as not allowed. hmmm. Going to have to give this more thought. I sure don't want to sew in my cabin. But I also do not want to bother anyone with sewing machine noise in any public area either. Good thing there is plenty of time to continue to investigate.

I very much appreciate all the input from everyone.

• Thanks 1

I think your big problem is going to be the electrical one. I can only speak to the S & M class ships not the E class.  Not sure which you are on

It’s quite possible, between meal times, to set up in the ocean view café, because outside of mealtimes there are plenty of empty tables.

but your big issue is going to be the electrical one. Where to plug in, and what kind of electrical connection you need.  US receptacles are few and far between on ships.

Mostly what you will find are the European two-prong plugs which are probably not going to be of use to you without a voltage converter and a plug adapter.

And seldom are there plugs of any kind near the windows.  Usually they are set into the walls closer to the center of the ship.  I am always looking for places to plug mobility scooters in to top off their charge during the day.

• Haha 1

@Beth and Bailey I want to congratulate you on being the first original poster (better term would be thread initiator, please pardon the pun)  I have seen in my 5 years of reading CC to carefully come back and try to respond to all the comments that your inquiry has generated. Most people do not take the time or effort and often commenters are left wondering about a situation originally described as urgent or a crisis!

Please let us know what happens. Hopefully you will be able to sew this up favorably!

By the way, my experience in the Persian Garden Relaxation Lounge, with about 4 people snoring and sounding like a farm at feeding time, might indicate that in there you wouldn't even be noticed sewing away to your heart's content. But probably not a good idea.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

This is where you’ll have a problem.  Where exactly do you intend to plug in?

Maybe she can bring a generator on board.😀

• Haha 2