Can I bring a small sewing machine?

Just booked a 13 day TA.  Really looking forward to the sea days and relaxing.

I like to sew and have started quilting.  It is so relaxing and I can just picture myself sitting by a window and puttering away on the sea days.

I'll call and ask but does anyone know?  I know about irons and steamers ..  but don't think I've ever seen anyone ask this.

I understand also that all areas outside of the cabin have 220 so I'd have to make sure (if I can) I have the right adapter so I don't blow it up.

• Haha 4

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

mom says was awarded the badge 'Excellent Advice!'

There's no rule that I know of that would forbid a sewing machine. I wouldn't fly to the port (or back after a TA) with one - too much risk of it being damaged in transit. And you could probably set up at the desk in your cabin, but I can't think of anywhere in the public areas of the ship where they would welcome you setting up shop and spreading out for several hours at a time, even if you could find a suitably located electrical outlet. Would you have all of your pieces precut? Because you will have a hard time finding a place with a large enough table to do that. And I'm assuming you are talking about piecing a top, and not machine quilting an entire quilt. 

I have seen a few ladies hand piecing , or doing hand applique blocks. I did the latter on one trip. Besides the hoop, all my materials fit into 2 zip lock bags, and I could do it just about anywhere without inconveniencing anyone.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

I like to sew and have started quilting.  It is so relaxing and I can just picture myself sitting by a window and puttering away on the sea days.

I'll call and ask but does anyone know?  I know about irons and steamers ..  but don't think I've ever seen anyone ask this.

I understand also that all areas outside of the cabin have 220 so I'd have to make sure (if I can) I have the right adapter so I don't blow it up.

Maybe in your cabin but think they are going to let you run a sewing machine in any public areas. You would need more than a plug adapter to plug a sewing machine into a 220 outlet.  You would need a voltage converter. 

Edited by Charles4515

Your room will have both 220v and 120V outlets.    If you check your machine look to see if it is 110/200 compatible then you won't have to worry about a transformer.   Almost all electrical products are now dual current.

• Like 1

Are you my mother?  She's obsessed with this stuff, too, to the point that we end up going to fabric stores wherever we go.  I still love her.

I'd also look at pictures and videos of the cabins on whatever ship you're going on so you get an idea of the type of space that is available.  Those desks are not very deep and the chairs in some (depending on the room & decor) are not real functional.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Your room will have both 220v and 120V outlets.    If you check your machine look to see if it is 110/200 compatible then you won't have to worry about a transformer.   Almost all electrical products are now dual current.

Electronic products are but not electrical products. I just bought a hair dryer for the guest bedroom bathroom and it says 125 volts only. I have a toothbrush charger and it is only good for 120 volts. 

I would not set up a sewing machine in the ship’s public areas. You may be besieged with a line of people on Evening Chic nights requesting some tailoring, alterations, and repairs.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Haha 21

There is no prohibition against sewing machines, and in fact, there are often cultures groups who come to the ship with dozens of machines and projects for their participants. You can find them in one of the meeting rooms. The biggest problem that they run into is that large scissors are prohibited.

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I would say that it’s highly possible they would confiscate this upon embarking the ship and give it back after the cruise so why bother

Why would a sewing machine be confiscated?  They are not prohibited.

52 minutes ago, mom says said:

There's no rule that I know of that would forbid a sewing machine. I wouldn't fly to the port (or back after a TA) with one - too much risk of it being damaged in transit. .....

I am a Pfaff gal myself, but a quilting acquaintance traveled for years with a small Bernina which could fit in an overhead compartment on an airplane.  She was an absolute quilting addict.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Northern Aurora said:

I am a Pfaff gal myself, but a quilting acquaintance traveled for years with a small Bernina which could fit in an overhead compartment on an airplane.  She was an absolute quilting addict.

Hahaha. I'm a Pfaff gal myself, and a long time quilter. But my Pfaff weighs almost as much as my fully loaded 28 inch suitcase. No way would it meet the carry on weight restriction of some airlines.

54 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Electronic products are but not electrical products. I just bought a hair dryer for the guest bedroom bathroom and it says 125 volts only. I have a toothbrush charger and it is only good for 120 volts. 

Sorry the devices you purchased are not dual voltage which is the reason I always recommend reading the label.    My SonicCare is dual as well as my electric razor and every hair dryer in my house.

Not being confrontational but when one makes a definitive statement a little research may be in order. - according to https://www.electronicproducts.com/electrical-devices-vs-electronic-devices-whats-the-difference/

If it uses electricity as the medium for manipulating information, it is almost surely electronic. Electrical and Electronic devices are comprised of different but overlapping categories but, in short, all electronic devices are also electrical devices, it is a subset.

• Like 1

@Beth and Bailey   The only issue I would see is if the sewing machine makes a big vibration that could disturb people next door or, particularly, below you. My wife's sewing machine vibrates the kitchen table, but since we are on a slab there is little resonance. It would be different on board, I think. Remember how annoyed people get under the busy areas in the buffet.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

I would not set up a sewing machine in the ship’s public areas. You may be besieged with a line of people on Evening Chic nights requesting some tailoring, alterations, and repairs.

As I have visions of unwanted wardrobe malfunctions a la the Janet Jackson Super Bowl controversy, I think there could be promise for a nice Evening Chic night side hustle here.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry the devices you purchased are not dual voltage which is the reason I always recommend reading the label.    My SonicCare is dual as well as my electric razor and every hair dryer in my house.

My point is that not all devices are dual voltage. I did switch to Soniccare because it is dual voltage. They sell hairdryers that are dual voltage but since I don’t travel with a hairdryer I bought one that was never going to leave the house because I don’t need dual voltage. It is in the vanity drawer in case a house guest need to use a hair dryer. I have a bunch of appliances that are not dual voltage. No reason for the manufacturer to make them that way. Some devices are dual voltage but to say almost all are is an overstatement. 

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

My point is that not all devices are dual voltage. I did switch to Soniccare because it is dual voltage. They sell hairdryers that are dual voltage but since I don’t travel with a hairdryer I bought one that was never going to leave the house because I don’t need dual voltage. It is in the vanity drawer in case a house guest need to use a hair dryer. I have a bunch of appliances that are not dual voltage. No reason for the manufacturer to make them that way. Some devices are dual voltage but to say almost all are is an overstatement. 

That is why only a treadle machine should be used.  🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Are quilting Bee's still a thing?  I remember those from many years ago and it seems it was all done by hand.  I bet there would a lot of fellow passengers who would be interested in a. good old fashioned quilting bee.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

I have not brought a sewing machine onboard but I have two friends who have sewn their way from the U.S. to Japan, and another time to Australia. Once on Celebrity, once on Azamara.

It's not actually that uncommon - at least it's not when you talk to people who sew. Pressing is an issue, of course, but that can generally be solved with a spray bottle of water. These friends have sewn quilts and clothes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Are quilting Bee's still a thing?  I remember those from many years ago and it seems it was all done by hand.  I bet there would a lot of fellow passengers who would be interested in a. good old fashioned quilting bee.   

Yes. Quilting groups are very popular. 

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

Yeah, but you could pay for the cruise by charging $50 each for those emergency repairs! 🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Yeah, but you could pay for the cruise by charging $50 each for those emergency repairs! 🤣

+ 18% gratuity

• Haha 7