London to Southampton- Princess Transfers Victoria Coach Station

milolii

We are having this discussion on our roll call.  So want to add some details if possible.  What are your experiences?  Is it a mad house at the station?  I know it’s not a big station, we been there a few times on other tours.   What time should you arrive at the coach station?  Ty.  

Edited by milolii
Errors

It’s really not a madhouse. I would liken it to being in a busy airport terminal. But we learned that no one (except us, apparently) adheres to the suggested arrival time. Looking back at my blog, I see that we were told to arrive at 10am. When we got there, the earliest bus departure time available was 11:30am and we got to the ship about 1:30pm,

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2018/10/day-3-embarkation-in-sapphire-princess.html

• Haha 2

The last time we were there it was complete chaos…they changed the pick up gate 3 times and everyone was pushing and shoving.  It was so crowded, no one was able to move, much less move with luggage!  One of our bags was taken off the coach and was left on the pavement.  Thank goodness we were watching out the window and were able to retrieve it before the bus drove off.  Glad others have had good luck with Victoria Station, but after our experience with the over crowding, we now take a cab back to Heathrow to catch the transfer from there.

Interesting...every time we have done this transfer in the past (probably 6 times now) the "departure" gate at Victoria Coach Station has always been Gate 1, way down the corridor to the left as you enter the building. There must have been some really strange things going on for them to change the gate.

We've always had very good luck with that transfer...but you're not going to get to the ship in time to eat lunch in the MDR!

• Like 3

I have a different kind of observation regarding the Princess transfers from Victoria Coach Station.

I've used the transfer service from Heathrow a number of times - sometimes having flown in that day, and sometimes having been in London for a while and taking the tube back to Heathrow to get on the transfer.

Last November I was again in London pre-cruise for a few days and for the first time ever I booked the transfer from Victoria instead of Heathrow. Victoria was just 3 tube stops from my hotel.  This seemed a no brainer compared to the approx 45 minute ride on the Picadilly line from my hotel to Heathrow.

However, I will not book a transfer from Victoria in the future...nothing against the station itself.  But I'm sensitive to motion sickness and was starting to feel green (despite taking Bonine ahead of time) as a result of the roughly 45 minute ride through what felt like twisty-turny streets in London before we connected with the motorway.  (It was maybe only 30 minutes, but felt like forever to me!)  I was still queasy when we arrived in Southampton. 

When we leave from Heathrow we are on the motorway in minutes, and have a smooth ride the whole way down; at least that's been my experience.

• Like 1

Excellent experience for us, several times.  Yes, it got busy. Go earlier than they tell you.  Princess reps are clearly there to sign you in, ticket to board coach, take your luggage. There are toilets, coffee shop and seats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little off-topic but as an option you may wish to consider catching the train from London to Southampton. The station is co-located with Southampton airport and we found getting a taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal was convenient. Its just under 1 hr by train and you avoid any risk of delays on the motorway. 

• Like 1

In May 2022, we stayed at a hotel in London (east side) and took a short cab ride to Victoria Station. It was fine, not a madhouse, but we were there super early. We arrived pretty much after everyone else had boards and just walked on. If staying in London again, we would do the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nini said:

In May 2022, we stayed at a hotel in London (east side) and took a short cab ride to Victoria Station. It was fine, not a madhouse, but we were there super early. We arrived pretty much after everyone else had boards and just walked on. If staying in London again, we would do the same.

I agree..although if you’ve never visited a big cities public transportation center..you may be frightened by it..for folks who’ve ever rode NYC’s subway or SF’s BART..ain’t no thang.

we did it last summer (London to Southhampton using National Express on our own; which is the same way princess transfer does it…we just paid MUCH less) and we’re going to do it again this summer.

On 1/20/2024 at 2:17 PM, Raisinette said:

the roughly 45 minute ride through what felt like twisty-turny streets in London before we connected with the motorway. 

We actually liked this as we got to see MORE of the London area.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, guy01 said:

A little off-topic but as an option you may wish to consider catching the train from London to Southampton. The station is co-located with Southampton airport and we found getting a taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal was convenient. Its just under 1 hr by train and you avoid any risk of delays on the motorway. 

There are always taxis at Southampton Central station. It is much closer to the Cruise Terminals - about £10 by taxi. A cab from Southampton Parkway (the airport station) would be a lot more.

• Like 1

As a Londoner I don't understand if you are in Central London already why you would get the coach instead of the train. The only reason (other than disability for case wrangling) would be the convoluted nature of the ticketing system but it isn't that hard and you avoid the hideous journey on the coach plus the grimness of Victoria Coach Station. 

Yes. Get the train to Southampton Central from London Waterloo.  If you book in advance, the fares are quite cheap. Then either walk or get a taxi to the dock (5 min ride).

1 hour ago, ChristopherTracy said:

As a Londoner I don't understand if you are in Central London already why you would get the coach instead of the train. The only reason (other than disability for case wrangling) would be the convoluted nature of the ticketing system but it isn't that hard and you avoid the hideous journey on the coach plus the grimness of Victoria Coach Station. 

Princess offers transfers from Victoria Coach  Station  right to the ship terminal. Our suitcases show up at our cabin door. No taxis needed in Southampton. Convince.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dog said:

Princess offers transfers from Victoria Coach  Station  right to the ship terminal. Our suitcases show up at our cabin door. No taxis needed in Southampton. Convince.

Yes I totally get that Dog but you are extremely unlikely to be staying near the coach station so you have to get there anyway and you may as well get the same equivalent taxi to Waterloo. It is a flat station with easy access to the trains. You can walk about, go to the toilet, eat and drink in comfort plus you aren't subjected to the M25 plus the bit out of London to get to the M4. 

Once you are at Southampton the cabs are literally right outside the door and drop you at the same place as the coach right alongside the baggage drop. 

I would take the annoyance of having to carry a bag for 5-10mins in total throughout that whole thing than sit on a coach for hours plus having to deal with Victoria Coach Station which is like coach stations the world over with unusable toilets and chaos. 

Horses for courses though innit.

48 minutes ago, ChristopherTracy said:

Yes I totally get that Dog but you are extremely unlikely to be staying near the coach station so you have to get there anyway and you may as well get the same equivalent taxi to Waterloo. It is a flat station with easy access to the trains. You can walk about, go to the toilet, eat and drink in comfort plus you aren't subjected to the M25 plus the bit out of London to get to the M4. 

Once you are at Southampton the cabs are literally right outside the door and drop you at the same place as the coach right alongside the baggage drop. 

I would take the annoyance of having to carry a bag for 5-10mins in total throughout that whole thing than sit on a coach for hours plus having to deal with Victoria Coach Station which is like coach stations the world over with unusable toilets and chaos. 

Horses for courses though innit.

Not my experience as you have described.

Hilton right near Victoria Coach Station. 

No point debating it. 

1 hour ago, ChristopherTracy said:

Yes I totally get that Dog but you are extremely unlikely to be staying near the coach station ....

Everybody has their own idea of convenience. Every time we have taken the transfer from Victoria Coach Station we have stayed right there in Belgravia. Several times literally right around the corner from the station. Walking distance of about 3 blocks, even with luggage. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Everybody has their own idea of convenience. Every time we have taken the transfer from Victoria Coach Station we have stayed right there in Belgravia. Several times literally right around the corner from the station. Walking distance of about 3 blocks, even with luggage. 

I suppose that's why its useful to have both a UK and a non-UK lens. Coaches are the cheapest most studenty form of transport here so lot's of people try to avoid them where necessary. Plus people from the UK are very used to dragging their own luggage on and off trains etc. I have a vested interest as I will get travel sick just looking at a coach!

• Like 1

Thank you for all the great comments. We take BART regularly and use the tube when visiting London. The roll call is having this discussion and since I (or apparently anyone else on the roll call) have even used the Princess transfer;  I was asking the questions to help provide feedback for the group discussion as stated in post #1.  

Agree that Victoria Coach Station is kinda bleak, but have not been there in a few years either. Also agree the train is a great option, much better than our Amtrak. LOL. There is quite a bit of discussion about the train. 

• Like 1