Transferring booking, still allowed?

We took advantage of the $1 deposit the other day and booked a November 2024 cruise, Fort Lauderdale to Santiago, Chile on the Oosterdam. Got the HIA option and an aft-view stateroom on deck 8. 
I was thinking about transferring this booking to a big box warehouse retailer, as they offer the cruise as well. Is there any benefit to doing so, and can it still be done? Two reasons I'd like to do this: A) possibility of their "shop card" benefit upon completion of the cruise, which is significant, and B) they offer decent travel insurance, much cheaper than other companies with better coverage.
I would have booked with them originally but they weren't honoring the $1 deposit and the stateroom we wanted wasn't available.
Is this possible or am I being greedy? 
Thanks so much.

I booked during the Cyber Monday sale back in November with the 25 dollar deposits. Was able to transfer to the same Big Box you are referring to, honored the 25 dollar deposits, plus a very generous shop card. As long as it hasn't been 60 days since you made your original booking you can transfer it no problem. 

Edited by Nattyg1723
  • Thanks 1

This thread is of great interest to me as I just booked a 45 night cruise on the Volendam through HAL directly.  The rep. (PCC) was very responsive, seemed knowledgeable and answered all my questions...even if he had to ask colleagues for the answers.

In any case, I got the stateroom I want, the HIA and the price has already gone up a couple thousand dollars since I booked a few days ago.

I have a TA that I've used on several big trips and she has always been able to boost OBC and/or discount the fare.  I reached out to her to see what she can offer and I was impressed.

My question is will anything change on my current booking if I transfer the reservation?  I don't want to penalize the PCC as he was very good and I don't want to have anything on my reservation be different in any way.  

Do PCC's work on commission?

Thanks for any thoughts/ insights!

2 hours ago, tymike said:

This thread is of great interest to me as I just booked a 45 night cruise on the Volendam through HAL directly.  The rep. (PCC) was very responsive, seemed knowledgeable and answered all my questions...even if he had to ask colleagues for the answers.

In any case, I got the stateroom I want, the HIA and the price has already gone up a couple thousand dollars since I booked a few days ago.

I have a TA that I've used on several big trips and she has always been able to boost OBC and/or discount the fare.  I reached out to her to see what she can offer and I was impressed.

My question is will anything change on my current booking if I transfer the reservation?  I don't want to penalize the PCC as he was very good and I don't want to have anything on my reservation be different in any way.  

Do PCC's work on commission?

Thanks for any thoughts/ insights!

Transferring the booking to a TA should not change anything on your side unless your TA gives you OBC or something else from the agency. The only difference I've seen when I transfer a booking is the final due date is 10 days less once it's moved over to the agency.

What you see online will be different as there is some info that only the TA can see (final payment date being one). But again, the details of the booking should all remain intact.

PCCs don't get commission, but their performance is tracked, so it will go as a lost sale, of sorts, as a booking can't have both a TA and a PCC. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you!    Good to know about commissions for PCC's and about no changes except for final payment. 

If I transfer the reservation can I somehow call the PCC out for truly outstanding service with the company?  I'd like to maintain my relationship with him if my TA ever disappears.

On 1/22/2024 at 5:04 PM, tymike said:

You will be penalizing your PCC. Keep that in mind. 

My honor is worth more than a couple hundred (or less) OBC. If I were ever to transfer a booking to a TA, I would not expect my relationship with my PCC to ever be the same -- if it existed at all.

Also, if you go that route -- be VERY VERY sure of your travel agent. Someone on my Roll Call just had a travel agent, in that time between the TA final payment and the cruiseline's Final Payment, change their TWO CABIN booking from carefully chosen adjoining cabins to Guaranteed reservations that probably will not even be near each other, and did away with their pre-paid gratuities. HAL says the TA made the changes; TA is crickets.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tymike said:

Thank you for the answers.  I am sticking with the PCC....

Thanks for letting us know - Sounds like the PCC did quite a lot for you and deserves the booking.

@tymike No name sharing of PCCs either.  Here is the text from the Cruise Critic Guidlines:

"Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information."

~Nancy

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tymike said:

He was excellent!  I know we aren't allowed to give TA names  but are we allowed to share PCC's name?

We wish and are happy you have a good one.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

@tymike No name sharing of PCCs either.  Here is the text from the Cruise Critic Guidlines:

"Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information."

~Nancy

How the heck can you quote banned text verbatim? Also, I bet that John, who sent you is super happy.

• Haha 1