Angled balcony on the Getaway question 11182

Hello! We have a 10 day cruise booked for Jan of 2026 on the getaway. This would be our 3rd time on her but the first time we booked an angle balcony. My question is does this one face forward or backwards? I’ve seen some posts saying that the ones facing forward are really windy on sea days and we spend a lot of time on our balcony. I’ve circled the cabin. Since we are 2 years away I feel like we have a good chance of getting another angled balcony that’s not to windy if the one we chose is one of the windy ones. Thanks for your help!

IMG_2079.jpeg

Cabin 11182, I think based on your map. I would keep it. I did a little digging and found this video of the same cabin on Encore. 

We always sail in a balcony cabin, and it's always windy if you lean your head forward past the "wall/barrier" or if the wind is blowing toward you. If you look at the photos in this link, it doesn't look like you will lose any privacy either. Norwegian Getaway Cabin 11182 (cruisedeckplans.com)

37 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We always angle for an angled balcony.

Doesn't matter to us if it faces forward or backward...all balconies have a breeze.

So you don't notice a difference in the breeze if it is angled front or back?

2 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

From what I see, looks to be facing toward the front. I personally avoid the angle balcony being it's not as private, people can see your balcony.

The privacy isn't really a concern to us. We don't do anything on there that we would care if people saw..lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrmrsSteelman said:

So you don't notice a difference in the breeze if it is angled front or back?

I suppose it will be a bit more breezy if it's angled toward the front. But as I said, it's always breezy on a balcony, so it's not an issue. 

I also suppose some would say you don't see out the front as well if the angle is aimed to the front. Again, not a big deal, since we tend to sit on the balcony and watch the scenery as it goes by, rather than standing and looking to see what's coming. People on aft balconies don't see what's coming, either...and those are the most expensive balconies.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3

I sailed on the Encore last winter. I too, always go for the angled balcony cabins. We were also on deck 11, room 11874, one of the angled that looks toward the front of the ship. We have had both the fwd facing cabins as well as the ones angled towards the back. We found both to be great. Sometimes it's nice to have that extra breeze when in the warm Caribbean sea, and didn't feel privacy was as issue. That said, as with many other things, much is based on ones personal preferences.   Go have fun!  

3 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I did a little digging and found this video of the same cabin on Encore. 

The BA Plus ships (Escape, Joy, Bliss, Encore) have a larger standard side balcony than the equivalent on the BA ships (Breakaway, Getaway). The OP is sailing Getaway so the standard balcony is less deep. Having an angled balcony on a BA ship makes more of a difference since the standard balcony is so shallow... 

...An angled balcony on a BA ship is much smaller than an angled balcony on a BA Plus ship.

If you are sailing into near gale force wind, okay ... just kidding - strong breeze and/or on a windy day, the direction/heading of the ship and whether it's headwind or tailwind, diagonal across the bow/stern of the ship ... me think, in our experience sailing in a variety of balcony cabins including angled ones, might be more of a deciding factor in whether that GA balcony is usable or not (privacy not a concern for us)    Hmmm, for a January sailing ... might need that puffer and/or fleece jacket to sit outside on that angled balcony, regardless with a warm cup of coffee, tea or hot cocoa, etc. 

On 1/22/2024 at 6:56 AM, MrmrsSteelman said:

Hello! We have a 10 day cruise booked for Jan of 2026 on the getaway. This would be our 3rd time on her but the first time we booked an angle balcony. My question is does this one face forward or backwards? I’ve seen some posts saying that the ones facing forward are really windy on sea days and we spend a lot of time on our balcony. I’ve circled the cabin. Since we are 2 years away I feel like we have a good chance of getting another angled balcony that’s not to windy if the one we chose is one of the windy ones. Thanks for your help!

We were in the same cabin on the Breakaway (same ship layout) and it was amazing! Yes, it is forward facing, but there were NO ISSUES with excess wind and it was as private as any other balcony. We asked our steward for a lounge chair the first day, he brought it and it fit! I used it every day, and the 2 extra chairs still fit. 

You will LOVE IT!

Edited by LGinPA