For those who have switched from Celebrity to Oceania…

lawk

Briefly, my two comparisons:

The food and meals in the dining room and restaurants are much better on Oceania.

The Terrace Cafe on the Vista is the only sailing I have had dinner in a buffet.

Although, I prefer Cafe Al Bacio on Celebrity over Baristas and Bakery on Vista.

The overall entertainment on Celebrity is better than Oceania.

Productions shows on Vista were good.

However, the Vista Lounge is severely lacking due to a low stage and poorly arranged seating. 

I appreciated the string quartet on Vista and listened to them quite often.

It's always nice to experience different cruise products. It did take a bit of adjustment to get used to the smaller Oceania Vista which is beautifully decorated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, SeaWatch12 said:

Briefly, my two comparisons:

The food and meals in the dining room and restaurants are much better on Oceania.

The Terrace Cafe on the Vista is the only sailing I have had dinner in a buffet.

Although, I prefer Cafe Al Bacio on Celebrity over Baristas and Bakery on Vista.

The overall entertainment on Celebrity is better than Oceania.

Productions shows on Vista were good.

However, the Vista Lounge is severely lacking due to a low stage and poorly arranged seating. 

I appreciated the string quartet on Vista and listened to them quite often.

It's always nice to experience different cruise products. It did take a bit of adjustment to get used to the smaller Oceania Vista which is beautifully decorated.

Just got off Vista and I agree with you. Vista a wonderful ship but there are some issues. The fitness center is very small. Specialty restaurants are included on Oceania--and are generally very good.  I don't like the Celebrity production shows. 

• Thanks 1

The main differences:

No lines

No crowds

No (or very little) children

Much better food and service on O.

More inclusions, no nickel and dime on O (specialty restaurants, drinks, internet included)

Better entertainment and activities on C

We took a cruise on O last year with friends who sailed exclusively with C for 20+ years. They agreed that O is in a different league.

That said, for Caribbean cruise, O is not a good fit if you like at least some activities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Enjoying all of the comparisons.    We have booked our first Oceania and working on booking another.

I know it is a different smaller experience but I think it may be a fit for us after sailing Celebrity Exclusively in Suites for 23 years.  

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Enjoying all of the comparisons.    We have booked our first Oceania and working on booking another.

I know it is a different smaller experience but I think it may be a fit for us after sailing Celebrity Exclusively in Suites for 23 years.  

Jim, have enjoyed following your travels on Celebrity for so many years. Thank you. We are taking our first O in March due to changes on Celebrity. Can not wait.

• Like 2

We are Elite Plus on Celebrity.  Next year (May 2025) we booked the Xpedition because we didn't want to lose our deposit from the Celebrity cruise we cancelled for May 2024 and replaced with an Oceania Vista itinerary (it seems Celebrity hasn't dropped its standards for the Galapagos itineraries...at least not yet).  We are looking forward to our first voyage on Oceania, and will give Viking Ocean a try as well in the near future.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim (and Iain) -  Have followed your Celebrity travels for years.   Our first Celebrity Cruise was almost 22 years ago.  May 2002 on Constellation's third voyage.   We loved it.   Then, away went the Michel Roux food, then the "classes" and the overall reduction of services and increased prices and ships getting bigger and bigger.

We have a total fit with Oceania.   We love the Regatta Class ships.  Not everyone does, but we do.  Marina and Riviera are fine too and our next Oceania Cruise is on Vista.  We find the experience low key but elegant, excellent food and service, TRIVIA!, just a lovely experience overall.  Mostly no children.   I don't drink so everything is essentially included for me.  That said we are returning to Celebrity after 5 years for a TA on Silhouette in April.   More about itinerary in that choice, but we will be very much be comparing to our Oceania experiences...so see if we would return again..  

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Fuzzy55 said:

Jim, have enjoyed following your travels on Celebrity for so many years. Thank you. We are taking our first O in March due to changes on Celebrity. Can not wait.

Keep us updated.  Would love to hear how you enjoy.  

59 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

Jim (and Iain) -  Have followed your Celebrity travels for years.   Our first Celebrity Cruise was almost 22 years ago.  May 2002 on Constellation's third voyage.   We loved it.   Then, away went the Michel Roux food, then the "classes" and the overall reduction of services and increased prices and ships getting bigger and bigger.

We have a total fit with Oceania.   We love the Regatta Class ships.  Not everyone does, but we do.  Marina and Riviera are fine too and our next Oceania Cruise is on Vista.  We find the experience low key but elegant, excellent food and service, TRIVIA!, just a lovely experience overall.  Mostly no children.   I don't drink so everything is essentially included for me.  That said we are returning to Celebrity after 5 years for a TA on Silhouette in April.   More about itinerary in that choice, but we will be very much be comparing to our Oceania experiences...so see if we would return again..  

Joe

This can be fun and we can compare.     We are also booked on Silhouette November16 TA.   I'm trying to find a Oceania cruise between May and September.    I think I have narrowed it down to either Nautica  Boston to Montreal  and Regatta Vancouver to LA.    Just playing with something new to us Celebrity Cruisers -   Both are kinda B2B but also listed as a single cruise at a nice combo price below the individual segments. I like it.

I hate to say it but haven't even taken into consideration the differences between ships.   It is more to understand the product and see if it is a fit.   We have our first booking for late 2025 on Vista Istanbul to Barcelona.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim and Iain:

I know you do exhaustive research but just a reminder that Oceania's PH is not =X='s PH.  It's akin to a Sky Suite.  I think you'll very much enjoy the food, especially in the Specialty restaurants.  Have fun.

• Like 1

Just now, marieps said:

Jim and Iain:

I know you do exhaustive research but just a reminder that Oceania's PH is not =X='s PH.  It's akin to a Sky Suite.  I think you'll very much enjoy the food, especially in the Specialty restaurants.  Have fun.

Definitely saw that on the first YouTube video I watched.  The prices I've seen are about that of  a SS.   We booked an Owner's Suite, which is an incredible suite at 2,000 feet.  I'm embarrassed to say the cost was less than a recent Celebrity Suite on Celebrity.    We are more excited but it is not until 2025.

Will really be an interesting non-like-for-like comparison as we are doing 3 Cruises Cunard QM2 Queens Grill,  Oceania Vista  in the OS  Istanbul to Barcelona and finished off with Equinox  Lisbon to Rio and Buenos Aires in a RS. 

On Cunard I would say a Queens Grill is between a SS and CS.

image.thumb.png.9d0ba29515c32947d399e64848171684.png

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, marieps said:

Jim and Iain:

I believe Sky Suite is 300 sqft and PH on the newer O ships is 350 sqft (excluding veranda). Celebrity suite prices never made sense to me, some of them are just absurd. But then again, even regular veranda prices are now pretty close to O, especially on a newer ships. Again, a complete absurd. Not sure who is still sailing with Celebrity.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I believe Sky Suite is 300 sqft and PH on the newer O ships is 350 sqft (excluding veranda). Celebrity suite prices never made sense to me, some of them are just absurd. But then again, even regular veranda prices are now pretty close to O, especially on a newer ships. Again, a complete absurd. Not sure who is still sailing with Celebrity.

We have Insignia's TA booked in August in a PH but two =X= cruises (One Caribbean, one Bermuda/Charleston.)  scheduled in Aqua.  As another poster stated, O doesn't fit for us in the Caribbean with Simply More now the default.  We booked the TA one month before SM took effect.

I wonder if someone on the thread can compare the two lines' air desks.  We're trying to deviate and book Paris and O is trying to schedule us on Air Canada with a very short layover.  They do not respond in a timely manner when my TA requests alternatives.  They'll also only do Star Alliance.  Sky Team is a no go.  It's $400 extra to fly to Paris a week early instead of LHR day of sail..

8 minutes ago, marieps said:

We have Insignia's TA booked in August in a PH but two =X= cruises (One Caribbean, one Bermuda/Charleston.)  scheduled in Aqua.  As another poster stated, O doesn't fit for us in the Caribbean with Simply More now the default.  We booked the TA one month before SM took effect.

I wonder if someone on the thread can compare the two lines' air desks.  We're trying to deviate and book Paris and O is trying to schedule us on Air Canada with a very short layover.  They do not respond in a timely manner when my TA requests alternatives.  They'll also only do Star Alliance.  Sky Team is a no go.  It's $400 extra to fly to Paris a week early instead of LHR day of sail..

Every time we asked for a quote from O for business class their fares were way too high. And you are not in control. We sailed with X last time in 2019 and their air was very good. We could book directly from their website and the fares were very competitive for business class. But in 5 years a lot has changed, so I'm not sure how it is now.

28 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Thanks... I have been doing lots of research.   We have even been considering trying out a Veranda, something we have never done on Celebrity.   Gasp....   I've read so many posts that on Oceania one receives much the same dining experience regardless of cabin type.  Even though we have always sailed in suites doesn't mean we aren't open to consider a different option and sail a bit more.

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks... I have been doing lots of research.   We have even been considering trying out a Veranda, something we have never done on Celebrity.   Gasp....   I've read so many posts that on Oceania one receives much the same dining experience regardless of cabin type.  Even though we have always sailed in suites doesn't mean we aren't open to consider a different option and sail a bit more.

This is where my previous post is germane.  As you are considering Regatta or Nautica, be advised they are R class and the bathrooms are very small.  The shower is a phone booth.  We book only PH when on an R class ship.  The only difference in dining experience in a PH suite is you get to book your Specialty dinner reservations days before the rest of the ship, and right after the bigger suites.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

People book suites for 2 reasons: space and perks. On O there are almost no extra perks for suites. You get a butler (which for many people is not a real benefit). I believe you get one extra specialty restaurant reservation (which you might get anyway depending on availability). Free laundry, which is really peanuts compared to the total cost of the cruise. That's it I believe.

Then there is an extra space. To us 240 sqft on O is more than enough and not worth to pay 40-50% more for PH, but everyone is different. This applies to O class, on the R class I would definitely book PH, but PH on the R class can be similar price to SB or SS. Not a good value in my opinion.

Edited by ak1004
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Every time we asked for a quote from O for business class their fares were way too high. And you are not in control. We sailed with X last time in 2019 and their air was very good. We could book directly from their website and the fares were very competitive for business class. But in 5 years a lot has changed, so I'm not sure how it is now.

In your situation I would take the air credit and do your own air. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, marieps said:

This is where my previous post is germane.  As you are considering Regatta or Nautica, be advised they are R class and the bathrooms are very small.  The shower is a phone booth.  We book only PH when on an R class ship.  The only difference in dining experience in a PH suite is you get to book your Specialty dinner reservations days before the rest of the ship, and right after the bigger suites.

Thanks... Something to keep in mind.   

29 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

People book suites for 2 reasons: space and perks. On O there are almost no extra perks for suites. You get a butler (which for many people is not a real benefit). I believe you get one extra specialty restaurant reservation (which you might get anyway depending on availability). Free laundry, which is really peanuts compared to the total cost of the cruise. That's it I believe.

Then there is an extra space. To us 240 sqft on O is more than enough and not worth to pay 40-50% more for PH, but everyone is different. This applies to O class, on the R class I would definitely book PH, but PH on the R class can be similar price to SB or SS. Not a good value in my opinion.

There are few more perks for suites on O

• Complimentary laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom+
  • Priority 11 am ship embarkation with priority luggage delivery
  • Exclusive card-only access to private Executive Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day
  • 24-hour Butler service
  • Complimentary in-suite bar setup with 6 full-size bottles of premium spirits and wines from our suite beverage menu
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne
  • Fresh fruit basket replenished daily
  • Priority online specialty restaurant reservations
  • Unlimited access to Aquamar Spa Terrace
  • Optional private in-suite embarkation day lunch from noon to 2 pm in Owner’s Suites
  • Luxury bath amenities
  • Choice of daily printed newspaper
  • Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag and personalized stationery
  • Cashmere lap blankets
  • Choice of pillow from a luxurious selection
  • Complimentary shoeshine service
  • Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation++
  • In suite dining from the GDR or any of the specialty restaurants
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I've traveled internationally all my work life and very comfortable shopping air on my own and really don't need transfers or hotels.   I of course compare the price the Oceania prices to what I can book on my own and have not found their pricing advantageous for us.  

I'm sure others enjoy one stop shopping and not interested in doing it themselves.   I on the other hand, like control of my travel and enjoy the planning process.  I think I enjoy the planning anticipation as much as the cruise.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 9:42 AM, Fuzzy55 said:

I think Oceania may be a refuge for discontent Celebrity cruisers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1