First timer info needed

I am sailing on Explore of the Seas in May to Greece. First time on Royal Caribbean and first time in Europe. Please flood me with all the tips, strategies, and need to know info. I have my time dining reservations mostly for 7:30/7:45 times. Will there be late shows and also, what kind of shows do they offer? Any comedy? TIA!

14 minutes ago, mimxmom said:

I have my time dining reservations mostly for 7:30/7:45 times. Will there be late shows and also, what kind of shows do they offer? Any comedy? TIA!

Traditional type shows in the main theater. RC production shows, guest entertainers. Usually a comedian. One night most comedians will do one late night adult only comedy show. No comedy club. Studio B one night will have an ice skating show. One late night there will be Quest. Adult only entertainment. We like it and always go.  Also held in Studio B. Don't ask about it here. Just go and go with the flow. Check your onboard Cruise Compass for all shows and other entertainment for locations and times.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mimxmom said:

I am sailing on Explore of the Seas in May to Greece. First time on Royal Caribbean and first time in Europe. Please flood me with all the tips, strategies, and need to know info. I have my time dining reservations mostly for 7:30/7:45 times. Will there be late shows and also, what kind of shows do they offer? Any comedy? TIA!

Shows in the theater twice a night around 7 and then again around 9:30, I believe in Europe the ice show is once or twice in the afternoon.  Check your app in a month or so to see the actual times.  If they have Quest in studio B ... don't miss it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Depends on the CD. Some CDs require everyone to be on a team. However, it is still easy not to participate if the CD requires this. 

Being "on a team" in no way requires participation.

20 hours ago, mimxmom said:

We sailed on Explorer to Greece and Croatia last September, had a great time! The ship was wonderful and the crew was friendly and helpful! I suggest you join the roll call for your cruise, also go to the boards for Greece and read other peoples comments about what to do in your port stops. There's a wealth of information out there (mostly good! :))

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

A lot of people will tell you it is not suitable for kids.. Gets slightly raunchy at times.. but fun 

It is definitely not suitable for kids, which is why it is limited to guests 18 years or older.  Depending on the CD, Quest can range from R to borderline X (using movie ratings). 

7 hours ago, ajtaylor29 said:

We sailed on Explorer to Greece and Croatia last September, had a great time! The ship was wonderful and the crew was friendly and helpful! I suggest you join the roll call for your cruise, also go to the boards for Greece and read other peoples comments about what to do in your port stops. There's a wealth of information out there (mostly good! :))

May I ask how you got from Ravenna Port to Venice Airport? Does

RCI offer a shuttle bus?

14 hours ago, little britain said:

Yes, we booked our transport thru RC. They have a bus that will shuttle from Venice-Ravenna or Bologna-Ravenna and back. fyi - Ravenna is a lot closer to Bologna than Venice. We flew into Venice a few days pre-cruise, then went to Bologna for 2 days after the cruise then flew home from there)

You cannot book the RC transport on the website, you have to call them (i don't know why?!?) It wasn't that expensive, i'd have to look up exact price, but there were 6 of us and it was the best option. Super easy to find the bus station.

This worked out great for us! I loved Venice, and loved Bologna! So we got to add 2 Italian cities to our trip instead of one! 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 7:55 PM, mimxmom said:

Several thoughts about shows and entertainment: 

- The headliner shows usually run twice each evening ... so whether you have early or late dining, you can make the show. 

- If you feel you're going to run short of time, tell your waiter (politely) you're trying to finish your meal by X:00.  Consider skipping dessert and going up to Windjammer Buffet after the show for dessert; their desserts are sometimes better than those in the MDR.  

- Do you consider movies to be "shows"?  We enjoy the afternoon movie (often shown in the theater), and we sometimes pick up a drink and snack to enjoy during the show.  They also offer MUTS ... Movies Under the Stars from about 5:00 pm - midnight.  Earlier shows will be family-friendly, and later shows will be more interesting to adults.  

- Same thing is true of the comedy shows.  If they offer two showings, the earlier show will be "family friendly" while the later one will be more adult-oriented.  

- Have you downloaded the app to your phone?  As your sailing approaches, you'll be able to view exact show times (and more!) on the app.  

On 1/23/2024 at 8:50 PM, mimxmom said:

Is Quest something you watch or is participation required?

It's something I avoid.  Nothing about it appeals to me.  

On 1/24/2024 at 12:08 AM, George C said:

Make sure you see the ice show , it is normally best show . I do like this ship class  not to big or small . 

I love the Ice Show!  Arrive early, as it's best enjoyed from a front row seat.  

On 1/24/2024 at 4:13 PM, ajtaylor29 said:

There's a wealth of information out there (mostly good! :))

Yes!

On 1/24/2024 at 4:27 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

It is definitely not suitable for kids, which is why it is limited to guests 18 years or older.  Depending on the CD, Quest can range from R to borderline X (using movie ratings). 

To bad the age limit isn't enforced or adhered to by those that bringing their kids (all ages) to Quest. 

On 1/24/2024 at 6:27 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Borderline X? Really? I’ve never been to one much more than PG-13.

17 minutes ago, jenncren said:

Borderline X? Really? I’ve never been to one much more than PG-13.

I was on Navigator several times when she sailed from Florida with some of the wildest Quest games I have played. I won’t go into details but they were as crazy as it gets when it comes to Quest. However, the last half dozen or so Quests I have attended over the last four months have been very mild in comparison. 

I probably attended my first Quest 5-6 years ago after seeing so many comment on how much fun they were here, and I’ve usually enjoyed them—but not to the extent others used to hype them. Maybe it’s because I’ve never been on Navigator!

We did a Mediterranean cruise in May, 2015 with a RT Barcelona with stops in Cannes, Florence, Rome, Ephesus/Turkey, Athens and our last stop was the Amalfi coast.  All private tours and we were with the same 3 couples in Italy.  I was very active on the Roll Call and found tours for ephesusdeluxe.com and privategreecetours.  In Italy, we used romecabs.com.  Excellent tours and cost effective.  You can find these on TripAdvisor.com and read the reviews.