Which cabin would you choose and why?

Hi all. We will be cruising on the Rotterdam, our first time with HA.

We can choose cabin 5096 (has larger balcony) or cabin 6152 (angled balcony, larger cabin). Which would be your preferred cabin. We are cruising to Norway. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

We were in cabin 5117 last Oct on the Rotterdam. It's across the ship from 5096. We actually liked the balcony space. It's deep and affords cover from some wind, and rain. Most regular balcony cabins are not useable in the rain, or heavy wind.

On sunny mornings and afternoons, depending on the direction of the ship, you don't get the typical uncomfortable balcony temps you can get on a regular one. We like to sit on the balcony in the shade reading or watching the sea go by. These angled ones gave us more balcony time. 

Only downside is the angle the balcony is facing. So for 5117 you can see forward easily. The rear view of the ship is very hard to do. You need to lean over the railing to see anything. The cabin itself is fine.  

• Like 1

I've been in that angled room with the angled balcony and liked it for the fact that you have more room for the footstool.  Honestly, what's most important to me is that the balcony is covered, which they are, and that the staterooms are away from noisy areas.  

• Like 1

I’m currently sailing on the Koningsdam on Deck 6 (even numbered room) slightly aft of mid ship. I am two decks above the lifeboats, and cannot see them while sitting my balcony.  I’m glad I did not choose the fifth deck, because the top of the orange lifeboats would be level with floor of my balcony, easily see while sitting.  That’s just my observation. 

Your choice of balcony is very important for Norway cruises. We normally get an inside room, but for Norway we splurged on an aft balcony. We spent most of our time there.  Having some shade was very helpful.

We like the angled balcony for a couple of reasons - larger balcony that the sides can buffer the wind & the area where the connecting door is in the cabin is a great little storage nook for the collapsible hamper & the cabin seems a little larger.

11 hours ago, Bizziecruzer said:

We can choose cabin 5096 (has larger balcony) or cabin 6152 (angled balcony, larger cabin). Which would be your preferred cabin. We are cruising to Norway. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

We make little use of a balcony (will see if that changes on Voyage of the Vikings incl Iceland and a little Norway). While the extra foot or two in the angled cabin might be nice, I would probably lean to 5096 for the midships location. But here are a couple videos to help you visualize the spaces.

5096 on the R'dam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGcklXZJeIg

6152 on the Koningsdam (very brief rotation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nayTNa1cRlA

This stillshot is probably more useful to see what the "larger cabin" buys you

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/6152-nieuw-statendam/

• Thanks 1

Hi.  I’ve been in both types of cabins and I prefer the traditional-rectangular-shaped cabin.  With the rectangular cabin, the balcony door is centered in the middle of the room. As soon as you walk in, you can appreciate the view. With the slanted room, the balcony door is off-center, so that the room is a little less bright.  However, you DO have more room both inside and outside with that slanted room. It’s just that the symmetrical design was more pleasing to me. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

We make little use of a balcony (will see if that changes on Voyage of the Vikings incl Iceland and a little Norway). While the extra foot or two in the angled cabin might be nice, I would probably lean to 5096 for the midships location. But here are a couple videos to help you visualize the spaces.

5096 on the R'dam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGcklXZJeIg

6152 on the Koningsdam (very brief rotation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nayTNa1cRlA

This stillshot is probably more useful to see what the "larger cabin" buys you

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/6152-nieuw-statendam/

Thankyou! I had seen the video for 5096, but didn't find anything for 6152.  New to HA, si didn't think to check other Pinnacle class ships. Happy sailing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArizonaStorm said:

I’m currently sailing on the Koningsdam on Deck 6 (even numbered room) slightly aft of mid ship. I am two decks above the lifeboats, and cannot see them while sitting my balcony.  I’m glad I did not choose the fifth deck, because the top of the orange lifeboats would be level with floor of my balcony, easily see while sitting.  That’s just my observation. 

If you are aft of midship, you are above the tenders, a larger and taller "lifeboat" that would be more intrusive to your line of vision. The much smaller Lifeboats that hang forward of midship would probably not be visible from sitting on the balcony (but of course closer when standing at the rail on deck 5 than 6). 

I would pick 5096, for Norway especially.  That veranda will protect from wind and rain as @dogo88mentioned.  The extra square footage in 6152 isn't as usable space as the larger 5096 veranda will be.  Also, it looks like the room is darker and you can't see the views out the window very well when sitting inside the cabin which @Lauren and John mentioned.

Please let us know what you decide and have a wonderful trip to Norway!

~Nancy

• Like 3

On 1/27/2024 at 7:13 PM, oakridger said:

I would pick 5096, for Norway especially.

I have 5096 on the Nieuw Statendam for the 14 night Norway/Scotland in August/September this year. That balcony is worth more than a standard vista suite balcony, and is a no brainer compared to the limited extra square feet in the angled. My opinion anyway.

Edited by RedIguana
  • Like 1

We were in 5096 midship on the K-dam, which is also the larger angled balcony. I loved this balcony because you could use it all the time...plenty of shade if you want it...which I did because I need sun protection.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2024 at 5:39 AM, Bizziecruzer said:

Have not sailed on Rotterdam but on NA and Eurodam we have booked SS suites with the angled balcony. More room and better viewing.