Retreat pool on Discovery Princess

travelmama06

We went at 10 am on a sea day.  The pool deck was completely taken but the next deck up was completely open.  Our problem was no waiter.  You had to go down to the pool deck bar to get a drink.  Eventually we did get a waiter.  Do not know if that was the work schedule or we complained enough that they brought one in.

18 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

I believe the OP was asking about the Retreat Pool and not the main pool.   I would like to know more about the Retreat pool as well.

The answer given was correct. We've experienced the same with more chairs available on the deck above the pool. 

The question was about the retreat pool and they answered it. Nowhere did they say main pool. 

Definitely fewer chairs around the Retreat pool on the Discovery than on the earlier Royal class ships.  It's surrounded by cabins but yes, the deck above has more chairs.  The pool isn't very deep by the way.  I was kind of shocked when I got in the first time as I eased myself down the ladder and was met by the bottom of the pool much quicker than I thought.

There are not a lot of loungers by or above the retreat pool. It depends on the sailing and the time of year but I have found single loungers earlier in the morning. People tend to take the loungers that are upstairs by the hot tubs first. 
IMG_4963.thumb.png.877a678bf3ca4abba2accc02c50fb638.png

IMG_4964.thumb.png.360428374253903c7557b42d33ddb6a7.png

IMG_4965.thumb.png.618df43875f4f0442ca8c7bc5c151bbd.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Definitely fewer chairs around the Retreat pool on the Discovery than on the earlier Royal class ships.  It's surrounded by cabins but yes, the deck above has more chairs.  The pool isn't very deep by the way.  I was kind of shocked when I got in the first time as I eased myself down the ladder and was met by the bottom of the pool much quicker than I thought.

What is the actual depth? An estimate would be fine. I never use the pools but my wife does.

when is Princess going to learn its demographic, ditch the ladders, and build a few steps with a handrail to get in and out of the pools?  how about the SUN P?  would it really be that hard or expensive?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

when is Princess going to learn its demographic, ditch the ladders, and build a few steps with a handrail to get in and out of the pools?  how about the SUN P?  would it really be that hard or expensive?

If you haven't noticed, in social media, marketing and commercials, NONE cater to that demographic.  

Princess is gearing for new retirees and families. Remember,  lots of people retired during the pandemic. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

What is the actual depth? An estimate would be fine. I never use the pools but my wife does.

Thinking it was 3 feet but not 100% sure as it's from recollection.  It was posted on the sides but I totally missed it as I was getting in.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just got off the Discovery last weekend. It was around 3.5 feet deep across the entire pool. No deep end.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HotRoot said:

We went at 10 am on a sea day.  The pool deck was completely taken but the next deck up was completely open.  Our problem was no waiter.  You had to go down to the pool deck bar to get a drink.  Eventually we did get a waiter.  Do not know if that was the work schedule or we complained enough that they brought one in.

Waiters may not have been patrolling if nobody was there 😉

2 hours ago, donswife said:

Waiters may not have been patrolling if nobody was there 😉

I've read other posts regarding this location and the lack of waiter service. I use waiters in Crooners, Vista Lounge, Wheelhouse bar, and really any bar where I am sitting at a table reading, eating, or listening to music. The waiters come around and ask if I would like something and I do take advantage of that.. For bars near the pools I always just go to the bar myself. It's not difficult and really isn't all that far to go. (I also make the walk at Costco and grocery stores to return my cart to a proper place rather than rudely shoving it to the side which often blocks a parking space. Why are people so lazy these days?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Thinking it was 3 feet but not 100% sure as it's from recollection.  It was posted on the sides but I totally missed it as I was getting in.

3 hours ago, southwestgal said:

Just got off the Discovery last weekend. It was around 3.5 feet deep across the entire pool. No deep end.  

Thank you. I will pass this info on to my wife.

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

Royal and Regal have steps in the Retreat pool. I guess they ditched the steps when they added the cabins around the pool.

The 8 of us will be cruising on the Regal less than a month from now. I had looked at the deck plans and seen the Retreat listed. What is so special about this pool, other than it is the same depth for the whole pool?

Adults only.  No MUTS blasting,  No DJ blasting.  It is a nice, quiet spot.  All chairs were being used when wait service started.  The ship was rocking.  When navigating stairs, I use both hands to hold on.  It is difficult to carry a drink.

• Like 1

One thing to note about retreat pool (and the whole area around it) is that it is always windier than the rest of the open areas on the ship. I think this is because how it is situated, completely (and immediately) surrounded by the next deck. So that makes it shape like a bowl and I think this may be the reason for the extra wind in there. I personally don't mind it at all. It really is around 3-4 feet in depth. So when it gets windy, I'd just sit on the bottom of the pool, all body sunk in:)

Does anyone here know whether it is heated or not?

7 minutes ago, Nina On The Sea said:

What deck is the retreat pool on? Is the Sanctuary nearby this? 

I'm wondering if these adults only areas are easy to go back and forth from? 

The pool is on Deck 17 (Sun). Upstairs and a slightly forward is the Sanctuary - Deck 18 (Sky). 

• Like 1