Liarsville without salmon bake

mattR

Anyone know of a company that offers tours to Liarsville that doesn't include the salmon bake?  Cn you just buy tickets at the gate?  Can you ride a bike to Liarsville from Skagway? 

• 2 weeks later...

From google maps it looks like it would be very doable riding a bike to Liarsville.  I just wonder if you can just dive/bike up or if you have to book a tour to go? 

You could email or call them.  Not sure why you would want to go there.  I would go to the Gold Dredge, bike to the cemetery and then out to the gold rush ghost town of Dyea and hike with the ranger.

My wife likes old little houses/buildings from the late 1800/ early 1900 that you can go in and look around in thought Liarsville might be like that? 

10 hours ago, mattR said:

My wife likes old little houses/buildings from the late 1800/ early 1900 that you can go in and look around in thought Liarsville might be like that? 

It reminds me of a tourist trap.

If your wife is interested in buildings - there is a National Park tour that talks/shows about the buildings and Gold Rush. The one I went on talked a lot about the buildings.  It is free though you need to get tickets early. You used to be able to get them online in advance for a nominal fee but I looked last year and couldn't find them. I would just show up early to get tickets for a certain time slot. My tour was outstanding. The guide was a former teacher.

Here is the info:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/event-details.htm?id=33FB82CE-B066-8F6A-962277F3462E4CFB 

Edited by Coral

19 hours ago, mattR said:

Given your wife's interests she may find the Liarsville tourist trap feeling annoying at best.

Research the Klondike National Historical Park website, paying attention to the Skagway Unit.  Through the years the NPS has acquired more and more of the old buildings, and a number are open to the public.  The Jefferson Smith Parlor Museum is extremely unique.  Given its size entry is limited.  Try to obtain tickets.

Another interesting building in Skagway is the Skagway Museum.  The building dates from 1899.  The interior of the building has changed significantly since I first saw it in 1983 or 1984.  

The other competing community with Skagway was Dyea.  While I love the area only remnants of the townsite still exists.

If you are in Juneau check the status of the Wickersham State Historic Site.  While the Wickersham House Museum in Fairbanks is furnished with items which were essentially in Fairbanks (there are a few exceptions) during the time Judge Wickersham and his first wife Deborah owned the house, the Wickersham State Historic Site in Juneau is just the house.  But it is an interesting house.  The Alaska Division of Natural Resources manages the site, and through the years has struggled with a viable plan for operations.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:04 AM, Coral said:

It reminds me of a tourist trap.

If your wife is interested in buildings - there is a National Park tour that talks/shows about the buildings and Gold Rush. The one I went on talked a lot about the buildings.  It is free though you need to get tickets early. You used to be able to get them online in advance for a nominal fee but I looked last year and couldn't find them. I would just show up early to get tickets for a certain time slot. My tour was outstanding. The guide was a former teacher.

Here is the info:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/event-details.htm?id=33FB82CE-B066-8F6A-962277F3462E4CFB 

Liarville is totally a tourist trap and totally fake and is designed for kids.  My grandkids did enjoy it when we took them there.  Without them I would not walk across the street to get there even if they paid me to do it.

DON

7 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Liarville is totally a tourist trap and totally fake and is designed for kids.  My grandkids did enjoy it when we took them there.  Without them I would not walk across the street to get there even if they paid me to do it.

DON

I was thinking it would be best for 5-10 year olds. Thanks for confirming it.