Reflection LIVE 2/3/24-2/11/24: 8 Crazy Nights of ABC Islands

GenerationX

25 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

It’s a still dark and early morning here at STL.  When Jeremy dropped me off at 4am, the airport was already surprisingly busy. 

That sounds like everyone is done with winter and needs some sun

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sharkette76 said:

So sorry for your loss, Charla. Hope this cruise brightens your spirits. If you're up for a little shopping in Curacao, there's a small boutique called "Meow". They have the most unique women's clothes ever - and reasonably priced. Walking distance from the port - easy to find - they have a couple of locations (I hit them both!). Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for the tip! I am ALWAYS up for a little shopping. 😂. I’ll be sure to check out the boutique. This time I even left weight and space in one of my checked bags to bring home some new outfits.

We went to Hato Caves last week on our Equinox trip.  It was very hot in the caves, so I would recommend grabbing a bottle of water before leaving the ship and dressing comfortably.  I was surprised we weren’t required to wear closed toe shoes but at the very least I would wear sandals with a strap and not flip flops.

We had a fabulous time on the Equinox doing the same itinerary as you will be doing.  Also, sailed in a balcony cabin after only sailing in the Retreat on E class ships post Covid.  Murano was a treat with amazing food and service.  Tuscan for the elite breakfast was a nice quiet alternative to the buffet, someplace we never went when we had access to Luminae.

• Thanks 1

DH and I were originally scheduled to be on this cruise with you, but had to reschedule until Thanksgiving due to his extensive back surgery.   I hope you enjoy this cruise and we will watch sailaway tomorrow on the Port Everglades webcam and follow along your posts! 

• Like 1

Jumping on board for another “Live” with Charla!  

Nothing more can be said about all the hurdles you and Jeremy have been through. You know when you read Live reviews posted by many you really feel you get to know them even if you haven’t met them. As said however sending you the best for your trip.

I wanted to try dry January, but didn’t think it was in the cards for me but then I was watching a program where they had a doctor on talking about “Damp” January! Now that is doable for me. 😂. Still dabble a bit in the liquid libations, by cutting back. Starting a 30 day cruise next week, I couldn’t see jumping from stop to 100 miles an hour! 🤔

Looking forward to your adventure, slow down, breath and reset for the coming year. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL ---- That must have been a fun evening.   You are the only one I knew that survive the full Dry January many gave in at the half way point.

Reminds me of Seinfeld "The Contest"... I would be Kramer.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, countess5 said:

Jumping on board for another “Live” with Charla!  

Nothing more can be said about all the hurdles you and Jeremy have been through. You know when you read Live reviews posted by many you really feel you get to know them even if you haven’t met them. As said however sending you the best for your trip.

I wanted to try dry January, but didn’t think it was in the cards for me but then I was watching a program where they had a doctor on talking about “Damp” January! Now that is doable for me. 😂. Still dabble a bit in the liquid libations, by cutting back. Starting a 30 day cruise next week, I couldn’t see jumping from stop to 100 miles an hour! 🤔

Looking forward to your adventure, slow down, breath and reset for the coming year. 

Cheers! 

Oh now there’s an idea! Next year I’m definitely just doing damp January instead! 😂

An entire month cruise sounds amazing!  What line and itinerary are you doing?

Leaving February 11th on Celebrity Ascent for 7 days Eastern Caribbean, then jumping on Beyond for B2B, 10 day and then 11 day. All over including ABC. 

last winter sailed 48 days and did a live but thinking no live this time. Still thinking about. 

Cheers! 🍸

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello from Fort Lauderdale!  

Other than about 20 minutes of turbulence (that was so bad the captain came on and told the flight attendants to take their seats immediately) our flight down was pretty smooth and my in-flight breakfast burrito wasn’t too bad.  I did go ahead and order a screwdriver with it and I probably should’ve told the flight attendant when I ordered that I was just coming off dry January.  As you can see from the color of the cocktail in the photo, it was NOT mixed for beginners.

We landed in Miami about 15 minutes early and my bags were some of the first off the carousel.  I’m a little nervous as one of them came out halfway unzipped. I’ll do a through inventory once I get settled in, but I never put anything really important or valuable in my checked bags (designer attire and accessories, jewelry, meds and of course the map dress always ride in my carryon), so if anything’s missing it’ll be more of an annoyance than anything else. 

This is probably a good time to talk about pre-cruise hotel.  Since we went budget class for our room on the ship, I decided to splurge a little for our pre-cruise hotel this time and booked us at the Conrad on Fort Lauderdale beach.  We’ve never stayed here before but hotel started making a good impression before we ever set foot in the state of Florida.  

On Monday, I got an email from the hotel concierge introducing herself and asking if there was anything she could assist with for our stay. She mentioned that the hotel has a connection and special rates for car service and offered to arrange any transportation we needed for us.  I decided it’d be a nice change from standing around waiting for an Uber and asked her to book us a car from MIA to the hotel and from the hotel to port the next morning.  

Within half an hour she responded to my email with confirmation of our car service and was able to add the fees to our room folio (so I think I’ll earn honors points for it too which is nice because I have like bare minimum Hilton status right now).  

When I got to the baggage carousel at FLL, a driver in a suit and tie was waiting with our name on a sign.  He got my checked bags from the belt for me while I went to freshen up quickly and then carried all my luggage out to a spotless clean Escalade stocked with phone charging cables and cold bottled waters for the drive!

When we got to the hotel I was greeted by a very friendly bell attendant who unloaded my bags and directed me to check in.  It was about 10:30am so I wasn’t expecting to have a room ready yet, but the front desk let me know that the concierge (who had our flight info for arranging the transfers and new we’d be there early) knew we’d be pretty early and had arranged for a suite to be ready for an early check in!

This suite is ridiculous…I think it’s bigger than my first apartment and it’s definitely cleaner and better decorated.  I was excited that this hotel has the room type I really like at the Hyatt centric where you have a walk out directly onto the pool with a private patio.

I did find this note by the bathtub interesting though…before I draw myself a bath tonight, is there anyone following who lives in the FLL area and can confirm whether it’s true that it’s no big deal that the tap water is yellow?

My bags were delivered to the room about 2 minutes after I got here. As he was unloading them, the bellman pointed out all the features of the room and the hours for pool and beachfront in-seat service.  He also mentioned that if I’m a morning person, the hotel offers complimentary beachfront yoga every morning at 7:30 (we’ll see if that happens…sleeping in and breakfast in bed also sounds pretty appealing).

I have to say, this hotel is almost double what’s usually the top of my budget for a pre-cruise stay in FLL, but I’m already considering making this our new go-to…sorry Hyatt…I have no clue where I’m going to trim fat elsewhere in the cruise budget to afford it (I’m not giving up flying first class so don’t even suggest it), but the finances will figure themselves out I’m sure. 😂

I’m going to take care of a few end of week work loose ends while enjoying the 70 degree temps sitting on my patio then I think I may venture out for some lunch. If I remember correctly from last time Jeremy and I explored the beach a few years ago, there’s a pretty good Mexican place in this neighborhood and I’m kinda craving tacos.

IMG_7466.thumb.jpeg.0d49ad50157f5d3aac4e81baf2fd425f.jpeg

IMG_7473.thumb.jpeg.52451cc3e59f69be6861ca0d980b7a71.jpeg

IMG_7475.thumb.jpeg.3b3f3d0f566e91b5198980087da9663b.jpeg

IMG_7476.thumb.jpeg.ff9e38a5846ca65194c93e87c8478e1b.jpeg

IMG_7477.thumb.jpeg.6c45e06db7bbf8c94c48d150a94235c8.jpeg

IMG_7478.thumb.jpeg.59ff7a104253f290f1ee7eccb9a3c17c.jpeg

IMG_7479.thumb.jpeg.dcd9d7c4bf54abdf1875555cf3f6e50a.jpeg

IMG_7480.thumb.jpeg.347c4a44532cec0e4fe2a3920d5d4404.jpeg

IMG_7482.thumb.jpeg.8f504d5ab2eed75c1619c8bf1db52ccb.jpeg

IMG_7481.thumb.jpeg.85a169f5215ba9ffe31d09332cb8f00a.jpeg

IMG_7483.thumb.jpeg.90e5ad8b200d2b14936ec183f953d8aa.jpeg

IMG_7484.thumb.jpeg.c5feebcce9a72d5a8ffd94b61655e06c.jpeg

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Lona Restaurant - come out of the Conrad and turn right and it’s about a 5 minute walk . We ate there last night and may have over ordered 😂 

DA37E0CD-F4ED-478D-AF53-2C2B18A4C109.jpeg

Oh yes, we’re gonna be BFF’s by the end of the cruise. I can tell already. 😂

I am so sorry for your loss.

Also sad to see that Jeremy could not make it on the cruise but so many bonus points to him as the husband of the year for sacrificing his vacation for you.

I'm looking forward to your review.  We had to reschedule our spring cruise due to some family events so I have to occupy myself with something until May.

• Like 1

North Beach Village is such a cute, little neighborhood tucked behind the Conrad.  If you are up for a little walk, check out the vintage architecture that has been preserved.  Archibald's Village Bakery is a cute hangout right around the corner.  This wiki entry talks about Trump's ties to the Michael Graves designed Conrad.  I watched the property sit in a state of financial limbo for years.  Enjoy your day!😎

Conrad Fort Lauderdale - Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Lona Restaurant - come out of the Conrad and turn right and it’s about a 5 minute walk . We ate there last night and may have over ordered 😂 

DA37E0CD-F4ED-478D-AF53-2C2B18A4C109.jpeg

Wow that looks amazing.

As my dad would say 'eyes bigger than your stomach' lol

10 hours ago, BM64 said:

We went to Hato Caves last week on our Equinox trip.  It was very hot in the caves, so I would recommend grabbing a bottle of water before leaving the ship and dressing comfortably.  I was surprised we weren’t required to wear closed toe shoes but at the very least I would wear sandals with a strap and not flip flops.

We had a fabulous time on the Equinox doing the same itinerary as you will be doing.  Also, sailed in a balcony cabin after only sailing in the Retreat on E class ships post Covid.  Murano was a treat with amazing food and service.  Tuscan for the elite breakfast was a nice quiet alternative to the buffet, someplace we never went when we had access to Luminae.

Thank you very much for the heads up on the cave. Im used to caves near where I live that are chilly inside and was planning on layering warm clothing. You really saved me from sweating!

Ive never done the elite breakfast but think I’ll be trying it out this cruise. On our 10 night beyond cruise this fall I sadly realized that I’ve gotten to the age where my metabolism can no longer bounce back well from a week or more straight of starting the day with heavy breakfasts.

• Like 2

Well guys, my vacation has kicked off with a great deal of hermitage and sloth.  But I guess if you’re going to be a lazy hermit, poolside at a beachfront 4 star hotel is the place to do it.

My plan to go out for lunch was quickly waylaid when I got settled on my patio and one of the pool servers Kaine immediately came over with a smile, handed me a cold bottled water and asked if he could get me anything else to drink while I was working.

Poolside beverages at the Conrad do not come cheap at all.  In fact you think Celebrity’s wine mark ups are bad? This place has the nerve to charge $185 for a bottle of veuve yellow label before tax and tip!  I found the hack though.  There are several cocktails on the menu that can be ordered in this big shaker.  The shaker costs $52 for the first one and $42 for each refill.  1 shaker had about 3-4 glasses worth of cocktail in it that they sell for $20 per glass.  The shaker is yours to keep and the refill discount is valid for multiple days and multiple stays, so I’ll remember to pack it if Gen Z and I decide to cruise out of FLL and stay here this summer.  In the meantime it’ll be useful for bulk mixed beverages at our hot tub and pool at home too.

The blueberry lemonade spiked with vodka was nice and tart and went down way too easy. By the time I was halfway through my shaker, I didn’t want to go anywhere, so Kaine brought me a lobster quesadilla (good, but a bit more lobster at $28 would've  been nice) and an order of chips and guacamole.  

After lunch, I decided it was time for a good long nap.  I woke up just in time to watch a couple of cruise ships sail out from Port Everglades, then wandered over to the pool bar for the happy hour special of a very good, but very small, $10 white sangria to enjoy in a slightly lime green bubble bath (I checked the FLL Reddit page and found confirmation that this is in fact a regular occurrence and the water is perfectly safe…plus I spend most of my summer sitting chest deep in Missouri rivers anyway so I can’t really become a water snob now).

Jeremy and I had a reservation tonight for Trulucks seafood to have some stone crab and split a seafood tower, but I wasn’t feeling up to doing that solo, so I asked the hotel concierge (who texted me in the afternoon to make sure all was going ok with the stay and ask if I needed anything) to help with canceling and getting me a reservation at the hotel Japanese restaurant instead.

After my 8:30 dinner I plan to make the short trip right back to the room to watch a little Netflix, fill out my luggage tags and get ready for embarkation day!

IMG_7486.thumb.jpeg.4510758ffd9cc9f0dd46762be906d9bc.jpeg

IMG_7487.thumb.jpeg.6d43599ea591a103df4ef8bfb92ffaef.jpeg

IMG_7489.thumb.jpeg.c4955c2a2bb11b37791ebe54197c0828.jpeg

IMG_7490.thumb.jpeg.486a45ea1585c910a47e26a7a6bb91a5.jpeg

IMG_7493.thumb.jpeg.012afd52e6822f3bd7234cd340191a19.jpeg

IMG_7496.thumb.jpeg.f69808d8bc7de703ded77b645859b929.jpeg

• Like 22

Thanks so much for sharing😀.  Your posts, pictures, and detailed descriptions are always  entertaining and informative. The positivity, kindness and good vibes you send out are true joy.

I've only been to A of the ABC's , so it will be nice to know what you think.

Cheers to a relaxing cruise.

All the best,

-Sunny

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 6:08 PM, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

my husband and I are booked on a B2B2B Reflection cruise starting Feb 3.

We’re sailing the Reflection’s February 17 sailing so you should still be aboard.  Hope we run into you!

Charla, as always, enjoying your journeys!

Edited by helen haywood
  • Thanks 1

Reporting in from the deep depths of my bed, which by the way is incredibly comfortable, after my dinner at Takato (the Japanese restaurant at the Conrad).  

First of all, as far as ambience, if you’re sensory/neurodivergent, or just someone looking for a peaceful, relaxed  dinner atmosphere this may not be your spot.  

The restaurant is gorgeous, but LOUD.  Bumping club music, echoing walls and floors, and a team of about a half dozen sushi chefs working who all shout the traditional Japanese sushi house greeting at the top of their lungs when a table gets seated.

Also if you plan to go, reservations are probably a good idea.  When I arrived, the hostess was telling people without reservations it would be a 90 minute wait for a table.  I was actually about 20 minutes early for my reservation but the hostess told me if I didn’t mind sitting inside (I didn’t), she could seat me right away.

I started out with a pretty good miso soup and a beautiful seaweed salad.  But main course is where ship got real.

I decided to spoil myself and order something that I’ve always wanted to try but have never had: A5 wagyu beef.  

At this restaurant it’s served raw with a hot stone for self searing and a plate of seasonings.  My sever was asked me if I’d like her to prep it for me the way that she likes to eat it (response: yes please). She asked me about my preferred serving temp (anything other than rare for this meat masterpiece should be a federal offense) and then rubbed the carmelized onion over the hot stone for a few seconds to sweat out some of its flavor on to the stone, then quickly seared each piece of meat and then had me sprinkle it with just a dash of sea salt.   

Those like 3 ounces of meat cost as much as a 20oz bone in ribeye at a good steakhouse in STL l, but to me it was Worth. Every. Dime.  

I am officially ruined for beef. If I’m ever framed for murder and have to pick a last meal before capital punishment, I’m ordering a plate full of A5 and a glass of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir and the taxpayers better pony up.

I feel so bad for Tuscan Grille steak on this cruise.  They have not been dealt a fair hand having to follow this beef.  Fortunately that reservation isn’t until like night 6, so perhaps by then my palate’s memory of this bovine manna from heaven will have faded some. At least I hope so.

The fried rice was also delicious but a huge amount. It’s definitely enough for splitting if you’re getting it as a side.  I took the rest of mine back with me in a box and I think I’ll do as the Indonesians do and have fried rice for breakfast tomorrow.

Continuing the massive portion theme was dessert:  a strawberry cheesecake bingu shaved ice which was just meh until I took my server’s recommendation and let her bring some warm chocolate sauce to drizzle over it.   Then it was like having a chocolate covered strawberry slushie.  

I think the only other critique I’d have about the meal would be service pace. I was seated a little after 8pm and didn’t finish until 10:30. During our time in Italy Jeremy and I came to enjoy a more leisurely dining pace together, but when it was just me sitting there solo with no one to talk to, those 2+ hours really dragged.

On my way back to my room I noticed a condo development ad in the hotel elevator.  Jeremy and I have occasionally talked about retiring to a condo in Fort Lauderdale one day because there’s no sub zero temps, less taxes, none of the chores and maintenance that fill hours of our day and we’d be cruise adjacent.  But then I see this and considering we paid under $200K for our 3 bedroom 2 bath house with finished basement on 12 acres, a studio condo starting at half a million is a tough pill to swallow, even considering it’s 

beachfront property prices.

Well, I think it’s time to doze off to a true crime documentary.  

Sweet dreams from the Conrad and I’ll talk to everyone on embarkation day!

IMG_7497.thumb.jpeg.a93d0364477516fa55eb224c896408b5.jpeg

IMG_7498.thumb.jpeg.dae36df4606f6518553e50652e53f639.jpeg

IMG_7499.thumb.jpeg.12df2f1787816f0d11d03be523c42ea8.jpeg

IMG_7500.thumb.jpeg.79b9c5183143dd1bc21aa1589b86dfce.jpeg

IMG_7502.thumb.jpeg.83e22da05175ea53afaaaa3670a15d22.jpeg

IMG_7504.thumb.jpeg.af633b4e189699eaa55e0cb95ebf958e.jpeg

IMG_7505.thumb.jpeg.dbb5043326168c4bf1650b4e0c22c2e4.jpeg

• Like 14

5 hours ago, GenerationX said:

But then I see this and considering we paid under $200K for our 3 bedroom 2 bath house with finished basement on 12 acres, a studio condo starting at half a million is a tough pill to swallow, even considering it’s 

beachfront property prices.

That's a pretty good price jump, the subdivision we moved from last year the condos are starting at almost $600k CA and they were building them on the last corner available so the traffic would be horrible as it was already bad getting out in the morning for work, so glad we got out. The prices here are nuts, we paid for a detached out $450k in 2010 and sold for 1.7million last year, of course now our new house was over 1.1 million 😅

For fun sometimes I look at what I could get in the US instead of what we have (pipe dream I'm only able to work out of Canada for 4 months of the year and well dogs)

• Like 3