What is this thing? Would this be considered an obstructed balcony?

This is my first cruise so would like some perspective! I am booked for Anthem with Ocean View Balcony GTY and was aware of the risks of booking GTY. I checked in online yesterday and got my cabin number through the Apple Wallet 'hack'. I'll be on the highest deck in cabin 13576 - while I'm not so mad at the metal roof, I looked online and found a picture (below) of the Cabin 13576 balcony, albeit on Quantum. What is the purpose of this thing? Can we ask the crew to move it away from our balcony (looks like there's a wheel and track)? In the image below, the caption lists this as an obstructed balcony. What are the chances that we can get a room change once the room assignments are finalized?

image.thumb.png.ad75e82aa187c3e480bca698b6befa83.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Its a whole lot better than being assigned this.

image.png.ffb6f8f1de7400e4063018501d972636.png

Now that's what I call an obstructed view!

On the bright side, just close your eyes, listen to the ocean, and enjoy some fresh sea air on your balcony.

I always say, it depends on the price point.

If the price was right, you have fresh air on your balcony with some extra room beyond your interior cabin and more light than an inside cabin with an outside view.

"Always Look On the Bright Side of Life" (Monty Python)

• Like 1

Thank you for all the comments letting me know what the thing is! I honestly didn't even know windows got cleaned during the time on the cruise. Figured it was something done when people were offboarded. Lots to learn for a first-timer like me 😅

15 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

yes, lets move it to someone else's balcony who doesnt have a GTY or obstructed....

You would think someone who's been on so many cruises would be more helpful to newbies rather than being condescending. Hope your life isn't as bitter as your comment! 😀

14 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Strike two, it is also a connecting cabin. If you get the chance try to move. Do NOT  mention it was a GTY cabin. best of luck.  

Didn't even notice it was a connecting cabin until you mentioned it! I'll reach out to customer service once the cabin numbers are finalized - doesn't hurt to ask if it's possible. Thanks!

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Its a whole lot better than being assigned this.

image.png.ffb6f8f1de7400e4063018501d972636.png

Yes, I agree the lifeboats are way worse! This helps put things into perspective and if I'm stuck with my current cabin, oh well - there are still plenty of new things to keep it enjoyable on my first cruise 🙂

11 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Now that's what I call an obstructed view!

On the bright side, just close your eyes, listen to the ocean, and enjoy some fresh sea air on your balcony.

I always say, it depends on the price point.

If the price was right, you have fresh air on your balcony with some extra room beyond your interior cabin and more light than an inside cabin with an outside view.

"Always Look On the Bright Side of Life" (Monty Python)

I did book this at a good price so I'll enjoy what I have. Appreciate your positive perspective!

13 minutes ago, SkyMonkey said:

Thank you for all the comments letting me know what the thing is! I honestly didn't even know windows got cleaned during the time on the cruise. Figured it was something done when people were offboarded. Lots to learn for a first-timer like me 😅

You would think someone who's been on so many cruises would be more helpful to newbies rather than being condescending. Hope your life isn't as bitter as your comment! 😀

Didn't even notice it was a connecting cabin until you mentioned it! I'll reach out to customer service once the cabin numbers are finalized - doesn't hurt to ask if it's possible. Thanks!

Yes, I agree the lifeboats are way worse! This helps put things into perspective and if I'm stuck with my current cabin, oh well - there are still plenty of new things to keep it enjoyable on my first cruise 🙂

I did book this at a good price so I'll enjoy what I have. Appreciate your positive perspective!

There is literally only minutes when the ship has no guests onboard between cruises. Maintenance happens all the time while you’re onboard. Most of it when you’re in port but expect not just window washers but lifeboat testing, painting, fixing of railings etc. 

As others have stated that is a pretty good view considering you booked a guaranteed cabin. Guaranteed means you end up with the worse of that category. If you wanted something better then you should pick your cabin at booking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SkyMonkey said:

I have been on the Anthem for multiple cruises. Deck thirteen where your cabin is has the possibility of some noise from the pool during active hours and some chair movement by crew when they are cleaning during the night. If you are a light sleeper, bring a white noise machine and possibly even earplugs just in case. A benefit to your area during hot days is that you are shaded and if it happens to rain, you can meditate on your balcony without getting wet.

A big benefit to your location is that you only need to climb one deck of stairs to get to the Windjammer or Pool Deck. You can go from your room to the Pool Bar in about 3 minutes, get some drinks and bring them back to your balcony under ten minutes if the lines are not long without waiting for an elevator.

You can make the decision on which elevators you want to use since one bank is not much more of a walk than the other.

Many good aspects to your location.

My wife and I are early-birds and we sleep well under almost any circumstances after a full day of sun and activities. We normally book Deck 12 balconies to reduce any noise possibilities and find the two flights of stairs to Pool deck and Windjammer a perfect exercise which does not exhaust us but helps us get steps in.