Boston hotels and things to do?

Hi there

Going on a Canada NE cruise out of Boston in August and we would like to spend a few days pre cruise in Boston since we've never been there.  I'd appreciate any tips on hotels and things to do.  We like museums, theatre, and yummy food (doesn't need to be high end, just good!). We'll have our teen daughter with us too so anything that teens might like would be good as well.  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Mintycake said:

I'd appreciate any tips on hotels and things to do.

Will really depend on your budget-- Boston hotels generally are fairly expensive (more so on average than a lot of other major US cities) and sometimes can be in the stratosphere. Some of the more mundane chain hotels in good locations are going to be $300-400 and the more interesting 4-5 star can be $500 plus. 

1 hour ago, Mintycake said:

We like museums, theatre, and yummy food (doesn't need to be high end, just good!).

I would tell you to start looking in Copley, Back Bay, and Downtown. Those areas are walking distance to most of the things you'll want to do. 

7 hours ago, Mintycake said:

Hi there

Going on a Canada NE cruise out of Boston in August and we would like to spend a few days pre cruise in Boston since we've never been there.  I'd appreciate any tips on hotels and things to do.  We like museums, theatre, and yummy food (doesn't need to be high end, just good!). We'll have our teen daughter with us too so anything that teens might like would be good as well.  Thanks in advance.

E

First book a hotel room with 2 double beds.  Try the Millennium as it was the most reasonable when we were doing the cruise. Take the HOHO Old Town Trolley and Don’t get off unless you have to. This method of touring will save your energy. Places of interest are the Freedom Trail, John Hancock  building has a panoramic wall around on its top floor. Don’t eat there nor at Cheers as they are tourist traps. Eat in the North end = Italian and waterfront for seafood. Yes Fenway park is great to see if you want to try the Boston subway system. Get a Charlie card for multiple trips. Faneuil hall is great just to walk around and people watch.  College students will be back in school so it will be busy on a week. 

7 hours ago, Mintycake said:

Hi there

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Are Boston hotels always this expensive? Goodness. Even airport hotels are steep.

It depends on the time of year but generally yes. There aren't as many hotel rooms as there are in a city like New York. 

I'm in Boston several times a month for work nowadays and sometimes I use an app called Hotel Tonight if things are especially egregious. But the whole premise of it is that you have to wait until literally the day of travel to book. You can book a hotel like one of my favorites-- the Fairmont Copley Plaza-- sometimes for $135 a night when it can go for $400+ in advance. 

• Like 1

We have been busy with too much going on at home--life goes on.  In the meantime, I realize I have not been getting any notifications from cruise critic. So, I decided I'd better check out the excursions, and 90+% are all sold out. Very disappointing. If anyone knows of any private excursions they have room for, please advise. Since I am not getting notifications, please send any information to johonew, my husband.

Thank. you!

soccergang

We have stayed a couple

times at the Godfrey. It was

nice and the location was great. Last August we stayed at the Hampton inn Boston seaport which was right beside the port, so convenient!  
so much to see And do in Boston! There are

lots of walking tours, markets and history! We have seen and done different things every time we have been there! The north end had great restaurants, many with a fixed price menu. 
enjoy!

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2024 at 7:50 PM, soccergang said:

We have been busy with too much going on at home--life goes on.  In the meantime, I realize I have not been getting any notifications from cruise critic. So, I decided I'd better check out the excursions, and 90+% are all sold out. Very disappointing. If anyone knows of any private excursions they have room for, please advise. Since I am not getting notifications, please send any information to johonew, my husband.

You probably meant to post this to your Roll Call 

FALL FOLIAGE ON THE ECLIPSE - September 30, 2024 - Celebrity Eclipse Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

and not the thread about hotels.

from the South of Boston originally and though we don't tend to stay in hotels in our home area, many Boston cruisers select the Adams Inn in Quincy. It may have changed names but it is relatively inexpensive option with the Red Line train  nearby that go straight into Boston. They used to have a free shuttle to the port as well as letting people leave their car there. Now this may have changed but thought I would give that as an option.