Morimoto

macaroni

We just did it on Eurodam last week. My overall impressions were it was good, not great. Not worth the price difference between Tamarind menu but nice for a change. The angry lobster pad thai was the most disappointing dish. Lobster was overseasoned and way overcooked. The whole fish was branzino. It was good but also slightly overcooked. The shrimp three ways was the winner, that was excellent. All of the openers were good and the chocolate sphere dessert was outstanding. While we would probably not do it again unless they either reduced the price or applied the mariner’s discount we felt it was good to try it. We went with another couple so could share the majority of the menu items. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Real NHDOC, it was good but not great, probably won’t do it again, but glad we tried it. The one-night event did sell out before embarkation, but we were able to get in after talking to the hostess one afternoon.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 8:39 AM, Real NHDOC said:

My overall impressions were it was good, not great.

Sounds like my impressions of his land-based restaurants. Good, not great.  It's a good price compared with what you will spend on land.  Any limits on what you can order (multiple starters, multiple mains to share, etc.)?

On 2/4/2024 at 6:39 AM, Real NHDOC said:

We just did it on Eurodam last week. My overall impressions were it was good, not great. Not worth the price difference between Tamarind menu but nice for a change. The angry lobster pad thai was the most disappointing dish. Lobster was overseasoned and way overcooked. The whole fish was branzino. It was good but also slightly overcooked. The shrimp three ways was the winner, that was excellent. All of the openers were good and the chocolate sphere dessert was outstanding. While we would probably not do it again unless they either reduced the price or applied the mariner’s discount we felt it was good to try it. We went with another couple so could share the majority of the menu items. 

Thanks for sharing.

10 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

Sounds like my impressions of his land-based restaurants. Good, not great.  It's a good price compared with what you will spend on land.  Any limits on what you can order (multiple starters, multiple mains to share, etc.)?

There is no limit to the number of dishes or openers or desserts one can order. That’s why it’s nice to go in a group of four or more so that you can try everything. It’s meant to be served “family style”. As for the price, it works out to about $65pp, but remember that’s in addition to what we’ve already paid for food provided in the “free” venues so in reality it’s probably more like $100pp if you factor in that it’s a supplemental charge. 

Overall, I think the quality of the food is better on the Tamarind menu but maybe that’s just because the kitchen is used to making those dishes day in and day out. Also, Tamarind sets a pretty high bar usually and it is hard to beat. That, combined with the lower price and mariner’s discount has us thinking we’d prefer two Tamarind dinners for the same $$$ as one Morimoto night. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

After having the Morimoto lobster on the Rotterdam (whose staff was excellent at cooking fish normally), I think I would pass on the dinner.  The lobster (surcharge) was over spiced - drowning the taste of the lobster with some kind of coating which was way too rich to go with lobster.

Surcharge lobster served in other venues was far superior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, talpostal said:

Has anyone had the sushi? Thought Morimoto had wonderful sushi when I went in Las Vegas but I'm sure it's a different challenge serving it on a cruise ship.

We had it. The presentation was beautiful and the taste was excellent. Having said that we also have been equally pleased with the Nami Sushi offerings too. The Morimoto sushi plate is probably as good as cruise ship sushi can be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was on Eurodam Cruise November ‘23 when Morimoto came aboard. Dressed all in white, shows up in white limo, in Curacao. Was on to inaugurate his new restaurant and participate in filming

last  episode and conclusion, final of Top Chef with Emmeril Legase  to be broadcast March of ‘24. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:22 AM, talpostal said:

Has anyone had the sushi? Thought Morimoto had wonderful sushi when I went in Las Vegas but I'm sure it's a different challenge serving it on a cruise ship.

I'll let you know in early April. We've eaten at two of Morimoto'S restaurants, although not the one in Vegas. To be honest though, Nevada doesn't exactly scream "seafood!" to me. 😉  We were really impressed with Nami Sushi in December, so I have high hopes for the Morimoto appetizer.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:35 AM, kazu said:

After having the Morimoto lobster on the Rotterdam (whose staff was excellent at cooking fish normally), I think I would pass on the dinner.  The lobster (surcharge) was over spiced - drowning the taste of the lobster with some kind of coating which was way too rich to go with lobster.

Surcharge lobster served in other venues was far superior.

On K'dam holiday cruise (Dec 21 - Jan 6) a tablemate ordered the surcharge Morimoto lobster every night. They didn't say if it was/wasn't better, but it was on the table every night.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:39 AM, Real NHDOC said:

We were on the Eurodam that same week and had a similar experience at Morimoto.  Agree with your assessment about it being good, not great.  They definitely were not on their game that night as our waiter told us the fish was cod, only to have the branzino brought out.  Mine was overcooked as well.  The tuna pizza was a disappointment - covered in red onion and jalapeno that totally overwhelmed the dish. my wife ordered the filet medium only to have it come out well done.  We had a similar experience at De Librije pop up before the pandemic also.  It must be difficult to deliver a pop-up experience like that but for the price paid we had sure hoped for a better experience.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:22 AM, talpostal said:

I had the sushi sampler as an appetizer last night. It was the best part of the meal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mawvkysc Thanks for posting that link, it was a pleasant presentation. I would probably try Morimoto but alas there is no tamarind let alone Morimoto on Westerdam. I'm hoping they may do a Tamarind pop up once or twice on our 6 week voyage next year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

@mawvkysc Thanks for posting that link, it was a pleasant presentation. I would probably try Morimoto but alas there is no tamarind let alone Morimoto on Westerdam. I'm hoping they may do a Tamarind pop up once or twice on our 6 week voyage next year.

I’ll be on Zuiderdam for the spring TA. In the 14 days there is one pop up which is Morimoto. I was really hoping for a Tamarind pop up. 

We did it the first night, just happened to be on the right ship. It was very good, not unlike Tamarind but a bit more upscale. I would say that you compare the menu and prices between Morimoto and Tamarind to decide. For me as it wasn't a great improvement over Tamarind based on what I normally order but if you wanted one of the specialty dishes it would be worth it. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are on Westerdam in April/May this year, and we have a couple of stretches of "Taste of Tamarind" up in Canaletto, and there are two pop up Morimotos--one in each segment of the cruise.

I booked Taste of Tamarind almost immediately.  I'm not persuaded by Morimoto, especially with the $60+ price tag

49 minutes ago, visagrunt said:

We are on Westerdam in April/May this year, and we have a couple of stretches of "Taste of Tamarind" up in Canaletto, and there are two pop up Morimotos--one in each segment of the cruise.

I booked Taste of Tamarind almost immediately.  I'm not persuaded by Morimoto, especially with the $60+ price tag

When/how did you know that "Taste of Tamarind" was available? We would definitely be interested in booking that. I'm guessing that the temporary Tamarind runs will be very popular.

Taste of Tamarind and Morimoto pop up both show up as bookable specialty dining, but you will likely have to wait until dining becomes bookable which is usually a few months before sailing date.

image.thumb.png.e8f371c4b991cb36c9aa46437fe0f467.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/13/2024 at 4:31 AM, POA1 said:

To be honest though, Nevada doesn't exactly scream "seafood!" to me. 😉 

Living in Vegas I have always been surprised by the quality of the seafood served around town.  Seafood trucks making deliveries are seen all over the area.  And you would be surprised to find a major shrimp farm just 10 miles from the Strip providing "fresh" shrimp to our visitors. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Boatmyboatie said:

We are currently on the Westerdam. Tamarind is on the Lido deck. They block a dedicated section each night. Seems to be there every night so far. 9 days in on a 14 day cruise. 

This is interesting news. I have heard that they have done a Tamarind pop up in the Canaletto space. I would love to try the Tamarind on Westerdam next year, but I doubt it will take the place Canaletto for that high of a percentage of our 43 day voyage next year.