Oh, for the love of Cookies! Say it ain't so...

21 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Next to go…chocolate covered strawberries.  WBTW, are now mostly covered with the fake white chocolate.  Oh Lordy!  

I’m surprised the strawberries haven’t been removed before now.  Ours have usually been dark chocolate.  DH lives them, so I let him have them all, but I see a lot of uneaten plates of them m the hallways.

4 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

I suppose that if the cookies wouldn't come to you, then they were not worthy.

If they do come to us like when they come as treats in a club balcony or a suite, we honestly don’t eat them.

I used to love cookies and it was my favorite sweet treat but I have avoided food with sugar for a few years and really don’t miss them.  I will eat the chocolate covered strawberries but none of the other sweet treats brought to cabins. 

I’m sad to hear they have been cut as I know so many of you love the cookies. 

Correction to the last post. This week is cruise #25 not 26 on NCL. 

11 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

We let the butler know what we like - usually tortilla chips and salsa for me and cheese and  cheese and cheese for DH. 

We will embark on NCL cruise # 26 in less than a week. We have not ever in the first 25 cruises gone to the buffet for a cookie.  

Cab NCL bring back the breakfast hasbrowns? 

Very important question about the tortilla chips - on our last cruise on the last day we requested some and the ones were got were seasoned like a BBQ type flavor and we loved them. Is this the type they usually are? We are putting together our request list for the next cruise now! 

Was at afternoon snacks at GO on Gem perusing the desserts. A woman asked the attendant if there were any oatmeal raisin cookies. The attendant goes in the back and brings her a plate with 2 cookies. The woman walks off and the attendant brings out the tray full. The attendant smiled and said they had seen her cleaning out an entire tray of cookies, so she could hoard them in her cabin. Attendant said they wanted some for the other guests too. 

Maybe it is this type of behavior that has led to the cookies being axed. It seems to me NCL is trying to eliminate as much as possible the hoarding of food in the staterooms. NCL trying to discourage this by having a room service charge, no longer offering take out orders at O'Sheehans/Local, and now cutting cookies. They are most likely trying to make it a bit easier on the cabin stewards by reducing the number of dirty dishes that need to be routed back through the system. People do bring a lot of dishes out of the buffet, like bowls/plates full of cookies. 

Remember when NCL tried to say no one was allowed to take food out of the buffet? Foolish and unenforceable thing to try. But getting rid of cookies is certainly something they can do.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:31 AM, Asawi said:

I like white chocolate! But overall I'm wondering about NCL chocolate. Wether in desserts or in "chocolate treats" (they had quite a few of those at Gem) It is really poor quality! No big deal though. I'll just find something else to munch on. Like more food...  or cheese... or... 😄 

I have noticed this for years on NCL there chocolate tastes funny I dont know why. The desert will look good you take a bite and yuck.

11 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

I have noticed this for years on NCL there chocolate tastes funny I dont know why. The desert will look good you take a bite and yuck.

Yeah... Not impressed by NCL desserts. At all. Nor the cookies. I do eat the cookies if offered and would never throw one away, but if not available I probably wouldn't miss them. 

I find this thread hard to believe for 2 reasons:
Really, really, no cookies?  If you were playing Family Feud and the question was:  Name something at a cruise ship buffet?   Cookies would be in the top 5 answers.

Second reason is I don't believe the people that dont like cookies.  Who walks past a buffet and does not snatch a cookie?
Y'all are liars

🙈🙉🙊

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

11 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Second reason is I don't believe the people that dont like cookies.  Who walks past a buffet and does not snatch a cookie? Y'all are liars

I LOVE cookies! But I want GOOD cookies! Better than what NCL offer. But desperate times call for desperate measures and sometimes an NCL cookie is better than no cookie at all. 😄 And throwing cookies in the trash... well that's just not right! 😮 

• Like 1

Since someone brought up tortilla chips....

In the past you could get potato chips instead of fries with your sandwiches at the Local.  Last couple of cruises we have been told no potato chips onboard but offered tortilla chips instead.  We just declined fries or tortilla chips.   We don't keep potato chips at home (too addictive!) but on a cruise we have enjoyed them occasionally😋    

As for chocolate covered strawberries, some of us love them and others won't touch them.  I wish they would have an online preference we could check.  Some higher level tiers might prefer a choice of an extra liter of water.  Me, I want the strawberries!     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, detroitlions said:

Good observation!  Maybe that's why I like the chocolate covered strawberries.  The strawberry adds a delish freshness. 

And, if you have never tried it, pineapple rings dipped in chocolate are extra delish!  If you are in the Haven, a good butler can get them for you with a day or two's notice.  (They are listed as one of the items you can pre-order under 'Gifts & More' on the app.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Very important question about the tortilla chips - on our last cruise on the last day we requested some and the ones were got were seasoned like a BBQ type flavor and we loved them. Is this the type they usually are? We are putting together our request list for the next cruise now! 

We’ve received the plain yellow tortilla chips and the ones you are describing and I think those were a white corn or flour? 

3 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

We’ve received the plain yellow tortilla chips and the ones you are describing and I think those were a white corn or flour? 

I just looked back at my pics but like I said it was at the end of the trip, so I guess I stopped taking pictures of snacks by then! Whatever they were, hopefully they have them again this summer.

4 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Why are they called cookies? You don't cook them...you bake them.

Bakies, anyone?

Why do the Brit's call them biscuits? If you can't pour gravy over them, they aren't biscuits. Silly Brits.

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

On Prima 2 Feb., I found no cookies.  I looked.  Every day.

That is so crazy.  Unbelievable

I am no pastry chef but dont people say most of NCL desserts are no bake which is why most of them are meh.  When I have a delicious meal at Cagneys I will often refuse dessert even though its included.  I hate to ruin a fantastic meal with a mediocre dessert.   I would gladly take a cookie though.  First towel animals and now cookies.  NCL has went too far this time 🤬😈

Edited by david_sobe

hey lloyd. would your cruise be oh so unbearable if there were no cookies, hash browns or animal towels? a greater tragedy is the hamburger buns breaking down before you're finished with your burger. if it's really a massive problem for you, bring along a package of oreo's .

are those really reasons you use to book a cruise.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

a greater tragedy is the hamburger buns breaking down before you're finished with your burger.

Speaking of which, anyone know how the hamburger buns are in the now complimentary American Diner? Please don't tell me they're the same.

35 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Speaking of which, anyone know how the hamburger buns are in the now complimentary American Diner? Please don't tell me they're the same.

DH said he had a good burger & bun in the American Diner on Encore last month.   We ate there a couple of times during our cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

are those really reasons you use to book a cruise.

Of course not.  I was poking fun at folks who get worked up about such nonsense.  I do, however, miss my hash browns.

i knew that,  of course i under stood your sarcasm. thought for the day ! if you book a suite or a haven suite, can you see if the butler or concierge can sweet talk anyone in the kitchen to rustle  up some hash browns? 

2 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i knew that,  of course i under stood your sarcasm. thought for the day ! if you book a suite or a haven suite, can you see if the butler or concierge can sweet talk anyone in the kitchen to rustle  up some hash browns? 

Nah.  I'll book inside and stop at McDonalds to get some hash browns.

you think mickey d's will stay edible until you get to your cabin? it's still 2months away, but we're booked into a suite on the star from rio to lisbon. i'll try and remember to post whether or not anyone would make hashbrowns for us in any venue.   do not give up  the ship..LOL (a little nautical humor)