Electric tea kettle

17 hours ago, Crew News said:

You can request but you will be told that  kettles are not authorized for use.  Hot water is available in the Lido Market 24/7.

That is false if you are told that they are "not authorized for use".  We had one in our cabin on Rotterdam in November.  Can't imagine that a kettle is safe to use only as long as it's in a suite.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chicopaige said:

Is it possible to request a tea kettle on the Eurodam?

18 hours ago, Crew News said:

You can request but you will be told that  kettles are not authorized for use.  Hot water is available in the Lido Market 24/7.

48 minutes ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

That is false if you are told that they are "not authorized for use".  We had one in our cabin on Rotterdam in November.  Can't imagine that a kettle is safe to use only as long as it's in a suite.

The following quotation from the HAL website directly addresses kettles as the OP questioned:  "For safety reasons, travel irons, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining service 24 hours a day."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

The following quotation from the HAL website directly addresses kettles as the OP questioned:  "For safety reasons, travel irons, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining service 24 hours a day."

So we were not allowed to use the kettle that they provided?  No one ever said anything.  I’ll report myself next time.  

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

So we were not allowed to use the kettle that they provided?  No one ever said anything.  I’ll report myself next time.  

Did you have a “kettle” in your suite or a coffeemaker.?  Coffeemakers are in Neptune suites, but I was not aware that there were kettles in suites

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

What kettle? Do you mean the coffee maker, or was this on another line? In 20 years of sailing with HAL I have never been provided with a kettle.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, colbe said:

What kettle? Do you mean the coffee maker, or was this on another line? In 20 years of sailing with HAL I have never been provided with a kettle.

There was a coffee/espresso maker and an electric tea kettle in the pantry of the PS.  You can see them in YouTube videos for that cabin.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

There was a coffee/espresso maker and an electric tea kettle in the pantry of the PS.  You can see them in YouTube videos for that cabin.

Correct - PS is the only one with a kettle.

Most of them also have a ginormous fridge.  I asked once about that and apparently the voltage or number of outlets in the PS is different than the other cabins (I don’t remember exactly the explanation).  I am sure the other cabins couldn’t handle the huge refrigerator in that pantry not to mention the toaster, etc.

PS on the Zuiderdam had it all.  PS on the Prinsendam did not - much smaller area compared to the Vista’s and no place (and probably could not handle) for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As has been discussed in other threads, the Pinnacle Suite has features that are not available in other cabins and I'm not sure why.  Some people claim it is due to the power consumption but that cannot be correct.  Electric hair dryers are standard in all cabins and they consume the same amount of power (technically, draw the same amount of current) as things like microwave ovens, toasters, and electric tea kettles that are in the PS on most HAL ships.

The only reasons that I can think of why they are  prohibited are one of:

1. HAL simply doesn't want to spend the money to provide them in all cabins
  2. They think most cabins are too small for them so they only allow them in some suites
  3. By limiting these items to a few suites, they limit the risk of a fire
  • Like 2

Well at the price of a PS, I can understand why all amenities would be provided.  Now I know why I didn’t know about the kettle — I haven’t cruised in a PS.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Torquer said:

As has been discussed in other threads, the Pinnacle Suite has features that are not available in other cabins and I'm not sure why.  Some people claim it is due to the power consumption but that cannot be correct.  Electric hair dryers are standard in all cabins and they consume the same amount of power (technically, draw the same amount of current) as things like microwave ovens, toasters, and electric tea kettles that are in the PS on most HAL ships.

The only reasons that I can think of why they are  prohibited are one of:

1. HAL simply doesn't want to spend the money to provide them in all cabins
  2. They think most cabins are too small for them so they only allow them in some suites
  3. By limiting these items to a few suites, they limit the risk of a fire

Running both the tea kettle and the hair dryer at the same time may be the concern. Happens in my house too - all is fine until the one extra appliance it plugged in. 

Plus hot water can be obtained elsewhere on the ship, hair dryers not so much.

Solution: bring a good thermos and fill up hot water for your cabin. use 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Running both the tea kettle and the hair dryer at the same time may be the concern. Happens in my house too - all is fine until the one extra appliance it plugged in. 

Plus hot water can be obtained elsewhere on the ship, hair dryers not so much.

Solution: bring a good thermos and fill up hot water for your cabin. use 

FINALLY!!!!  Something’s advantageous about not having hair.   

• Haha 7

On 2/9/2024 at 4:18 PM, FlyingCruiser2 said:

In Pinnacle Suite, yes - the rest of the cabins, no.

On 2/9/2024 at 5:18 PM, kazu said:

Correct - PS is the only one with a kettle.

Most of them also have a ginormous fridge.  I asked once about that and apparently the voltage or number of outlets in the PS is different than the other cabins (I don’t remember exactly the explanation).  I am sure the other cabins couldn’t handle the huge refrigerator in that pantry not to mention the toaster, etc.

And microwave!!

All this talk of kettles makes me giggle.

We have requested a kettle on several lines that don’t ordinarily provide them and every  single one of them has obliged us. So Azamara will, Regent Seven Seas will and so will Celebrity. P & O and Cunard always provide kettles, I have had one on Oceania too. 

Brits know that tea can only be made with boiling water and the water delivered from room service just isn’t that hot.

We sail HAL in about 4 weeks, round Japan, I’m hoping I can get a kettle but if not I will just put up with badly brewed tea.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

All this talk of kettles makes me giggle.

We have requested a kettle on several lines that don’t ordinarily provide them and every  single one of them has obliged us. So Azamara will, Regent Seven Seas will and so will Celebrity. P & O and Cunard always provide kettles, I have had one on Oceania too. 

Brits know that tea can only be made with boiling water and the water delivered from room service just isn’t that hot.

We sail HAL in about 4 weeks, round Japan, I’m hoping I can get a kettle but if not I will just put up with badly brewed tea.

The Irish take their tea seriously too!  We have no problems in using the water boilers in the Lido.  You will always find one that is hotter than the others.  We always bring an insulated flask and DW enjoys her hot tea with breakfast.  Always remember to warm the flask, mug or cup, just the same as you warm the teapot! 😉

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 3:01 PM, Crew News said:

While this is their stated policy, you will find that most if not all ships that sail from the UK and carry many British passengers will indeed have a kettle in the cabins for those sailings. Which is why I have never understood them taking this stance when sailing from other ports. 

21 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

While this is their stated policy, you will find that most if not all ships that sail from the UK and carry many British passengers will indeed have a kettle in the cabins for those sailings. Which is why I have never understood them taking this stance when sailing from other ports. 

The ships are likely wired differently.

Canadian tea-drinkers also take their tea seriously. The biggest problem in some countries and on some ships is getting boiling water. A few years ago we had a Neptune Suite and were provided with a coffee maker which is totally unsuitable for making a decent "cuppa."  As others have said no kettles were available. 

The only place on the ship where we had water that was hot enough for tea was in the Neptune Lounge. She Who Must Be Obeyed will not get out of bed until she has a good cup of tea. Fortunately we were close to the lounge. The so-called hot water provided elsewhere was disgusting.  Getting a tea-pot was also impossible, although a woman at our table in the restaurant got one - apparently it was the only one available so the staff kept it for her.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 3:59 PM, Kristal Blade said:

Just remembered another line that provides kettles… Cunard, but I expect you could have predicted that.

Only 1 teapot on a ship sounds like the perfect excuse for mutiny!

That small tea-pot was silver-plated and had the NASM badge on it. Pity there weren't more of them. 

Cunard provides kettles in all cabins. Teapots are available on request. Last year we splurged on Queens Grill and had a lovely Wedgewood china tea set in our suite. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1