Cruising with cpap machine

riviera

Haven’t cruised with Carnival in quite a while so I was surprised when I called special needs to request an extension cord & distilled water, that not only do they charge $3.25 for the water, they added an

18% gratuity charge. 

3 minutes ago, riviera said:

Haven’t cruised with Carnival in quite a while so I was surprised when I called special needs to request an extension cord & distilled water, that not only do they charge $3.25 for the water, they added an

18% gratuity charge. 

It would be worth $3.84 to me not to carry it up the gangway and around with me if I board before staterooms are ready.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tidecat said:

It would be worth $3.84 to me not to carry it up the gangway and around with me if I board before staterooms are ready.

Totally agree. Just surprised they charge. We usually cruise royal & have never been charged for water. 

• Like 1

You can bring on your own distilled water as long as it is sealed and brought on with your CPAP.

The charge for distilled water is detailed on Carnival's website. It costs them something so it's reasonable to have to pay in my opinion.

• Like 1

The distilled water is not necessary. I have used a CPAP for over 20 years and on many cruises. The ships water is just fine for that short of a timeframe and actually can be even better, depending on the type of purification that ship uses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

The distilled water is not necessary. I have used a CPAP for over 20 years and on many cruises. The ships water is just fine for that short of a timeframe and actually can be even better, depending on the type of purification that ship uses.

Exactly.  I'll take Royal and Princess' free bottle, but the ship's water is much closer to distilled (in terms of mineral content) than your tap water at home. Using ship's water for 3-7 days won't do any long-term damage, so on Carnival I just use the ship's water.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alexintheboro said:

I have always just filled an old 20oz water bottle with distilled water from home and brought it on the ship.  I am not going to pay $3.84 for 1 gallon if I only need a few ounces.

I'm surprised it hasn't been confiscated, because the only bottled water Carnival permits you bring onboard is sealed distilled water (in its original container) for a CPAP.

7 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I'm surprised it hasn't been confiscated, because the only bottled water Carnival permits you bring onboard is sealed distilled water (in its original container) for a CPAP.

They are a little more lenient when you bring on a small amount of water with your CPAP. But yes - by the rules, that isn't allowed.

Edited by mz-s

I have used the water on the ship for 20+ cruises with no issues as well.

I always pack my own extension chord, but if you ask your room steward he/she will get you one. 

Just don’t leave your machine in the Jeep like I did once. The wife almost made me sleep on the balcony all week. 

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

While I'm sure the ship's water is fine for the machine, is it good to be breathing in halogenated water?

This has been discussed previously elsewhere on this site, just let the water settle for a few hours.

1 minute ago, ngrund said:

This has been discussed previously elsewhere on this site, just let the water settle for a few hours.

Good point, yeah I didn't think about that. Just let the chlorine offgas.