Retreat Guests Interactions With Crew

3boyz2keep

We’re on day 2 of our first experience in The Retreat on The Beyond. In less than 24 hours I’ve seen cringe worthy treatment of The Retreat staff. The entitlement astounds me. My husband had an idea. Cruise pricing in the future should include an a**hole tax once you’re identified as such. 😂 

Edited by 3boyz2keep
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 13

I'm really surprised. We've sailed in the Retreat on Beyond and never witnessed anything like you are describing.

I believe there are certain written rules of conduct that X has regarding guest's treatment of their staff. It will be interesting to see how this situation is handled.

• Like 2

We have seen some who were upset because their expectations weren’t being met:  no butler, limited choice of included beverages, slow drink service in the lounge (true).  But nothing I would describe as cringe worthy.  
Guest Services that’s where we have seen the worst behavior.

• Like 3

Probably first-timers who have an inflated idea of having "servants." I always remember how Queen Elizabeth took Megan Markle aside and explained "that's not how we speak to our staff." Folks show who they are...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I'm really surprised. We've sailed in the Retreat on Beyond and never witnessed anything like you are describing.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

We have seen some who were upset because their expectations weren’t being met:  no butler,  But nothing I would describe as cringe worthy.  

Ditto!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texed said:

Ditto!

I must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time to witness such poor behavior this morning in The Retreat Lounge and Pool Deck. A woman berated an officer because of the creaking on the ship (we’re having a good bit of movement) and wanted her cabin to be moved. We have a full ship so this isn’t possible. Apparently she has 4 weeks booked and will be canceling because “I’m so sick of this!”. She was very loud and drew attention to herself. Meanwhile, on the Retreat pool deck a crew member was moving loungers to accommodate guests and an elderly gentleman was barking the aisle now wasn’t wide enough and scolded him loudly to “THINK!” Very uncalled for. Seems some forgot to pack their manners. These incidences were not because expectations weren’t being met by Celebrity.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 3boyz2keep said:

I must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time to witness such poor behavior this morning in The Retreat Lounge and Pool Deck.

Sorry you have had to witness the rude behavior.

• Like 2

I just left the Ascent where I was in a sky suite and actually was standing outside my room listening to the lady in the next room (sky suite) berate the room attendant for not getting her room done earlier….yelling at him, it was so ridiculous and our room guy was so good, always happy and good at his job.

i felt so bad for him. 
Trust me, being in a sky suite makes you no better then staying in an inside cabin. Although the room was very nice I guess I’m not one who uses all the other suite amenities. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

I just left the Ascent where I was in a sky suite and actually was standing outside my room listening to the lady in the next room (sky suite) berate the room attendant for not getting her room done earlier….yelling at him, it was so ridiculous and our room guy was so good, always happy and good at his job.

i felt so bad for him. 
Trust me, being in a sky suite makes you no better then staying in an inside cabin. Although the room was very nice I guess I’m not one who uses all the other suite amenities. 

One reason I make a point to call out our great attendants by name in the post-cruise surveys, to help counter the folks like your neighbor

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Wow. What is going on? Why are guests abusing the staff?

If I ever heard or witnessed any of the scenarios being discussed here,  I would  not hesitate to pick up the phone and call Guest Relations. X's officers need to deal to deal with these situations.

• Like 4

And all ages. Unfortunately we’ve seen young, drunk ones on short cruises and elderly entitled ones thinking they’re better than everyone else.

Elite+, Zenith, Royal, Platinum doesn’t impress me. 
Manners do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It feels especially disappointing to hear about these incidents because my experience on Celebrity (never in the Retreat) is that the employees are so incredibly polite. I generally try to be polite in all aspects of my life, but on a cruise ship, I feel like I need to up my manners game to meet the level of respect and hospitality I am treated with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've been binge watching Customer Wars and it's awful the way some people treat service workers. The best is when the workers fight back and take care of business. Unfortunately the staff onboard cruise ships are not in a position to do that.

4 hours ago, keesar said:

Unfortunately, this does happen.  Entitlement. I have met these guests who introduce themselves as being double zeniths.  Who cares except them?  

We had that misfortune last cruise:  they were introduced to DH and I as Triple Zeniths who spend 3 months on a Celebrity ship every year.  Their comments such as DH and I were in their living room were bizarre! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 3boyz2keep said:

I must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time to witness such poor behavior this morning in The Retreat Lounge and Pool Deck. A woman berated an officer because of the creaking on the ship (we’re having a good bit of movement) and wanted her cabin to be moved. We have a full ship so this isn’t possible. Apparently she has 4 weeks booked and will be canceling because “I’m so sick of this!”. She was very loud and drew attention to herself. Meanwhile, on the Retreat pool deck a crew member was moving loungers to accommodate guests and an elderly gentleman was barking the aisle now wasn’t wide enough and scolded him loudly to “THINK!” Very uncalled for. Seems some forgot to pack their manners. These incidences were not because expectations weren’t being met by Celebrity.

Yes, DH and I have experienced numerous examples of unacceptable guest behavior of this nature  in the past year and a half.  (And we offer to make a report on behalf of the crew member if a complaint is filed by the obnoxious guest; as recently as our cruise which ended January 12th.)

• Like 2

Oh my goodness, it’s not just Retreat guests. 

Two incidents from our recent cruise:

Re-boarding at a port, walking past the crew handing out iced flannels and cold drinks. Woman in front of us barks the single word “orange” at the crew member, no please, no thank you, no smile, can’t even stretch herself to a sentence.

In the theatre before an excursion, husband has just been given two bottles of water by the crew member supervising the table. Woman steps up - “I need water” and picks up the two bottles (my husband calmly took them back off her). 

• Like 6

Oh yes. There are “those” guests.  We were in Retreat and went into what was then Michaels. We sat in a table unfortunately near 2 older couples nThe one woman looked at us (we were not dressed in rip jeans but Friday casual), said very loudly “ They are letting anyone in here”.    When the bartender came over, I made a point of pulling out our Suite/Retreat card.    The attitude lady’s mouth dropped.  The bartender said, no need, we know who you are and smiled.  

And that was to guests. Cant imagine how privileged she felt dealing with staff.  

• Like 4

Agree that it’s not just on cruises but I have witnessed this behavior on just about every cruise line and not just the suite area. The worst has been on Royal Caribbean in the now Crown lounge by Crown and Anchor guests who felt their importance. Guests talking down to crew members, snapping their fingers and ordering them around like they were their personal servant. Very sad. It’s one reason that we avoid the past guest and suite lounges at all costs. There will almost always be a few that are trying to one up another on who they know and how many cruises they have taken with said cruise line. It’s disgusting.

• Like 1