‘Fun’ things to do on Viking Orion

Happietraveller

This will be our first cruise with Viking.  Very excited, but starting to worry as have been repeatedly told…”oh Viking cruises are for intellectuals”.  😯.  I will enjoy various talks on ports we are visiting, but I would also enjoy some ‘fun’ things too.  I’ve been told there are no ‘shows’…we don’t normally do shows, preferring a leisurely dinner, but this is a 10 week cruise.  Is there a trivia night?  Perhaps art classes?  Anything light hearted to fill the days at sea?  Help!  🙂

9 hours ago, Happietraveller said:

This will be our first cruise with Viking.  Very excited, but starting to worry as have been repeatedly told…”oh Viking cruises are for intellectuals”.  😯.  I will enjoy various talks on ports we are visiting, but I would also enjoy some ‘fun’ things too.  I’ve been told there are no ‘shows’…we don’t normally do shows, preferring a leisurely dinner, but this is a 10 week cruise.  Is there a trivia night?  Perhaps art classes?  Anything light hearted to fill the days at sea?  Help!  🙂

First - there are shows.  However, you put "shows" in quotes.  Every night there is a show in the Star Theatre and it is not as BIG as some larger mass market cruise lines, but there is a dance/singing troop, the Viking Band, and the Cruise Director will host a variety show as well.  There can be comedians, magicians, and the like, but lower key than a line that has 3000+ guests.

There are Resident Historians that have lectures (If you consider this fun) that have talks daily about the region you are visiting or the history of the region.

Port talks of course.

Yes, there is Trivia, but this is generally during the day.

There is 4:00pm Tea in the Winter Garden.

There can be craft and cooking demonstrations.

I think that you will find that if you are part of a world cruise, there will be more options than a straight 8-12 night cruise.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Opinica said:

My wife plays bridge 3 hours/day on Viking cruises.  She's addicted.

This is easy to do.  

On the world cruise, we had to make a decision as to whether to commit to bridge, or to take advantage of the other things going on on the ship.  Bridge takes a huge chunk of time, so we decided not to play that trip.  

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

First - there are shows.  However, you put "shows" in quotes.  Every night there is a show in the Star Theatre and it is not as BIG as some larger mass market cruise lines, but there is a dance/singing troop, the Viking Band, and the Cruise Director will host a variety show as well.  There can be comedians, magicians, and the like, but lower key than a line that has 3000+ guests.

There are Resident Historians that have lectures (If you consider this fun) that have talks daily about the region you are visiting or the history of the region.

Port talks of course.

Yes, there is Trivia, but this is generally during the day.

There is 4:00pm Tea in the Winter Garden.

There can be craft and cooking demonstrations.

I think that you will find that if you are part of a world cruise, there will be more options than a straight 8-12 night cruise.

The last few cruises we have been on there has also been an evening session of trivia at 8 pm too.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

The last few cruises we have been on there has also been an evening session of trivia at 8 pm too.

Yes. Daytime trivia is for sea days. I believe on our last expedition cruise it was 7:00 PM. We’ve won several rounds of champagne 🥂 

• Like 2

I'm eager to get any available tour when we're on the Orion in April.

We started cruising back during the pandemic and everyone was all masked up.  I'm so glad to see more of the crew than just their eyes.

Yes, trivia is a great way to meet people too.

17 hours ago, Happietraveller said:

Perhaps art classes?  Anything light hearted to fill the days at sea?  Help!

Every cruise I have been on with multiple sea days (usually the TAs) has had some form of an art class—water color painting, crafts, knitting, etc. Besides lectures, we enjoy a daily trip to the thermal spa, a one mile walk around the promenade on deck 2, and tea in the Winter Garden. You will not lack for relaxing things to do.

Thanks everyone.  I have to say, as a long time contributor to ‘trip advisor’ I find this cruise critic site to be extremely difficult to manoeuvre around.  Some of you have sent me ‘cc’ shortcuts but these seem to only take me to the forum page.  I’ll have to ask for lessons once onboard.  😉.  
I’m a dance teacher and will miss my dancing for such a long stretch.  Hoping there will be some exercise classes or dance classes too.  

I’ve also had problems trying to add our names to the roll call…not sure if I’ve been successful!  😂

Getting excited now!

thank you.

12 minutes ago, Happietraveller said:

Hoping there will be some exercise classes or dance classes too.  

Sometimes there is morning yoga; and also sometimes an ass’t. CD will teach a dance class. Maybe you should offer your services!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Sometimes there is morning yoga; and also sometimes an ass’t. CD will teach a dance class. Maybe you should offer your services!

Thanks Linda…might do. I’m also a glass artist and visit seattle often.  I bow at the feet of Chihuly.  😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happietraveller said:

This seems to take me to a general forum?  Someone suggested there is an ‘activity’ roster for each ship?  But I can’t find it.  I guess I’ll wait to be surprised.  Thank you.

Go to top of this viking forum. You will see a link to Viking roll calls Hit the link. . Find your ship and hit the link . scroll down to your particular sailing .  this is your roll call and  you will find the folks on your upcoming cruise.Just  post your comment. 

Welcome to Viking cruises .  You will love the ship and various activities on sea days, and entertainment each eveing.  Not super fancy like a brawny production number but here good singers sand bands and  various guitarists,  classical groups  in the  bar areas in the evening. . 

20 hours ago, Azulann said:

Go to top of this viking forum. You will see a link to Viking roll calls Hit the link. . Find your ship and hit the link . scroll down to your particular sailing .  this is your roll call and  you will find the folks on your upcoming cruise.Just  post your comment. 

Welcome to Viking cruises .  You will love the ship and various activities on sea days, and entertainment each eveing.  Not super fancy like a brawny production number but here good singers sand bands and  various guitarists,  classical groups  in the  bar areas in the evening. . 

Thank you Azulann

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, miami mama said:

There's also a puzzle table that will have a 3,000 to 5,000 piece puzzle in progress. My husband enjoys puzzles but also the people he meets while working on it. 

I really like that table.  It's nice to stroll by and maybe find a corresponding piece on your way to somewhere else.  

36 minutes ago, miami mama said:

There's also a puzzle table that will have a 3,000 to 5,000 piece puzzle in progress. My husband enjoys puzzles but also the people he meets while working on it. 

Oooh.  I love puzzles! That’s where I’ll be!  😁

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 2:36 PM, Happietraveller said:

I’ve also had problems trying to add our names to the roll call…not sure if I’ve been successful!  😂

Getting excited now!

thank you.

The find your roll call doesn't always work, especially if the person who started it did not format the date correctly.  More accurate is a manual search. There is a separate cruise Critic forum for roll calls; I'd givevthe link but i can't do it on this tablet.  Find the Viking Roll Call forum, then find the ship you are sailing on, then scan the list for your sail date.  If you don't find one in the list, then no one has started a roll call for that date.

There is no official list kept. Because many people don'tuse the find your roll call tool (I didn't even know it was still working). Some choose to follow the thread only (aka lurk) while others enjoy chatting with fellow members.  If you are a chatter, then read what has been posted so far and them jump in by introducing yourself.

Also, choose to "follow" the roll call (chose daily notification to get one email a day with the last 24 hours worth of posts).

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The find your roll call doesn't always work, especially if the person who started it did not format the date correctly.  More accurate is a manual search. There is a separate cruise Critic forum for roll calls; I'd givevthe link but i can't do it on this tablet.  Find the Viking Roll Call forum, then find the ship you are sailing on, then scan the list for your sail date.  If you don't find one in the list, then no one has started a roll call for that date.

There is no official list kept. Because many people don'tuse the find your roll call tool (I didn't even know it was still working). Some choose to follow the thread only (aka lurk) while others enjoy chatting with fellow members.  If you are a chatter, then read what has been posted so far and them jump in by introducing yourself.

Also, choose to "follow" the roll call (chose daily notification to get one email a day with the last 24 hours worth of posts).

Thank you…as said before, I really find the CC site difficult!  I plan on getting some experttuition while on board.  😉