Just wondering about Retreat

LB_NJ

5 minutes ago, behtyas said:

They dropped free gratuities I believe.. at least I didn't see any for RS/EV/PH/IC mentioned anymore. Previous PH/EV sailings I immediately saw gratuities mentioned as included, for any sailings now, it's been removed from the "perks".

Hmm.  Must be something new since they are included on our next cruise which, in fairness, we booked well over a year ago.

Just another reason for us to leave X.  The crews on the ships have been fantastic but there are too many "corporate" changes that have driven us away.   We came back this year b/c we had such a great experience about 18 months ago on an X cruise.  But things have changed . . . for the worse, based on the things we value.

We have found the luxury lines a better option for us than X Retreat.  Plus, we prefer the smaller ships.   I realize that my view is subjective -- this isn't to denigrate X.  There are lines and ships out there for everyone.  X just isn't ours anymore.

1 hour ago, ggo85 said:

Hmm.  Must be something new since they are included on our next cruise which, in fairness, we booked well over a year ago.

It is new. Prepaid gratuities and standard OBC are no longer included in any new Retreat bookings..

Retreat bookings made before 4 October 2023 retain all three perks, but beware if you make a change to that booking the free gratuities will disappear. Retreat bookings made 4 October or subsequently receive only drinks and wi-fi, in spite of the price hike!

We have all three on our March cruise, booked well over a year ago.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:04 PM, ggo85 said:

We have found the luxury lines a better option for us than X Retreat.  Plus, we prefer the smaller ships.   I realize that my view is subjective -- this isn't to denigrate X.  There are lines and ships out there for everyone.  X just isn't ours anymore.

We came to the same conclusion last year. What we give up on 'vibe' and theatre production/variety we more than make up for on everything else. 

30 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

We came to the same conclusion last year. What we give up on 'vibe' and theatre production/variety we more than make up for on everything else. 

It's unfortunate.  There are some good aspects of X.  But more and more it feels like RCCL at a much higher price point.  Crowded ship that felt very crowded.  Overwhelmed staff (who did their utmost!).  Lots of cheapening of the experience -- little things here and there but they add up.  And now removing free gratuities for upper level suites.  

All of the above is fine if one wants a budget cruise.  But X is charging luxury prices (and more) -- especially in Retreat -- and not providing a luxury product.  

• Like 5

On 2/13/2024 at 8:40 AM, New Hampshire said:

We sailed on Silhouette in November in a Celebrity Suite and were able to mix and match anything we wanted from Luminae and/or the MDR.  I am not certain if this is available on the edge class ships due to the location if Luminae to the MDR on those ships.

I just sailed on the Celebrity Apex.  The waiter in Luminae was very reluctant to let me order anything from any of the other restaurants.  On Apex, Luminae is at the front of the ship and all other restaurants are at the back of the ship.  The Luminae waiter insisted that any dish I wanted from one of the other restaurants would take a long time and be cold by the time it got to the front of the ship.  I'm not sure if the waiter was being lazy or honest.  But to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the food and service in Luminae.  I actually ate in Blu more since the food and service were better there.  

I would not book Retreat for the restaurant.  I book Retreat because the rooms are so much nicer and I also really like Retreat lounge, which is a nice haven from the crowds in the rest of the ship.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ppanyan said:

I just sailed on the Celebrity Apex.  The waiter in Luminae was very reluctant to let me order anything from any of the other restaurants.  On Apex, Luminae is at the front of the ship and all other restaurants are at the back of the ship.  The Luminae waiter insisted that any dish I wanted from one of the other restaurants would take a long time and be cold by the time it got to the front of the ship.  I'm not sure if the waiter was being lazy or honest.  But to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the food and service in Luminae.  I actually ate in Blu more since the food and service were better there.  

I would not book Retreat for the restaurant.  I book Retreat because the rooms are so much nicer and I also really like Retreat lounge, which is a nice haven from the crowds in the rest of the ship.

19 minutes ago, New Hampshire said:

Are Retreat guests permitted to eat in Blu?

Yes, when there is availability. On my Edge cruise (albeit 5 years ago, but don't believe this has changed) we approached the Maitre d at Blu and asked to make a reservation for a particular night. It was not a problem.

1 hour ago, ppanyan said:

Luminae is not a place for selective "I only eat what I am used to " eaters.  There is a classic menu and also a kids menu available. The food is "different" but is well prepared and very good.  However, if you don't like that kind of food then you can always eat at Blu or MDR

The waiter was being honest. Someone has to run to the other end of the ship to retrieve one meal which takes away from him serving everyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/13/2024 at 10:37 AM, Liao said:

Anyone at all can dine at the specialty restaurants, anyone.  If one is in a royal suite or above though, the cost is already included, others must pay to dine there.

Signature suites are also all inclusive and have the same benefits/perks as RS, PH etc. Signature suites are only on Reflection - free mini bar and unlimited free specialty dining

On 2/13/2024 at 11:31 AM, LB_NJ said:

What about on Solstice or M class?  I don't like large ships.

If this published information about the passenger loads of Celebrity ships is correct, none of the E and S class ships, except Apex/Edge, are less than 3000 pax.  That leaves you with M-class (where ordering from MDR menu is no problem).  

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/12030112_CEL_FleetGuide.pdf

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

If this published information about the passenger loads of Celebrity ships is correct, none of the E and S class ships, except Apex/Edge, are less than 3000 pax.  That leaves you with M-class (where ordering from MDR menu is no problem).  

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/12030112_CEL_FleetGuide.pdf

Hmmm.  I did not realize that Ascent and Beyond were megaships...

9 hours ago, tfred said:

Luminae is not a place for selective "I only eat what I am used to " eaters.  There is a classic menu and also a kids menu available.

I’m not sure that people who are paying Retreat prices should be told it’s only a place for foodie snobs, otherwise eat elsewhere? Hardly the definition of good customer service.

I’ve experienced Luminae recently and would agree with others here that it was the least impressive of the suite perks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

I’m not sure that people who are paying Retreat prices should be told it’s only a place for foodie snobs, otherwise eat elsewhere? Hardly the definition of good customer service.

I’ve experienced Luminae recently and would agree with others here that it was the least impressive of the suite perks.

The menu is the menu in Luminae. I don’t consider it to be a foodie snob selection but many people don’t know what is in the menu until they arrive on board. Luminae will make reasonable accommodations for food concerns (GF, vegetarian etc) and plain eaters but it can’t be all things to all people. Suite pax can eat at Blu and the MDRs if the menu is not what they are used to. 

• Thanks 1

I was recently on Ascent back to back and it’s interesting to read this post. I did not like the food in Luminae on most nights, our second leg of the cruise I think I ate there 2 times. I would not book a suite for the specialty restaurant.

the cabins are very nice but without the butler it was not the same experience that we have had in the past. Now I hear they are bringing them back.

i do not think the price they charge for suites is worth what you get. If I sail celebrity again I will sail in a sunset balcony (if available) on edge class. A veranda on all others.

just my opinion. Shout out to all staff members though, they were wonderful.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tfred said:

Luminae is not a place for selective "I only eat what I am used to " eaters.  There is a classic menu and also a kids menu available. The food is "different" but is well prepared and very good.  However, if you don't like that kind of food then you can always eat at Blu or MDR

The waiter was being honest. Someone has to run to the other end of the ship to retrieve one meal which takes away from him serving everyone else. 

Excellent description of Luminae.   Personally I wouldn't want to pay suite prices and eat in a restaurant that serves a boneless, skinless chicken breast and baked potato.   A poster above criticized the service in Luminae.  He must have eaten in a different Luminae than I did a few weeks ago also on Apex.   The service is outstanding and the staff will go out of their way to make sure you are happy with your meal.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tfred said:

The menu is the menu in Luminae. I don’t consider it to be a foodie snob selection but many people don’t know what is in the menu until they arrive on board. Luminae will make reasonable accommodations for food concerns (GF, vegetarian etc) and plain eaters but it can’t be all things to all people. Suite pax can eat at Blu and the MDRs if the menu is not what they are used to. 

At the prices they charge they really should make what people want.  Even if they have to cook special meals for individuals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseRQA said:

Excellent description of Luminae.   Personally I wouldn't want to pay suite prices and eat in a restaurant that serves a boneless, skinless chicken breast and baked potato.   A poster above criticized the service in Luminae.  He must have eaten in a different Luminae than I did a few weeks ago also on Apex.   The service is outstanding and the staff will go out of their way to make sure you are happy with your meal.  

Cured tuna, salmon sashimi, beef tartare, pig's foot carpaccio... just some of the delicacies currently on the Luminae menu.  Celebrity couldn't pay me to eat any of those.  And please don't tell me that my palate just isn't refined enough.  When I'm on vacation, I want to eat food that I will enjoy, not a bunch of raw food that someone else has defined as elevated cuisine.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 10:05 AM, LB_NJ said:

I mean it is a major part of the suite cost.  If you don't like the food options then a suite doesn't really make sense on Celebrity.

the room is bigger than a infinite veranda,  The sun deck on E Class is great. The Retreat lounge is very calm and relaxing when you don't need any noise. 

You can tell the Luminae staff about your food concerns and they can make general changes to the menu   You can also eat in Blu or the MDR

• Like 2

I must be an outlier (not the first time!).  😇

I get that Luminae is not for everyone, but it's been fantastic on each cruise I've taken (varying degrees of fantastic, but never less than excellent).  To be fair we often do specialty restaurants and try to eat at Blu 1-2x too, so we never eat every meal at Luminae.  There are also often dishes I do not care for.  But there are also always apps and entrees that I really like.  

As for service, it's always been warm and professional.  I recall one time on the Millie when my younger teenager asked for Nutella during our first breakfast--the waiter abashedly apologized that they didn't have it.  He then spent 20 minutes scouring the ship for a jar, which he eventually found.  And he was sure to have it waiting at our table for every breakfast for the rest of the cruise. Above and beyond is my experience.

Having said this, I always booked the Retreat first for the cabin, second for the lounge and third for Luminae.

Edited by Whinenowine
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, tfred said:

I seem to have started a bit of a storm with my initial comments on Luminae.  My issue is not necessarily with the menu, which had some interesting dishes listed.  My disappointment was with the quality of the food.  Case in point:  One night I ate at Le Petite Chef and had lobster.  I was blown away with how fantastic the lobster tasted.  Another night I ordered lobster at Luminae.  There the lobster was no better than lobster cooked at a chain restaurant.  Similar situation with a few other dishes.  I will concede, though, that the duck at Luminae was one exceptional dish I did have there.

Edited by ppanyan

2 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Cured tuna, salmon sashimi, beef tartare, pig's foot carpaccio... just some of the delicacies currently on the Luminae menu.  Celebrity couldn't pay me to eat any of those.  And please don't tell me that my palate just isn't refined enough.  When I'm on vacation, I want to eat food that I will enjoy, not a bunch of raw food that someone else has defined as elevated cuisine.

You listed 4 items.   I didn't eat the cured tuna, salmon sashimi or beef tartare either.    But the pig's foot carpaccio is outstanding!   How can something that sounds so bad taste so good?    Everyone likes different things and I think the menu in the Luminae is varied enough to suit every palate.   When paying suite prices I do expect something a few notches above my local Applebees.   And there is nothing wrong with Applebees. 

• Like 2