Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

22 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

What a great performance today by the ones that learned the ukulele & hula!  Well done to all! 

IMG_3458.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpeg

Oh we're going to a hukilau

Huki-huki-huki-huki-hukilau

Everybody loves the hukilau

Where the laulau is kaukau at the lu'au 

LOVE this part of the cruise! So much fun. Yall LOOK GREAT. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

This trip is simply decadent. D.E.C.A.D.E.N.T— The weather is lovely. Pool temp is perfect, and there is enough of a breeze to keep me cool in my cocoon on deck 10 when I’m not participating in Tia chi, morning dancing, or swimming. 

Last night was a dance party at bbkings. I can’t tell you how much I am loving that band. The vibe is just perfect for dancing all night. As i mentioned, i am more suited to the playlist in Rolling Stones, but the band in BBKing brings exceptional talent and way more energy.

I think the two story venue is perfect for the level of sound produced. I can’t imagine a band with this much gusto playing in rolling stones with its low ceilings. It’s loud but I just turn down my hearing aids and get busy on the dance floor!! Racked up another 20k steps yesterday. 

Oh- There was also a costume party happening at the same time in bbkings, but it was typical cruise ship lame where 4 people dressed up, we applauded, then we immediately got back to dancing. 

Tonight is dressy. There is no complimentary lobster on the menu. I’m a bit perplexed why they had a dressy night immediately preceding a port day. It’s not like this itinerary lacks for port days. I have been invited to catelletto tonight by some of my new favorite people. As such am not eating anything but a small bowl of oatmeal at 7:30 am. Girls gotta prime.

There are a few other things I find perplexing onboard. One is that they do not repeat activities  on the TV, nor do they repeat Kristins port talks. Seriously HaL, float into 2024!! They are missing a huge monetary opportunity not filming all the activities throughout the cruise and then selling a $1.99 thumb drive for $49.99 like all the other cruise lines. I can see not videotaping copyrighted performances but line dancing and port talks are fair game.

I would love to listen to Kristen’s port talks, but not at 4:30 when she gives them. Why is it too much to replay them on the tv so we can catch up at our leisure? There are lots of complaints on the social media pages about the same thing so it’s not just me being entitled. It’s about using technology to enhance a guests experience. 

I wanted to watch several of my friends perform the hula and ukulele today at 1:00 but missed it because a) the app has stopped notifying us when events are about to happen. Instead we get a notification a few hours late and b) I was dripping wet from the pool. I put in another request for activities to be filmed and some higher energy music at the lido from 1-3 (I’d like it all day but am willing to compromise). I’m pretty sure these two requests are falling of deaf ears. I am pleased to say that every staff compliment has made it to the staff member because they keep thanking me so we know that is working.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m having a fabulous time. In over 50 cruises spanning 4 decades; this is absolutely one of my favorites and we haven’t even made it to this reason I booked (French polynesia). I totally understand, and accept, that I’m not HAls target audience, but I suggest to HAl that they pay a bit more attention to us retired Gen Xers as we are quickly becoming a large market share. 

Ok enough silly babble. Just talking out loud ( I said l was pausing the food not alcohol ;).)

Heres a few photos and tonight’s menu. I’ll try to post dinner in Caneletto later. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I’m in picture posting jail again. Will catch up later.

@canadianbear it has nothing to do with your package. Cruise critic doesn’t like videos. I have premium. I can sometimes get a very short video to post.

Oh ok. I was tempted to upgrade my wifi but won’t then, thanks! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

ADF82AEE-7D7E-4C7A-BFF3-B2214ED20E3C.jpeg

We have entered the waters of French Polynesia.

Pool has been busy today. The water was actually warmer after they drained and cleaned the pool due to the Neptune Ceremony.

A2C0ADBE-E0DB-4839-B186-7C48CE246C3B.jpeg

Lunch menu

CD3EC018-DF8D-4B81-85E9-9C29E1354C47.jpeg

3rd dressy dinner menu

D510A0D0-7CCC-45FE-B636-D5219FB4773C.jpeg

had a bit of liquid sunshine pop thru…

CD8295C9-222D-4C87-8610-6D3791DFF5AD.jpeg

Daily’s for March 4th. We have finally put that international dateline chaos behind us (literally).

6D1D17B0-3C2D-4C7B-8AD5-2759BF37C3A0.jpeg

DB1498AE-4B32-468D-A631-B00DFE8FDFCE.jpeg

E408E5D0-2665-4C30-B463-DE80F3C0C482.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

had a bit of liquid sunshine pop thru…

oh my...are you Scottish?? Last time I heard that expression was when I was in  Scotland last year. Very common over there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@pmjnh nope, but I love lots of Scottish folks. I’m 💯 Polish and proud, but we get a lot of 10

minute showers in Kapalua, Maui so it’s pretty standard term we use there.

We have arrived at Gillian’s Island (aka Raiatea). The Captain opened up the bow at 6 am for the sail in. Took us 2 hours from when we crossed into the reef

at Tahaa (see photo below for where we crossed into the reef area) until we docked. Just spectacular! 

7981A165-6980-4CF6-8650-183840AF8BE5.jpeg

247BF6BD-79BF-472E-8A54-7E6D97D53DB6.jpeg

EFC978A5-91D7-4C4D-AD28-B989C0CA4DCF.jpeg

8B7BFF18-996C-4D4A-8008-1B25C27BD53D.jpeg

6D94474B-0715-4344-B24A-860C03166A63.jpeg

Current location

13906CE6-9C4C-4FF7-9829-92822B977DC6.jpeg

we entered the protected reef area in the north west section of Tahaa and sailed south East to our current location. 

A95D026E-F159-40EA-8ECA-276FB0D48DD6.jpeg

This was our route (sorry, I don’t have time to make the red line perfect but you get the jist- enter north in Tahaa and sail south and across to Uturoa, Raiatea. 

94799E24-D5DB-4668-B5BB-4C9795D3343C.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

We have finally put that international dateline chaos behind us (literally

So what happens when you cross the line again to come back?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, TableGirl said:

So what happens when you cross the line again to come back?  

We already did. We had no Feb 29 but two March 3rd. It’s March 5th now (same as North America). 

Apparently we move clocks 30 minutes in a few days. Not sure what that’s about other than to keep guests in a perpetual state of confusion 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t  have any ship info for you because I didn’t spend anytime on the ship. 

Some of my people and I hired a water taxi to take us to a Motu just south of the ship. It’s where locals hang out. It was basically like landing on Gillian’s Island. For the most part the island was deserted with exception of a friendly black tip shark and sting ray (although there were more people as the day progressed). 

The motu is advertised as having showers but they were fibbing. There were restrooms (bring your own toilet paper). The snorkeling from shore was excellent (bring fins, strong current).

We were only planning on staying a few hours but ended up there the entire day. By the time we water taxied back to the ship all the stores were closed. I was hungry, did the lido. Fourth time this cruise they have had prime rib on the buffet and not in the MDR. They were also fresh grilling mahi mahi again. I’ll make it into the dining room  at some point, but I am totally satisfied with the lido fresh grill and yummy salad bar. 

I’ll let the photos speak for themselves, I have no words….:l

032B4DE2-2B9D-4FA2-B1D1-9EB13383B586.jpeg

21D42D99-ECAD-47E7-A016-9A369181AAED.jpeg

D79814E7-B866-44F7-A6C4-D0C1E497F110.jpeg

DE3F8EEF-574D-49F5-9117-E0EB6AF0FF7B.jpeg

DF006F50-4B68-4124-BF67-F10C905CE23F.jpeg

BCB32252-AAB1-49EF-9EF9-FA2A5010E9A6.jpeg

945B2B4E-85B2-47C3-846D-D41C9E27E548.jpeg

B5B60D94-6C86-4948-88C4-EFC2C809D716.jpeg

Tonight’s dinner menu-

78038A30-86B4-4A33-98A6-260B257DD05A.jpeg

27DEB4FB-45ED-49DF-B9CB-A19300111E9F.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

First day in Moorea- we have 4 reservations for a 4 hour tour of the island from Torea Nui transports in an AC van, starting at noon for $85, (so you don’t need to worry about timing the tender so much). Only need 2.  Would anyone like to join us?  Room 4116 or Mary Bean on chat

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g13322514-d19512865-Reviews-TOREA_NUI_TRANSPORTS_ACTIVITES_MOOREA-Paopao_Moorea_Society_Islands.html

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have no words….:l

That best describes the pictures you sent!  Wow!

Looks much like the "best island stop ever" we visited on the 2022 Westerdam Fall Transpacific, at Papua New Guinea's Conflict Islands.  Two days there of essentially untouched South Pacific perfection!  I wish HAL would stop there more frequently on its Transpacific trips, we got lucky!

Keep up your great photos!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CNSJ said:

That best describes the pictures you sent!  Wow!

Looks much like the "best island stop ever" we visited on the 2022 Westerdam Fall Transpacific, at Papua New Guinea's Conflict Islands.  Two days there of essentially untouched South Pacific perfection!  I wish HAL would stop there more frequently on its Transpacific trips, we got lucky!

Keep up your great photos!

That sounds amazing.  Did you have a tour there or just find a beach?  We are headed there in January. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

That sounds amazing.  Did you have a tour there or just find a beach?  We are headed there in January. 

The island is just that, a beach and amazing snorkeling.  No tours that I know of, just bliss. There is a floating dock for tenders and the island.  Unspoiled,

• Like 4

On 3/3/2024 at 4:52 PM, Moo1957 said:

I’m on this cruise next year and am booking with Viatour in the places where we have an overnight stay.  Using my HAL credits for the one day stops.  I like the guarantee that they hold the ship if one of their excursions is late. 

Is their site .com? Do you have any must have from them? I am very interested.

33 minutes ago, coatesm said:

Is their site .com? Do you have any must have from them? I am very interested.

Yes it’s Viatour.com. I booked the  Luxury Pearl Harbor US Arizona tour.